Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was one of the recent individuals that had the cracked rear stay replaced and since then I have had a severe vibration that works up from the rear brake to the center of the frame after about 10 seconds of rear brake application, it starts out as a squeel then escalates into a really bad vibration and squeel. I have tried 3 different kinds/compositions of pads, no change. I have disassembled the ass end to check for wear or anything else that may be out of order but everything looks good. Tonight I am pulling both rotors and I am going to hit them with a sander and scuff them up then swap front to rear and maybe put some teflon washers between the caliper and the frame in hopes that it will fix the problem. My question is if any one has seen this before? Pretty frustrating for a new bike. :madman:

Nick

·
Registered
138 Posts
I had the same thing on a Giant XTC hardtail years ago with their MPH brakes. I ended up changing the brakes to another brand.

It sounds like you are trying everything possible. Does the wheel look like it is sitting square in the bike? As you have had the rear triangle changed I was wondering if there was any chance it could be out of alignment slightly.

Is the shop who did the warranty work able to help?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Everything appears to be squared up. I went ahead and ordered a larger disc (203mm) just in case this does not work. I sure hope I don't have to go to different brakes, I'm still saving up for the set of Codes for my downhill rig.

I have not talked to the bike shop yet, if it turns out that it is something they did they I will give them a ring. I doubt it though it is a pretty good shop.

Nick

·
Registered
113 Posts
nick59349 said:
Everything appears to be squared up. I went ahead and ordered a larger disc (203mm) just in case this does not work. I sure hope I don't have to go to different brakes, I'm still saving up for the set of Codes for my downhill rig.

I have not talked to the bike shop yet, if it turns out that it is something they did they I will give them a ring. I doubt it though it is a pretty good shop.

Nick
203mm for the back? I don't think that's a good idea since a good balance is when you have smaller rotor on the rear. And you know you also gonna need a 203mm adapter for that right? I used to have the same exact problem but unlike you changing to organic pads seemed to have fixed it. I also lifted the caliper away from the axle a little bit(about 1.4mm) by adding washers. You can also try to repositioning the caliper from side to side, it doesn't have to be in the exact center as long the face of the pads are aligned with the rotor.

here's the tread that I started about the vibration problem:
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=413879

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well that didn't work. I have been wanting to upgrade both disc's to 203mm anyway, so we will see if that fixes it. I have ordered some different pads (again) other that Avid, EBC Red I think. Regardless it will be some time before I can test it out. I may go ahead and upgrade the brakes while I'm at it. If all else fails I may just put a Code caliper on the back.

Thanks for your input Lone Rider. I was positive that would fix it, no such luck.

Nick

G

·
I had the same vibration on an '04 Fuel 90. Talked to LBS and it turns out that Trek had an aluminum bar available, about 8" long that ran from a caliper bolt to seat stay, which solved the problem. I had to ask though - no one volunteered the info. It was free of course. Talk to LBS, or email Trek, there mey be something similar.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.