Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I got my stuff in today for my SS build but they accidentally sent me an 11 degree sweep (salsa pro-moto) instead of the 5 i asked for. my other bikes are almost perfectly flat. The rest of my shop told me that an 11 sweep would be awesome and I would love it, It kinda makes sense since it is an SS and will have a wider bar, but im not sure.....

Anyone have any insight on high sweep bars?

·
I can't ride 45!
1,158 Posts
Guital2 said:
Well I got my stuff in today for my SS build but they accidentally sent me an 11 degree sweep (salsa pro-moto) instead of the 5 i asked for. my other bikes are almost perfectly flat. The rest of my shop told me that an 11 sweep would be awesome and I would love it, It kinda makes sense since it is an SS and will have a wider bar, but im not sure.....

I have a titec flattracker and it is great -- has the sweep of their risers without the rise.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
moose8500 said:
how exactly does more swept bars make the ride more confy?? I currently have a maybe 5 degree sweep bar....
Well the theory is.....reach out and put your hands strait in front of you now reach them aorund to your side......your arms complete a half circle....the backsweep is supposed to compensate for that....wider bar should be more comfortable with more sweep to conform to your extension.

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
Another Flat Tracker user here. I don't particularly embrace risers over flat bars, but was impressed with how constrained (i.e. narrow) my previous flat bars were in comparison. Wide and flat with a decent amount of sweep is good for opening up my breathing and doesn't get in the way of the mostly wide-open trails that I ride.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Keep the sweep.........

Guital2 said:

If you've never ridden with over 10 degrees of sweep then you should try them.....
11 degrees is nothing......many people prefer more...
Much nicer on your wrists....and they put your hands in a better position/angle for climbing.

You will love it.......and next year you'll be looking for some 15 degree bars.
Don't get stuck into the group-think rut about bars. More people.......NO, most people should be experimenting with different/better bars.
Just because the bikes normally come with 5 degree or less bars doesn't mean its best.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well that helps with my confidence....thanks Chester.....

Its a pretty sweet bar, a few people I work with want to buy it, but I think I will give it a shot first.....gonna be a spicy bike, almost all salsa components, put the Salsa SS ring on my Hone crank today it is frickin beautifull...:) sorry Im just really excited!!!

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh....Tim.....just tryin to make a long story short and save the exploitation of my ignorance.

for those who care I was 1 part number off when I ordered the bar......

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.