Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Sometimes, but not all the time, the day following an epic ride (5-6hrs, 5000') I'll have excessive flatulence for at least 24 hours or so. It's not particularly odorous but rather noisy. It doesn't seem diet related. I was wondering if maybe I was taking in too much air when hydrating via a camelbak or if there are any other possible reasons? Anybody else experience such issues? If you have any ideas on how to mitigate it would help to make my kids less embarrassed of their Dad. Also, I don't have a dog to blame when it occurs. :D

·
just another bleepin SSer
1,463 Posts
On epic rides and endurance races, I have always been amazed about how the digestive system can seem to make use of just about everything in foods. I did a 12 hour race about 10 years back (report here), at which I happened to track the food I ate. It was over 5000 calories during the race plus pre and post race foods), yet no, um, movements during the entire time. Where does all the food go? It appears that the body makes use of just about everything. In doing so, I guess some side effects not seen normally shouldn't be a surprise.

That said, I don't find you particular issue. But, it does seem that I get a similar effect from eating energy bars that are soy based (like Clif Bars). No problems with gels or blocks, thankfully.

·
Registered
6,175 Posts
As far as I'm concerned it's just another french benefit of riding, try the pull my finger trick with the kids. Farts are cool :p

Singlespeed, I was at the race you linked to above on the team that help aid you. You left an impression on me for sure and is one of the reasons I started going bigger on my rides. :thumbsup:

·
openwound
580 Posts
You don't mention what you're eating or what may be in your camelbak water. As others have mentioned, some bodies have issues with processing soy or dairy (my problem). I'm rather doubtful that it has anything to do with air ingestion. More than likely it has to do with what you're eating, and quite possibly drinking.

When you read about folks that are doing ultra-rides, one of the things that they *have* to nail down is their diets. What will sustain them best? What can they eat while in the midst of such an effort that won't come back up or, um, out? There's a great deal of experimentation that does on. Many that I read of end up eating fairly bland, average things such as bananas, pb&j sammies, stuff like that...

I guess that my point is that when we go for rides we tend to digest things that we wouldn't eat otherwise -- bars and enhanced liquids. Since those things aren't part of our regular intake, they'll tend to cause our systems to kinda go a little sideways until the normal operating environment is restored.

Maybe a little farting after being on the saddle for 20+ hours would help to break the monotony and if you were being shadowed by someone, well may it'd help to shake 'em off!

·
Fat Skis/Fat Tires
1,959 Posts
Elevation change?

I used to commute from South Lake Tahoe to Kirkwood 6 days a week, and coming over Carson Pass was always an occasion for the entire carpool to begin a spontaneous fart storm. I always figured it had something to do with the body trying to acheive a pressure equillibrium, just like your ears popping, only smellier.

·
Feeling a little taller
6,705 Posts
A few years ago we put together 3 teams to compete at the 24 hours of adrenaline. We were sponsored by Champion Nutrition and got some of their powdered drink mixes for use during the race. I had the worst gas for more than 24 hours because of it. It didn't smell all that foul but the pressure build up was sudden and painful at times.

·
Registered
660 Posts
rjmcmahon said:
If you have any ideas on how to mitigate it would help to make my kids less embarrassed of their Dad. Also, I don't have a dog to blame when it occurs. :D
1. Under no circumstances (unless it is too late) should you let your kids learn the rhyme, "the smeller is the feller" or the similar, "He who smelt it dealt it."

2. Practice being the first to say, "One, two three, not me." If you are too slow on that one, counter with "Eight, six, four, two, YOU."

3. The shelters are full of dogs waiting to be adopted.

Reminds me of the guy who had the farts on a first date. They are sitting on the couch at her house, talking. The dog is under the couch. Everytime he farts, she hollers at the dog, "Rover!" After about three times, the guy rips an extra big one, the date screams, "Rover, get out from under the couch before he sh!ts all over you!" ;)

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
voodoochild said:
You don't mention what you're eating or what may be in your camelbak water. As others have mentioned, some bodies have issues with processing soy or dairy (my problem). I'm rather doubtful that it has anything to do with air ingestion. More than likely it has to do with what you're eating, and quite possibly drinking.
I fill the camelbak with tap water. For food I carry king size paydays and cliff bars (mostly chocolate chip version.) I tend to pull out and eat the paydays more often than the cliff bars. I wonder if it could be related to the days I eat primarily cliff bars? If so, maybe they need a surgeon's general warning on the label about the effects of second hand gas ;)

·
Birthday Collector
2,610 Posts
Now if you can just find something to make it smell really bad - then maybe it will be "epic flatulence"...

·
Registered
13,171 Posts
I tend to be an extra good flatulator in general but I've noticed the same thing. I first noticed it when I was racing motorcycles after long desert races. I figured it had something to do with all the bouncing. The drive home after a long race or ride (on bikes or motos) is usually a serious flatulence fest.

Like others have said, I've since decided it has more to do with what I ingest during the ride/race or how my body is processing (or not) calories/food during strenuous activity. Digestion is more of a parasympathetic nervous system activity (think peacful, relaxed) not sympathetic (fight or flight).

Not sure how to stop it though. Sorry.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hmm, contrary to other riders I cannot recall getting excessive flatulance after a ride. The attack of the gasses usually occurs while riding the day of, after eating a carne asada burrito the night before a ride:D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.