Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anyone else out there that is 6'-2" tall with a 34.5" inseam that rides a 21.5" EX8???

Below are my measurements from the competitive cyclist website. The manager at my LBS is a specialized fit expert and he said that I am a 21.5" frame without a doubt. However, all the measurements from competitive cyclist say I am a 19.5" frame or less. I have no doubt that I need an extra large frame on a 2008 Stumpjumper FSR and 2008 Epic, but the difference between the 19.5" and 21.5" EX8 is hard to tell. The LBS will not let me take the bikes for a demo ride on an actual trail, so my test riding is limited to the LBS parking lot.

The effective top tube length on the 21.5" EX8 and the extra large Stumpjumper FSR are exactly the same, but the EX8 still feels like it has a longer reach. I figure this might have something to do with the angle of the seatpost versus how high I have the seat set. When I ride the 21.5" EX8 the nose of my seat is about 2" above the top of the headset. Also, when I look down the handle bar is slightly in front of the front wheel axle. Any opinions on the situation???

My issue is that the Stumpy FSR fits me better than the EX8, but the EX8 rides and handles better than the Stumpy FSR. I am thinking I should go and try the Giant Trance to see if it has the combination of fit and performance that I am looking for.

Inseam: 34.5" (Real Inseam)
Trunk: 26.5"
Forearm: 13.5"
Arm: 25.75"
Thigh: 24.75"
Lower Leg: 22.5625"
Sternal Notch: 60.75"
Total Body Height: 74.25"

Competitive Cyclist: 23.6" - 24.0" (Virtual Top Tube)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Im exactly the same size as you and ride a 08 21.5 ex8. Last year I rode an 07 19.5 ex8. Im glad I went up a size this year, it just seems more stable and comfy. The smaller size seemed a bit more twitchy but was more flickable. I test rode in the parking lot between the 2 sizes for 3days before I made my decision. Good luck!

·
Registered
348 Posts
If I remember correctly, there's not a huge difference in TT between a 19.5 and 21.5. I debated about the same sizes as you (6'3", pretty much same inseam). The bike shop did a fit test for me on the 19.5 and didn't see any problems. The 19.5 feels fine for me and I love it but in hindsight, I worry about how much seat post I have exposed to get a nice pedal stroke. If I could do it again, I think I might go 21.5 but it's hard to say. They didn't have a 21.5 when I bought and maybe I was a bit too impatient. However, like I say, I'm definitely still happy with the 19.5.

I suspect there's a little preference whether you like a smaller bike or larger bike under you for the "flickability" as suggested by Pedal pusher.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'm 6'2" with a 33" inseam and I bought a 21.5" Fuel EX9 (2008). I had previously ridden a 18.5" Fuel EX8 for a few months and I found the 21.5 to be more relaxed when riding over obstacles and slightly less tossable in the tight switchbacks. I'm glad I went with the 21.5" size and I would do it again.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Im close to the same as you and I have problems with my L Prophet. Problem is that Cannondale makes their headtubes all the same length no matter the frame size which is really stupid. My next bike will be a Giant mostly due to the fact that the headtube gets much taller as size goes up. Hate having a high seat and low front end, good for climbing but not " all mountain ". I know this is the Trek forum but you should check out Giant as well, bikes are to expensive to regret your purchase.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.