Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question about the EX 9 rear triangle design for 2007. I went into a store to have a look at this bike, and they didn’t have them in stock at the time (Bike Line, PA). The manager was able to provide a 07 catalog that displays the EX 9. It appears that Trek has implemented a new pivot point on the rear triangle, I assume to make the ride a little plusher and to make this bike a 5” travel machine.
Are there any drawbacks to this new design?

·
Registered
272 Posts
aries14 said:
I have a question about the EX 9 rear triangle design for 2007. I went into a store to have a look at this bike, and they didn't have them in stock at the time (Bike Line, PA). The manager was able to provide a 07 catalog that displays the EX 9. It appears that Trek has implemented a new pivot point on the rear triangle, I assume to make the ride a little plusher and to make this bike a 5" travel machine.
Are there any drawbacks to this new design?
No drawbacks that I'm aware of, everything for the '07s have been significantly updated - enough for me not to consider buying pre07 models. Some of the highlights:

- Assymetric stays - a lot lighter than previous EXs by 1-2 lbs.
- Welded rear triangle - improve alignment, decrease chainsuck
- larger tire clearance - 2.5 (i think) is allowed
- Wider main pivot spacing - increased stiffness of the main pivot and rear triangle
- added seatstay pivot - reduced stiction for better small bump compliance
- clearence for 2x9 setup.

I have 2 friends who have a EX9 and EX9.5. They are more aggressive all-mtn/freeride guys and love the new EXs.

GL,
-don

·
Registered
797 Posts
for 07,EX 7 and above have seatstay pivots,

EX5 and 6 do not. I would not own a Fuel without them- they really free up the rear end to move thru its travel. I say this after riding a Liquid with Black magic stays (no pivots) for almost a year, then changing the rearend to the one with pivots for over 2 years. No downside at all- there is no maintenance required.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input guys, this will assist me in making my choice for a FS bike this spring. I'm looking at the Trek as well as the Truth. I know, two different ball games..
I dont want a carbon frame so the EX 9 is what I have to compare the Truth with.

I love the Trek brand, I have a 6700 HT that's bullet proof!!!!

·
Registered
536 Posts
blehargh said:
This was written in mind for the EX's but just subtract about 1.5" and it's still the same :)
Assymetric stays - a lot lighter than previous EXs by 1-2 lbs.
Hi everyone, I know this is an old thread. But Trek's dog and pony show Demo Days are coming to town this weekend, so the chance to ride both the new Top Fuel and Fuel Ex 9-9.5.
Looking over this thread I believe the new alum rear triangles drop about 200 grams of weight not 1-2 pounds. Also, I don't think it is a valid comparison between the old 9.5 and the new as just like the old Top Fuels and the new with just subtracting 1.5 " because the new Top Fuels still pivot on the stays which are now alum so they lack the Turner Type Faux Horst link still (Maybe they should have done Ti stays if they don't want to add the link. The reason I say Turner because he is the first I know of to move the Horst link to seat from chain stay to avoid Specialized patent.)

The angle on both new models are slacker at the head and seat tube with trail still staying the same for the Top Fuel as in previous models, and of course main pivot bearing but engineering improvements over the problematic press fit issues they had with their bearings in first generation 9.5s.

I can't say I'm real happy about the alum rear triangle on the new Top Fuels without a Turner seat stay pivot coming in at just under 5 lbs. for the frame pivoting on alum chain stays. (Esp after reviewing the Scott Spark with 4.3 rear travel at 3.8 lbs with the Turner pivot and remote shock control similar to Team Issue Top Fuels old MC3 R, but only 5 years warranty.)
Of course, Trek frames are guaranteed for the life of the original owner. (I can attest as I have ridden many Trek bikes over the last 20 years and still remain loyal because of excellent customer service. Currently own a 2005 Top Fuel as one of my rides.)
Anyway, sorry this post is not more succinct but what am I missing or incorrect on. Thanks all.

·
Registered
272 Posts
glovemtb said:
Looking over this thread I believe the new alum rear triangles drop about 200 grams of weight not 1-2 pounds. Also, I don't think it is a valid comparison between the old 9.5 and the new as just like the old Top Fuels and the new with just subtracting 1.5 ".
Well the stock 07 EX9 comes in around 26 lbs. And '06 EX9 weighs in the ~28 range. I won't say you're wrong about the '07 swing arm lopping off only 200 grams, but I worked at a shop, and we weighed these bikes.

And you pulled a quote of mine from another thread, where the OP was asking about 07 Top Fuels - so I'm comparing '07 Tops to '07 EXs which my comparison is valid, minus about 1.5" of travel.

-don

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
The CHAIN STAY assemblies are said to be 200 grams lighter on the 07's vs the 06's. Trek said the the 07 EX8 was 2 lbs lighter than the 06 EX8 - that's for the complete bike.

·
Registered
382 Posts
all i know is if you are in PA and close enough, try Abington Wheel Wright Bikes in Abington. I just got my Ex8 there and I love the thing. They make you feel like a bike pro when you walk in the door and will talk for hours about the proper bike for you. They ride the Ex8 themselves and know more than almost anyone you will come across about ALL the big name bikes. i know they have an EX7 right now, and I picked up the Ex8 off the floor, but they are probably getting another one in for a new floor model, since its such a great steed at such a bargain price ($1900 is an KILLER deal for the component list and sweet frame).

·
Registered
536 Posts
blehargh said:
Well the stock 07 EX9 comes in around 26 lbs. And '06 EX9 weighs in the ~28 range. I won't say you're wrong about the '07 swing arm lopping off only 200 grams, but I worked at a shop, and we weighed these bikes.

And you pulled a quote of mine from another thread, where the OP was asking about 07 Top Fuels - so I'm comparing '07 Tops to '07 EXs which my comparison is valid, minus about 1.5" of travel.

-don
Not sure where I was pulling from what at the time, not meant to offend, I am often incomplete about specs, just want to figure all I can for a complete knowledge base about the re-designs before I go to the demo daze thing.
I currently ride a Trek Top Fuel Team Issue 2005 that I really like, but I wish it had more travel and a horst link or compatible. (My 4.5 inch travel bike does and it makes a world of difference.) I think I would have liked it if they would have added the link as mentioned in my other post to this year's Top Fuel like they did the Ex for this year. I realize they will say oh we did not do it because it is a Xc race bike. But; other manufactures have the link on there 3" travel race bikes now. Turner, Scott, etc.
I guess I should have done a new thread for just model to model compare (I will if I have the time.)
Cause lots has changed as mentioned above total rear triangle redesign as well as about a degree slacker angles on both the Ex 9/9.5 and the top fuels. Nixing the Rock Shox shocks for Fox so no more remote control, etc.
Also, they don't report the actual frame weights so that remains a mystery from year to year.
Thanks for feedback

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.