Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
W/O the cost of the rim, how much can one expect to pay for spokes, nipples, spoke prep? i'd like to build a set, my first try, using either 819s or DT 5.1s and 14/15 spokes.

do spokes truly make that much of difference between the comps, supers, or whatever DT and Wheelsmith has?

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
I usually buy spokes from Mike at oddsandendos.com. Cost is as low as I've seen, 60 cents per spoke with your choice of nipple + $6 for Priority Mail 2 day ship. He will even double check the length for you.

There are some differences between DT and WS spokes. The Wheelsmith DB14 are actually 14/16 and have less taper butting than DT Swiss. If you are a heavier guy looking for stiffer wheels, DT might be the way to go. Otherwise, the lower priced WS are fine.

As recommended by Mike T., I use anti seize for the nipple threads and marine grease for the eyelets. Works great and will still be there years later.

·
A wheelist
5,991 Posts
how much can one expect to pay for spokes, nipples, spoke prep?
Surf around LBSs and mailorders and get prices. Spoke Prep (upper case letters) - same answer but I'd suggest saving a WHOLE pile of money and using spoke prep consisting of grease for the nipple seats and anti-seize compound for the threads.

do spokes truly make that much of difference between the comps, supers, or whatever DT and Wheelsmith has?
The difference between Comps and Supercomps is a butted threaded end, the lack of which will save you a minor amount of weight. The answer to your question is "No".

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.