Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a set of 2005 Marta SL brakes and the rear brake has developed excessive travel. I almost have to slam the lever to the bars for the brakes to engage. I have checked the pads, they are both maybe halfway through. Just for kicks, I replaced them and the lever travel is a little less (as one would expect) but still much more than the front brake.

I have bled the brake, there was a bunch of air in the line. After bleeding and refilling the reservoir I pumped the brake a few time to bring the pistons back out. I checked the level of the oil in the reservoir and it was almost completely empty, so I topped it off.

Still, the lever travel did not change after bleeding.

Has anyone else experienced something similar? Any suggestions?

·
~~~~~~~~
5,932 Posts
what brand of pads are you using?
non-magura brand marta replacement pads are apparently too thin and will cause this. We had a set where I was having the same problem, could not get that rear brake to work, bled and rebled, sent to magura and they told me of the brake pad problem. They also replaced the entire lever. It was so frustrating that they are still sitting in a box, haven't felt like reinstalling them to see if the work now.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am pretty sure they are Magura pads. I replaced them late last season.

I'll try rebleeding and see if that helps. I'll post back with results.

·
MTBR Demi-God
838 Posts
Yep, as suggested, it definitely seems like a bleed is needed.

Also, make sure that your lever reach adjustment screw is as per your preference.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You guys called it ...

It was a bad bleed. I spent an hour pushing and pulling oil through the brake and making sure there weren't any bubbles hidden in the master cylinder or caliper.

The brake is now working again perfectly. Thanks for the hint!

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
Glad to hear it.

Maguras are a bit tricky to bleed sometimes. I had to do 2 sets at work today, it's much easier to have a buddy help you out when you're doing it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts