Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any problems putting this tire on my stock 2005 Paragon? (Bontrager 29'er Disc Rims)

I'm essentially fed up with the Bontrager Jones ACX tires and have no confidence in them:
- easily torn paper-thin sidewall (x2)
- ruptured Kevlar bead in two places (front tire on asphalt!!)

I'm 215 lbs and ride singletrack with many roots, rock gardens, loose rocks, and fairly steep (but short) ascents/descents

I've been riding the ACX's at anywhere from 40 - 50 lbs.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Hey Rob, welcome to the forums after 2 or 3 months of lurking (sept join date), good to have to here!

The Exi's aren't any wider than the commonly used Bontrager XR fronts, which seem to also fit fine in the rear end of most modern hardtails. Exi 2.3 is not a superwide tire, it is however reported to be much tougher/more durable. I'm sure if your wheels are straight an nicely tensioned, you'll be fine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cloxxki said:
Hey Rob, welcome to the forums after 2 or 3 months of lurking (sept join date), good to have to here!

The Exi's aren't any wider than the commonly used Bontrager XR fronts, which seem to also fit fine in the rear end of most modern hardtails. Exi 2.3 is not a superwide tire, it is however reported to be much tougher/more durable. I'm sure if your wheels are straight an nicely tensioned, you'll be fine.
Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
78 Posts
jbogner said:
They fit fine on my '05 Paragon. Great tire. Maxxis Ignitors are also great, if your looking for similar performance, but lighter.
I use Maxxis Ignitors and love them, really quick and literally float over sand. The Exiwolfs are glued to the dirt. Awesome traction, love 'em too. Noticably heavy compared to the ignitors though. Seems like the Exiwolfs stick the loose sandy and rocky stuff a tad better.

·
Tree Hugger
286 Posts
Acx Sux

b12yan88 said:
ehh yeah i hated my acx too.
I have a 2005 Rig. It's all stock except the seat and the tires (yes, I still have the headset that is reported to be horrible). I tore the sidewall on the front ACX within a few weeks. Then I went to check the back tire a few weeks later and it actually had 3 sidewall tears. I do ride lots of rocks and am rough on tires, but I have never had this poor of an experience with tires.

I replaced the ACXs with some Exiwolfs and have since beat the heck out of them for 3 months. They are still in great shape. Yea, they're a little heavy, but the peace of mind is well worth it.

Right now I can't imagine using Bontrager tires again.

~Reed

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
We rarely tear sidewalls over here. An AcX front for me does great on loose over hardpack, lots of bite.
XR's are superb on sand/pine trails, I can't imagine giving up Bontrager for tires right now. :)

·
Tree Hugger
286 Posts
Cloxxki said:
We rarely tear sidewalls over here. An AcX front for me does great on loose over hardpack, lots of bite.
XR's are superb on sand/pine trails, I can't imagine giving up Bontrager for tires right now. :)
Yea, I have read lots of people who have no problems with their Bontragers. It boggles my mind, but I'm glad it works for you. I did like the performance of the tires. Well, at least until my tubes started exploding becausing they were trying to get out of my tire via a tear in the sidewall. That was scary.

~R

·
Feet back and spread 'em!
624 Posts
exi fits rig?

hey reedster, I have an '05 Rig also, but I thought I read on here that an exi wouldn't fit on the back. if it will I'm all for trying it. what kind of mud clearance do you have on the back?

·
Tree Hugger
286 Posts
Exi clearance on Rig

bikecop said:
hey reedster, I have an '05 Rig also, but I thought I read on here that an exi wouldn't fit on the back. if it will I'm all for trying it. what kind of mud clearance do you have on the back?
Hmm, maybe I have my model years messed up. I have the older purple one, but I bought it in '05 so I thought that was the model year. It fits the Exis just fine. I am not near the bike right now, but I bet I have about 5/16" or so on each side of the tire. My rear wheel is being re-tensioned right now so it's not in the frame.

I think the Black Rig is an '06 and it is supposed to have tire clearance issues.

Sorry about the confusion.

~Reed

·
luckiest of the unlucky
478 Posts
I run Exi's on my 05 Paragon and like them very much. They're wire bead and they're really friggin heavy. I think Santa may be bringing me some kevlar beaded Exi's for Xmas. Anyone know what the weight difference between the two is?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.