Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a week long ride coming up which is mostly on rail trails and back roads. I will be running Specialized Fastrac Tires with tubes and may want to pump them up past the maximum tire pressure recommended by Mavic of 64 psi for a 2.0 Tire. Will this hurt my 819 rim?
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
48,161 Posts
It shouldn't but the bike is going be harsh and skittish with the tire pressure that high. It the route is paved get some road tread tires. If it is dirt keep the pressures near your normal levels or just a bit higher.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Would 50 psi be enough ?

A day's ride will consist of a mix of some trails and mostly pavement, I always thought that running a higher PSI when riding on pavement would equal less rolling resistance.
If 64 psi is too high, could I use my Fastrac UST tires @ a maximum of 50 psi? Or could you recommend a new tire?
Thanks.
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
48,161 Posts
STUMPJUMPER FSR said:
A day's ride will consist of a mix of some trails and mostly pavement, I always thought that running a higher PSI when riding on pavement would equal less rolling resistance.
If 64 psi is too high, could I use my Fastrac UST tires @ a maximum of 50 psi? Or could you recommend a new tire?
Thanks.
50psi would be plenty. The Fast Trak is not the best choice for this type of riding. Something like a WTB AllTerrainasaurus would make for a nicer ride.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Shiggy

shiggy said:
50psi would be plenty. The Fast Trak is not the best choice for this type of riding. Something like a WTB AllTerrainasaurus would make for a nicer ride.
What do you mean by nicer ride? Smoother?, Faster ? Also, I will be climbing alot of hills ( pavement) Would a heavier tire ( WTB AllTerrainasaurus) be a good choice? I have the Fast Traks and would have to purchase a new set of tires, so would the investment be worth it?
Thanks Again
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
48,161 Posts
STUMPJUMPER FSR said:
What do you mean by nicer ride? Smoother?, Faster ? Also, I will be climbing alot of hills ( pavement) Would a heavier tire ( WTB AllTerrainasaurus) be a good choice? I have the Fast Traks and would have to purchase a new set of tires, so would the investment be worth it?
Thanks Again
The WTB (or similar tires) will roll better, smoother, quieter and have better traction on pavement even if they may be a little heavier.

You can use the Fast Traks but they will be draggy and slow feeling on pavement at any pressure and may corner poorly at higher speeds (squirmy knobs are exciting - in a bad way). The wear rate can be much higher, too, reducing their effectiveness on dirt.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top