Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got an ex8 with Avid brakes. I took of the front wheel for some maintenance. During that time I depressed the front brake lever without the wheel. I noticed that the pads were still pretty close together so I gently pried them apart and re-attached the wheel but now there is some rubbing vs. before it was free of rubbing. Haven't ridden it since and only have 75 miles on the bike.

Will this work its way out? Or do I need to adjust the break somehow?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Actually losened the mounting bolts squeezed the brakes a few times and tightened the bolts and that helped.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Whenever you have the wheel off place a spacer in-between the brake pad a piece of plastic or even cardboard will work this way if you grab the brake lever on accident you won't run into a problem.. Take the bike to a local shop and have them re-bleed your front brake..

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Stardust said:
Whenever you have the wheel off place a spacer in-between the brake pad a piece of plastic or even cardboard will work this way if you grab the brake lever on accident you won't run into a problem.. Take the bike to a local shop and have them re-bleed your front brake..
So your thinking is that they'll have to be re-bleed? What happens by grabbing the brake without a spacer? I'm new to hydro's..

·
Registered
110 Posts
Your causing hydraulic lock as the piston pushes the brake pad to the disk.. Pulling the brake lever without the disk brake will force air into the brake line..

·
Registered
824 Posts
it depends on how far you squeezed the pads together without the rotor between them. If you did go too far, you should be able to feel the air in the line. The lever will feel soft when you brake.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
The lever feels firm. But it catches with the slightest touch - which I would say is perfect but I still have some rubbing. After using the google macnine a bit it looks like bleeding is a bit of a process. I'll just take it in.

·
Registered
824 Posts
doesn't sound like you need a bleed then, just need to spread the pads a bit more, or get your rotor perfectly centered. Since you've adjusted the caliper bolts and position already, you might also try tweaking the tension on your wheel quick release as that will change where the rotor sits just a bit.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yup that's what the my LBS said. Just need to spread the pads more. He said they actaully have a special tool they use to do that.

·
Permanent Noob
344 Posts
Ask them for a bleed block. (mine's red plastic) I just put it in whenever I drop the front wheel to load it up. Haven't had the issue with accidentally grabbing the lever and having to pry them out since.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts