Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well last year i decided to get into mountain biking and got a specialized hardrock 29er...that lasted for about 3 months and I sold that and built a Specialized Stumpy 29er...so some where in there I also rented a Trek Scratch and ran some of the lift access DH trails at Burke Mountain in East Burke VT... now having a friend that owns a bike shop does not help with my toy addiction and he calls me the other day to say there is a 2011 Big Hit 3 with a Boxxer RC on the scratch/dent list for specialized...well I had him order it today!!!

Ever since renting that Scratch i've been wanting to do more DH but paying $100 a day to rent a bike doesnt seem rational...

So since i'm new to DH what do i need to invest in? I figure i'll use my ATV helmet for now till i wanna splurge on something lighter. I'm probably going to look for full armor but what do you guys recomend? Also what type of shoes do you wear?

I'll be riding at places like Whiteface Mountain in NY, probably Bromant in Quebec, Burke Mountain in VT and Highland in NH.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Get leg armor first! My first trip downhilling was to whiteface and I had realized that it was very stupid to not bring pads. I have the storm leg armor and it fits perfect, you just need to find armor that wont slide down your legs while riding.

Good luck and have fun this season.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ruralrider528 said:
Get leg armor first! My first trip downhilling was to whiteface and I had realized that it was very stupid to not bring pads. I have the storm leg armor and it fits perfect, you just need to find armor that wont slide down your legs while riding.

Good luck and have fun this season.
i'll look into that...see what my buddy can get at the shop.

do you go to whiteface very often?

·
Registered
682 Posts
Great choice of bikes man. I considered the big hit but went with the SX Trail.
Which fork is on that? The Domain RC? The 318 is so plush, I assume that one is too. Enjoy it man!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
FisherCraig said:
Great choice of bikes man. I considered the big hit but went with the SX Trail.
Which fork is on that? The Domain RC? The 318 is so plush, I assume that one is too. Enjoy it man!
my buddy who owns the shop has the SX trail...its so sweet! I couldnt pass up the deal on the Big Hit...it has a Boxxer RC on it...the factory fork from what i've read is the flaw of the bike. Being that it was a demo from specialized they must have figured out it was a flaw too. I believe the Boxxer is a much better fork than the Domain.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Slinky750 said:
my buddy who owns the shop has the SX trail...its so sweet! I couldnt pass up the deal on the Big Hit...it has a Boxxer RC on it...the factory fork from what i've read is the flaw of the bike. Being that it was a demo from specialized they must have figured out it was a flaw too. I believe the Boxxer is a much better fork than the Domain.
As far as I know it is..
The Domain is just a simple coil with basic adjustments. It does the job, but it does it fairly well.
I can't wait to get my SXT out on the trails this year.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
FisherCraig said:
As far as I know it is..
The Domain is just a simple coil with basic adjustments. It does the job, but it does it fairly well.
I can't wait to get my SXT out on the trails this year.
well if you ever come down this way...i'm near Plattsburgh NY let me know and we can meet up at whiteface! I just had an awesome day of boarding, but i'm jonsing to start riding my mountain bikes!

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have two bighit bikes.

The domain will do the job fairly well. It is plush suspension with occasional bottom out ( I'm 200 lbs, maybe that is why ).

Tips : If the domain in your bike is 302 model ( no adjustment at all on top of the fork ), you may add more suspension oil to make it more progressive. Important : make sure you fill it 1cm or 2cm below the threads. Try 2cm below the thread first and feel how is it going.

I replaced the crank with 22-32-bash. I need new crank pedal because I have to climb up the mountain before down hilling. Buy raceface lightweight crank pedal ?

I also buy direct mount front deraileur : shimano xtr or xt.

·
Living the High Life
4,542 Posts
Good call on a scratch and dent Bit Hit. You really can't get more bang for your buck when getting into the sport.

For protection...get all the gear; knee, full armor and consider a neck brace. For shoes if you're running flats you won't beat 5.10s. Look around online and you can find a deal.

AFTER you have shin guards put in some longer set screws into your pedals. With the 5.10s your feet will feel like they're glued to your pedals.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
810 Posts
Ithnu said:
AFTER you have shin guards put in some longer set screws into your pedals.
+1 on getting full coverage shin guards FIRST as those pedals screws can really get you good (the only damage I did the first time). I have a few and the Roach/RaceFace downhill (out of business :() are the best (don't more at all and can wear all day unlike my fox ones where dirt gets in and starts grinding at your skin).

A full body armor is a must where I ride (Northstar, CA - tons of rocks) and saved me on my second ride BIG TIME. hit pedal and flew very hard into a rock and would have broken a bunch of ribs or wose had I not wear a hard plastic shell. I have the Fox Sport (hard plastic black, not the soft red one) - very confortable, inexpensive (<100 online)

Neck brace is nice to get - who wants to be paralized ? leatt can be pricey at $400+. but I was able to get one for $200 used. Better be safe...

Of course full helmet is the first thing to get. Sounds like you have one otherwise you can't beat the Remedy (inexpensive, comfy, lots of ventilation).
Full finger gloves, padded shorts, and flat shoes that stick really good (I switched to clipped in, but may try flats again now that I have good shin guards)

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ya i think whiteface doesnt open until june 17 when they have the mountain bike festival. I'm going down to Jersey this weekend with my Stumpy to hopefully find some dry trails to ride around my sisters place.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.