Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm replacing the 100mm 2003 Marzocchi MX Pro ETA fork on my 2005 Paragon with a rigid Exotic fork. Do I go with the 46.5cm or the 44.5cm? The offset is the same for both and it will be disk mount only. Will the 44.5cm be any stiffer? steer better? make me a better person? Will there be tire clearance issues?

http://www.carboncycles.cc/?s=0&t=0&c=43&p=200&

Attachments

·
Expert Crasher
6,359 Posts
46.5mm will be closer to the AtoC of your current fork, though probably still short.

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
I think he meant a taller crown race when he said "fatter base plate or similar solution"

The taller crown race will lengthen the AC height a bit methinks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, I get it. Chris King has this on their site: "For fork crown and downtube interference issues such as those you may find on 29ers and extra-small size mountain bikes we offer a +5mm baseplate in a stainless steel 1-1/8" size."

·
Powered by ice cream.
6,359 Posts
I got the 465mm version to replace the Zion rigid and dropped an easy pound off the front..

Smoking deal considering it is a WB Rock Solid clone for 1/2 the price.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Angry bunny
4,948 Posts
Rode the On One fork a couple of weeks ago.
Cannot say that I noticed any difference between it and my Origin 8 (same as Exotic, same as Rock Solid).
The distributor tells me that it has no weight limit vs the others mentioned and inferred it was somehow superior, but to my eye it was almost identical.
I would save the $ if it was me.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Anyone else ride both the Exotic and the On One carbon?

That was my next question: Is the extra $100 worth the 5mm increase in offset (42mm vs 47mm) and 5mm increase in AtoC (465mm vs 470mm)?

The stachions are 36mm on the On One and 34mm for the eXotic. Do larger diameter tubes make any difference for carbon? Is one flexier than the other?

Also, there's no weight limit for the On One. I'm 195lbs.

·
Registered
317 Posts
465 if you want suspension corrected, 445 if you want un-coreected, although my bike came with a 100mm corrected fork, i am thinking of getting the 445, because i use my bike for everything, and want to put fenders on it.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but when they say "suspension corrected" doesn't that include fork sag? So a 490mm sus fork be replaced with a 465mm rigid if you take into account a few cms of sag.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.