Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have shied away from factory wheelsets in the past, but I am looking at the DT swiss EX1750 and Mavic Crossmax SX wheels. I might be able to get a good deal on one of these sets so they are a bit more enticing.

What do you think?
1. DT swiss EX 1750
2. Mavic Crossmax SX
3. Stay away from both.

Thanks in advance for any input or experience on these wheelsets.

TG

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Its better to stay off propietary. Think about spoke replacement, parts, etc.
you can get a built wheelset that will be better (maybe not so bling bling but better on the long run )

·
Monkey Wrench
353 Posts
Consider that the EX1750 is factory built with standard parts. J-Bend Aerolite spokes on 28h rims. Light, strong (lots of pros race DH on these) and repairable.

I'm not gonna diss on the Crossmax, but it wouldn't put them on my bike for aggressive AM or burly XC use. The spokes are less durable and harder to get ahold of. Mavic hubs require more maintenance and it's always fun when the spoke heads pop out of the hub under hard cornering...
I'll probably catch some flack for picking the DT's over Mavic, but from my personal experience and from what I've seen on the trail and in the shop, DT is the way to go.

You could build a pair of DT or King or Hope hubs with Stan's Flows or DT EX500 (5.1) for about the same price as either of these wheels. A good wheelbuilder could make them stronger and somewhere near the same weight if they use light spokes (Aerolites or Supercomps)

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. The only reason I am thinking of going this route is because I might be able to get a great deal.

If money wasn't a concern I would be all over a set of custom wheels. I currently have a set of Hadleys on 819s built by Larry at Mtn High Cyclery. They have been strong, straight, and worry free.

Vwvoodoo, thanks for all the good points. My second option would be some Hope hubs on Flow rims.

Thanks again,
TG

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
I had the original Crossmax SX wheelset for 3 years, after smashing some DT FR6.1 rims because they were crap, and have the latest version of the SX wheelset now. The rear hub has supposedly been sorted out from the original version, which i never had any problems with but did replace the bearings every year. Spokes aren't that hard to get hold of if you go to a decent shop. A good shop will have any spares in stock or be able to order them quickly, hopefully it's not just my lbs that does this. :) Aluminium spokes are going to break. If you go into a set of Crossmax wheels thinking the spokes will last foreever you'll be disappointed.

The new Crossmax SX is a great wheelset. It's a bit lighter than the original version but seems just as strong. It's UST ready, which is a big selling point for me. The rims have been good. I have managed to dent them running low pressures but they're still going strong. I'm very happy with my Crossmax SX wheelset and have no problems recommending them for AM style riding. :thumbsup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.