Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

What do you think of the red spider PG990 Cassette

• Love it! Give it another try.

Votes: 9 81.8%
  • Hate it! Go back to Shimano

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Its okay, try another SRAM model.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lose some weight so you don't ruin your drivetrain!

Votes: 1 9.1%
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking forward to getting the red spider PG-990 for well over a year now. Finally got one and took the bling to the trail today. I got the 11-34 on a FS 29er.

After about 8 miles, my shifting went down the tubes. This never happens since I've changed to the SRAM drivetrain (minus the cassette and crank), I'd expect it with Shimano. So I pull off the trail, and the 34 tooth cog is bent out about 3/8 of an inch. I didn't see any rock strike marks, so I assume this had to be a torque issue causing the bend. I was pretty unhappy to have a bent cog on my first ride with over 7 miles to go and 3 cogs out of order!

I'm not sure at this point if I should replace this cassette with another PG990, or go back go Shimano XT. Looking at the product reviews, it looks like most people that reviewed this cassette in 2006 have been happy. I don't want to give up on a product after only one ride, but I sure don't want to continue shelling out money for a new cassette every ride!

So the question is, anybody else had similar problems? I'm interested to hear what you think. Thanks!

·
bang
1,290 Posts
well, bent cogs are not uncommon if you sort through the reviews (especially xt reviews). instead of the 990, you might want to consider the 980. black, instead of red and only 10 grams heavier than the 990 (but costs much less).

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will check out that 980

Cyco-Dude said:
well, bent cogs are not uncommon
I've been riding MTN trails for almost 15 years now, and until this month had never bent a cassette. Now I've got this PG990 and an XT (which served me well for 1 1/2 years) both out of commish just in Jan alone. Maybe I just hit a run of bad luck.

I've a friend that repeatedly bent cogs, but in that case it was XTR. Thought his problem was going with the light racey components. He said after switching to XT he never had any problems. Now he's got the 07 XTR, have to see how its doing for him.

Now that I think about it, I never owned a 29er before the past two months either. I'm starting to wonder if that may have something to do with my cassette luck. Since getting the 29er I've been twisting the heck out of some PC991 chains as well.

I'll have to run to the LBS tomorrow and see what those guys suggest. Meanwhile, I'll check out the 980. Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Trying a little
1,781 Posts
get any tire rub on that 29er when cranking it ... maybe stand up attacks are torque twisting the rear triangle resulting in the chain twist and cog tweak?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no tire rub that I've heard

dusthuffer said:
get any tire rub on that 29er when cranking it ... maybe stand up attacks are torque twisting the rear triangle resulting in the chain twist and cog tweak?
I haven't heard any rubbin on the rear, though I haven't been listening closely for it either. But I wouldn't doubt it is from stand up attacks as you point out. But how to tell if it is from the rear triangle getting sideways?

·
Registered
536 Posts
I've had real good luck with the 970s (running shimano drivetrains). The advantage of the 970s being not welded together I can break the cogset down and set just the ratios I want. Then, when it comes to replacing the chain, I just replace the upper cogs that are more worn.
(using cogs from a cheaper pg 850 ~ 22 bucks which also can be broken down so you can use the individal cogs)

·
Never enough time to ride
1,577 Posts
Hmm, haven't seen a bent 990 yet, I've been using mine for about 6 months and no issues. Shifting has been consistant and crisp and no discernable wear. I'm 220 lbs and tend to mash the pedals.

I've set custy's up with 990's and 980's and they've both been reliable and trouble free. Think yer just havin a run of bad luck there, sorry to hear it.

happy trails...

squish

·
Feeding your addiction
2,648 Posts
squish said:
Hmm, haven't seen a bent 990 yet, I've been using mine for about 6 months and no issues. Shifting has been consistant and crisp and no discernable wear. I'm 220 lbs and tend to mash the pedals.

I've set custy's up with 990's and 980's and they've both been reliable and trouble free. Think yer just havin a run of bad luck there, sorry to hear it.

happy trails...

squish
I have to agree with Squish here, just bad luck with that one maybe. I see far more bent XT's than anything else. Very very rare that I've seen a bent 990, only a couple out of a couple hundred of those I've sold.

Larry
Mountain High Cyclery
[email protected]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.