Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a 2008 9.5 with Avid Ultimate and since first ride the front brake is rubbing. The outside pad is too close to the disc. Even after various visits to the LBS the problem returns. Tried to adjust as Lennard Zinn teachs in his book, using a piece of plastic between the pad and the disc, it does work for some time but just that. I use a fork mount in my car and have to take the front wheel off frequently. Could this be the problem?

·
Registered
849 Posts
Hmm what have your LBS said? by now i would have expected them to have done something. the only thing i could think of would be to - undo the bolts holding the rotor squeeze the brake lever then tighten the bolts.

As a thought if the above dosent work you might have a problem with the way the wheel is spaced, you can identify this problem if when you put the wheel in the caliper dosent have enough adjustment to stop the rubbing. if so take the bike back to the store - its a matter of spacing the wheel further over.

other than that i really cant think of any other reason it would be rubbing - if you could maybe post some pictures it might help.

very nice bike btw certainly a bike id want to have mechanically perfect!

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have Juicy 7's and have a real problem trying to set them up. They constantly rub and are a pain in the a$$ to get right. I had a friend bring his brand new Specialized Epic with Ultimates over to me last week to try and get his set up right. Try as I might I couldn't get them perfect. He has a slight bend in the discs which make it harder to set up, and if it doesn't get a little better I might try to bleed the brakes. But this seems to be a problem of Avids in general. I am going to bin my Avids and get a set of Shimano 2008 XT's or Formula Oro Pura's

Try the spacer thing already mentioned. If this a re-centering and a bleeding don't work and the disc is straight then send the brakes back.

·
Registered
849 Posts
i think it will be i cant think of any other issue it could be. but can i just say.... and dont take this the wrong way its meant with good intentions..... but if youve bought a EX9.5 from a shop they should have checked that when building the bike [especially as the bike in question has a HUGE price tag]. I know from experience brakes do rub but this problem is easily identified.

if this is the case then id be worried on how the rest of the bike has been built, if they cant sort simple brakes out [especially as youve been back several times] then i dont know as id trust them with anything else mechanical

just my $0.02

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No doubt, Liam. The LBS owner is a friend and I'm giving him a last chance. My old bike (Epic) had a similar problem with a XTR brake, and it was solved by another LBS. So this weekend is the deadline. Undoubtly the rest of the bike built is under question, but up to now it's working great. Hope they can get my confidence back.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I had a similar problem with Magura Marta brakes on an On-One frame. Try playing with tightening the skewer in different manners. For example, tighten the flip lock to where you like it and then lock it down, if that does not work try tightening the other end of the skewer a little more and backing out the flip lock side, lock it and then see what happens. Sounds confusing, I know; easier demonstrated then verbalized. I ended up placing a real thin shim between the skewer and frame, this did the trick and I have not had any problems since. Just an idea.

·
Registered
38 Posts
front brake rub

lcirino said:
Got a 2008 9.5 with Avid Ultimate and since first ride the front brake is rubbing. The outside pad is too close to the disc. Even after various visits to the LBS the problem returns. Tried to adjust as Lennard Zinn teachs in his book, using a piece of plastic between the pad and the disc, it does work for some time but just that. I use a fork mount in my car and have to take the front wheel off frequently. Could this be the problem?
i had a front rotor rub but it was the caliper too close to the rotor. so i just moved 1 spacer in (on the other side of the caliper ) to move the caliper farther out.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mine is post mount, rmtks. Thanks anyway. Got the bike on the LBS today and went for a short ride. Everything ok. Saturday I'll take it to the real trail. Thanks everybody.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Avid brakes do not work as advertise when it comes to ease of adjustment. My ultimate brakes are fine at the beginning, but they don't retract well after months of use. Alignment of calipers do not stay "there" after tightening the bolts of so called GPS system too, just a little though. I don't have luck with my 2 pairs of Avid hydros so far. Counting my purchase of 2 other cable actuated pairs. Maybe it's time to switch to the lastest Shimano's offerings.

·
Two wheels are best
1,135 Posts
lcirino said:
Have to say, the rear brake is perfect. I think the problem with the front brake is the constant in and out of the wheel (fork mounting rack on my car)
That shouldn't be causing a problem. I remove my wheel for transport several times a week and it's not an issue on mine.

Have they bled the front brake? The factory bleeds aren't the best some times. I got a lot of air out of the '08 J7's I installed a few weeks ago.

Clean and lube (using brake fluid) the pistons and then give them a good bleed. beyond that...call Avid to see if they'll warranty them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.