Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like to have somthing to look forward to and the Megavalanche is something I have wanted to try for a few years. I have just received my booking confirmation :eek:

I best get some training in !!

·
3 "fiddy" for short
2,739 Posts
Prof said:
I like to have somthing to look forward to and the Megavalanche is something I have wanted to try for a few years. I have just received my booking confirmation :eek:

I best get some training in !!
WOW!! That looks like a lot of fun/work. Good luck.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I have plenty of time to prepare, the Six Pack should suit, I can't justify buying a Highline or DHR, although I am tempted :D

·
involuntary dismounter
2,391 Posts
VERY COOL! :thumbsup::) and slightly nutty! :D super crazy start...if you can make it through all that shite you'll be good to go! :) you go with your bad self! :D

:rockon:

·
3 "fiddy" for short
2,739 Posts
YOU ARE NUTS!!! I would say that you need a highline!;) ;) Or, atleast have to have one!;) Well maybe the DHR would be better suited. I dont know, but I think it would be in your best interest to buy a brand new bike for this event. Oh, new gear too!:D :D

This is just what would be going through my head if I were going to do this. It would really make me want another NEW bike eventhough the Pack would be a great fit for the event. I can always talk myself into new stuff and my wife hates my trying to get her to agree.:D

·
Sugary Exoskeleton
4,657 Posts
WooHoo! Now I realize the two times I have been to Alpe d'Huez I had the wrong bike (road), and I was going the wrong direction (up)! :p

Have fun, that looks SO MUCH FUN!

JMH

·
Registered
432 Posts
The megavalanche is the best thing I've ever done. I rode my DHR and it was a bit of a slog on the ups. The pack wil be spot on. Some tips:

Bring some garbage bags with you to the start. Not only do they make excellent water/windproofs that you can justify abandoning once you've warmed up, they help you side faster when you sit down for the steep ice section. It's cold at 3000m altitude at 6:30am even if they do hand out hot rum.

Be ready to go at the 10 second count. Everyone does, and you don't want 800 odd riders piling over the top of you whilst you plead "false start" to the race starter.

Carry plenty of water. (Camelback is essential) and a few tubes. Some food is a good idea as well.

Have fun!

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the tip's, be350ka you are as bad as me :eek: but no by the look of things the Pack will be fine :thumbsup:

Clyde S Dale, a van full of EBM's :eek: , for after the race maybe? ;)

I need bigger tyres and more armour, so there will be some shopping to do :D

·
Just roll it......
7,621 Posts
Clyde S Dale said:
Very cool, Prof. Good luck.

Just out of curiosity, how many of you noticed this in the video?
36 seconds in.....yep, I saw that too.

These events look like they're totally killer and I'd like to try one for sure. Man, that start was a first class clusterf*ck though. I like the part where he's just flying through the people sprawled out all over the snow. :thumbsup:

EB

P.S. This looks like there's plenty of pedaling so having a Gravity Dropper would be a big benefit and give an advantage on the flats / climbs.

·
notabouttoseeyourlight
2,664 Posts
This looks like one of the toughest things ever. I recommend watching the Megavalance section in Earthed 3. It's pretty good and the guy talks a lot about what it's actually like.

You're an animal!!!

·
Outcast
8,588 Posts
WOW!
I had no idea that such an event existed. That looks spectacular. I'm not the kind of guy who likes competing, but I would love to get dropped off at the top of that someday. You can have the beginning snow section, but I'll happily ride all that spectacular single track.
Good luck to you Prof! :thumbsup:

·
notabouttoseeyourlight
2,664 Posts
Prof said:
"I recommend watching the Megavalance section in Earthed 3"

I have ordered it I will get it in a day or so
Cool... It's an all-around awesome movie anyway, you shouldn't be disappointed if you like watching people ride really, really fast on bicycles.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.