Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Just Ride!
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe I missed a thread somewhere, but does anyone else feel great disappointment with the WTB ExiWolf? I thought even though the tire was somewhat heavier than the MotoRaptor I had been running, it should have been the great do all tire I had been looking for.

The following chart shows the dimensions I recorded on both tires mounted up tubeless to Ritchey 700 Rock Pro rims set at 30psi.<table border=1>
<tr><td>Tire</td><td>Case Width</td><td>Knob Width</td><td> Tire Height</td></tr>
<tr><td>MotoRaptor</td><td>1.985 (50.42)</td><td>2.110 (53.60)</td><td>1.965 (49.91)</td></tr>
<tr><td>ExiWolf</td><td>2.050 (52.07)</td><td>2.170 (55.12)</td><td>2.185 (55.50)</td></tr></table>

What I expected.
From pictures, I though it would roll like a NanoRaptor since the knobs were spaced so close together, yet have better traction in the wet since it had a larger footprint. I also thought that it would roll faster than the MotoRaptor, yet offer more cushion with the larger volume.

What I got.
A tire that had so much rolling resistance that I felt the constant need to pedal in the flats on hard pack, no more coasting as with the MotoRaptor. My typical 10 mile loop of flowing Midwest single track was an all out work fest and at one point I stopped and lifted the bike to spin the wheels, checking for brake drag. I also did not perceive the extra cushion I was looking to gain on my KM forked Supercal 29.

The bottom line.
This if of course just my opinion and in all fairness to WTB, if I had used these tires with tubes as they were designed, I may have had a completely different experience. Under the circumstances I used the tire in, I feel it was disappointing and would not work in any of my riding situations. The MotoRaptor still remains my favorite all rounder.

·
Witty McWitterson
5,023 Posts
so you wann get rid of that Exi? I'll be happy to try it out. :D I don't care if its been used...

·
Squalor
1,573 Posts
I am not being critical here, but I have had a very different experience.

I have been riding a steel 29er geared hardtail w/ a KM fork with Moto's front and rear. Last week I got my set of Exi's and put one on the front.

I rode the bike with the Exi for the first time at the Womble in Ark last weekend (as a kind of dry run for the Ouachita Challenge this weekend).

Now granted I weigh about 165 lbs with riding gear, and I was running the front at 20psi and the rear at 23 psi (both tubed), but I was very pleased with both the cush and the traction of the Exi as compared to the Moto.

I love the Moto as a rear tire because of the great traction while climbing, but with the front Exi, I was really able to lay the bike over in some high speed turns and let the thing rail w/o fear of the front end washing out. I was very pleased.

It is interesting to me that you had a completely opposite experience. I guess it could be the psi or the rider weight; though I do not know what you weigh.

I did add a Ti seatpost for the ride...bike was setup normally otherwise.

Interesting....

LP

·
Just Ride!
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Matini - I am going to give them one more chance, but I suspect they may be on your bike before long!

lanpope - That is curious when comparing our results, though maybe the tube plays a part. I weigh in at 145.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
A slow grippy tire on the front only makes a very big ositive impact, while when you also put it on the rear, the increased drag will about triple, and make the increased traction and cush seem hardly worth. Fast tire rear, big heavy slow tire front, that often feels very ood for me. But, that's just a statement from my 26" days, of course.

·
Recovering Weight Weenie
8,821 Posts
I think we've got a case of the Princess and the Pea here, eh? =)

Dude... that's weird that you hate it so much.

Perhaps you were having an off day already that day and took out your frustrations on the tire? That's happened to me...

I happen to LOVE the Exi.

Yes, it's heavier and rolls a bit more slowly. Not to the point that you described though!

But what it lacks in that dept. it MORE than makes up in the great traction, tough sidewalls dept.

I just wish I could fit one on the back of my Vulture!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Since I'm not a fast rider by a vast stretch of anybodies imagination, and prefer a energy-sucking soft cushy tire, this sounds like and IDEAL tire for my SS.....

Lanpope, "dry-run" would be an understatement after all the rain we had last night and today.

·
Who turned out the lights
1,127 Posts
Warren, something tells me that you were riding out at Smithville. I'm thinking that the Moto is probably a more perfect tire for Smithville, since we don't have a ton of rocks out there, and it's really a fast flowing trail setup. I think that you would probably thank yourself for switching to the Exi if you were, say, racing at Landahl (think Family Trail, Swedish Erotica and Rim Job) or Perry or Clinton. The extra knob/grip/cushion would be better for the rockier trails, but Smithville really only has a couple of serious rock gardens, and the rest of it just flows - that's what happens when a singlespeeder lays it out. :)

If you still hate it, I'll buy it off you at the ER meeting in May, unless we can meet up before then. As soon as I can get to US Toy to buy some liquid latex, I'll be tubeless, so all should be well with the tire swap. I've been wanting to try the Exi, but just haven't gotten around to it, and my Moto's aren't quite dead yet.

tP

·
Just Ride!
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Francis said:
Warren, something tells me that you were riding out at Smithville. tP
You got it! I went out lakeside, which was not too bad since it is a little rocky, but on 34 and TNT I was actually having to pedal quite alot to make the turns come up too fast and scare myself.

Martini does have dibs if I decide to ditch them, but I'm sure he won't mind you taking them for a spin on my Fisher. In any case, I will give them one more shot.

·
Registered
790 Posts
heavyweight

Could it be that a lightweight rider doesn't need or want the beefy sidewalls because it is harder to flex them???? Just a theory, but my 225# butt loves these beasts. For everything. Other tires I have used on my 293 (ACX, Mythos) just feel squirmy and wimpy to me by comparison, even at 40 psi or more. I don't care about speed, and ride roots and rocks more than anything else. Of course, I couldn't imagine running 20 psi, as I seem to bang the rims pretty bad at anything under 32-35.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Marty

I got the last pair GeneO had in stock but have yet to slap them on. If I don't like them - no telling til the dirt here is rideable - I'll let you test drive them.

Is the SW WI dirt dry yet?

Sean

~martini~ said:
No I called dibs first! ;)

·
Witty McWitterson
5,023 Posts
Its getting pretty close to ridable down here. Been windy and warm for almost a week straight. I'm going out this weekend to check conditions.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Seven Monkey

Im running these for MT and road on both my fixed Monkey and geared Seven, have four spare in the basement bringing the total to 8 because I love them so much. Im a 40 PSI kinda guy, weigh 200, and needed a tire I could rely on to not get cut down or blow off the rim. So far I haven't heard of any blow offs that were common with Motos and Nanos, if this remains constant I think I've found the tire I'll ride forever. Also, this was the first year at 12 Miles of Hell that I didn't flat, I think I have gained a little more technical skill but have no doubt that the tire was a big contributing factor as well.

·
Registered
336 Posts
indigosky said:
NoDunut4U - where ya been man???
Doing my duty for my Country.... I'm home now but still on active orders for another 2 weeks. I hope to get out and blow the dust off the VanDessel this weekend

G

·
NoDunut4U said:
Doing my duty for my Country.... I'm home now but still on active orders for another 2 weeks. I hope to get out and blow the dust off the VanDessel this weekend
Well, welcome back. Hope you get some riding time in soon!

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Dang...

...these Exis are slow. Grippy, but slow. Finally took them out on dirt - the dry, hard pack variety - and I felt like I was riding DH tires at 20psi.

Forget about coasting. Sheesh. I may leave the front on for the cornering and braking traction but the rear is definitely going to be seeing the Mythos XC again.

WTB - PUHLEESE give us a 2.4" 700c Moto with Kevlar bead and give it to us now dammit.

Sean

·
Registered
665 Posts
I ran them tubeless for the first ride on them and got a lot of burping at 35 psi - probably my setup. I too loved the stability and confidence inspiring ride but at the same time felt a bit bogged down. I'm going to try one up front and put the nano back on the rear and see how that goes.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts