Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
mountain biker
535 Posts
mens
Clementz (he's been pretty much living there for the past month)
François Bailly-Maitre (did well at Andes Pacifico)
Barel

ladies
ACC (has something to prove)
Tracey (just caus' she's so strong)
Isabeau Courdurier (my wildcard)

·
Registered
267 Posts
mens
Graves
Clementz
Barel/Nico can't decide ( probably the junior Maes time wise but it wont count )

ladies
ACC
Moseley
Ravanel

juniors
Maes ( in fact I bet he places top 5 for all men including pro, i would place him 3rd in Mens if I could )
Maes
Maes

·
Registered
6,420 Posts
Mens
Graves
Lau This is based on his form at the end of last year. Definitely my wild card.
Clementz Yes, I realize how crazy it is of me to put him third, but I have some inside info on Graves Strava account!

Womens
ACC
TMo
Anneke Berteen She looked nearly anorexic at Sea Otter. Has to have lost close to 20 lbs since last year.

Juniors
Maes and I would also say he will be fast enough to be top 3 in Pro. Saw him at Sea Otter and he is looking FIT!

Let's get this party started!!!

·
Mtb Guide
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Been giving this a lot of thought the men's is so tough,

I still think JC is the best at improvisation, so if plenty of practice then removes a big advantage.

I could see Maes at the top especially where practice is aloud and he stays right way up.

Women's bit easier, prob down to mechanical or injury.

So totally agree with Women's picks guys
Ac
TMO
Cecil

Woulda picked Rosara Kiwi Joseph but she's not getting supported and told me the other day she will be only doing selected results and won't be in Chille, unbelievable!

Current US Enduro champ, ranked top 10 EWS 5 or 6th overall last year if remember rightly, seems you can only get pro support if you are a US or Euro rider! Real support she could take on AC and TMO, such a great ambassador for riding and as a person and a sponsors dream, just don't get it, very short sighted imo.

Heart hopes Jamie Nicol on his new ride with Polygon does well as Justin Leov both been training hard and riding so well, these guys are so fast and fit incredible seeing them and imagining JC, Fab and rest how quick they must be.

Men
JC
JG
Fabian
bolter Maes and top junior

This is a new venue, and while Fabian and a few others have been out here practicing they're arses off, still think experience will out win out right speed at this venue, the other results in Europe I put down to those Euro riders knowing the location so well especially the French in France and also used to super Enduros.

Anyway it should be one hell of a start to the EWS.

·
mountain biker
535 Posts
I think another factor that could come into play here is that the terrain looks very similar to where Fab and Nico live in the South of France. the familiarity with the required balance between drift and grip is sure to play into the southern frenchmen's favour.

·
Mtb Guide
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good thought they're slyfink.

Some more intel by the Athertons!
Race Preview: Enduro World Series Round 1 : Nevados de Chillan, Chile «

Day 2 looks to be on a Volcanco.

Sic as.

Few updates from other sites.

Interview with JLO
Interview: Justin Leov - Pinkbike

Nico Lau is on the Fritz
Surprisingly similar setup re bar heights.
Nico Lau's Cube Fritzz - Enduro World Series 1 - Pinkbike

Also nice take on the spirt of Enduro, quite a few doing this recently here at our EWS version, they must have got some tips from Eddie pre this video!

Video: The Spirit of Enduro ? How to become Number 1 | Enduro Mountainbike Magazine

·
Registered
267 Posts
I'm revising my choices for Juniors...

I still think Maes will win Juniors, but will go on to speculate that Yeti's other rider Rick Rudd, who won UCI World Junior DH last year, a factory rider under Grave's tutelage will come in second. They're both hitting the entire series this year, and I just can't imagine the Grave's wouldn't impress upon Rick. Rick is really slimmed down from DH bull shape, I hope Yeti has a good year. Disclaimer, I live in CO. : ) Though I rock the HD, not the SB.

·
Mtb Guide
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Don't know much about this Rudd guy but its great to see them run a junior program as well, the girls need this too so the sport can grow for them as well for the next level, which would be great for all.

Some more links most of you prob found but just in case for those that don't spider bot the web here's some!

Racers perspective of Chille during practice
Exclusive: EWS Round 1 Practice: A Racers Perspective! | Enduro Mountainbike Magazine

I have mixed feelings about this and had hoped EWS fine tuned this for 2014 and put a put in the sand.

Having just done an Enduro of this magnitude without any practice or course views, just logistically impossible for this event anyways, it was bloody tough going, especially finding markers on a mountain that looks pretty much the same either direction for as far as the eye can see.

So I'm in favour of a pre course run, but 1 only, no shuttling or practice, no GPS no data acquisition, I feel all this is not in the spirit of Enduro at all and does give some a major leg up in being competitive.

But you do need to atleast see each stage to make sure you know what you're in for get bearings on course markers!

Provides saftey but I also feel it would probably sort out the weak more those who need heaps of practice (piss take is my expression) and also keep speeds in control a bit more as Enduro is about improvisation risk analysis and skill, not just know the course my limits lets switch off the brain and DH this ****.

Not sure how many know this, I have even more respect for Tracey Mosely as an athelete she never shuttled any course last year including chairlifts, she rode in practice and race to each stage, incredible, and she won dominated her class, so it can be done this way, personally still ok with a chairlift up lol

But amazing stil the same, EWS needs to put stick in sand here re practice over practice!

A New World Beginning - Enduro World Series, Round 1 - Pinkbike

JC on top of his marketing game as well. Smart man
Follow JC EWS#1 Part1 - iceman2058 - Mountain Biking Videos - Vital MTB

Big fan of FabianB, but really common Fab this is not 2004/5 WC DH is this secrecy really nessecary, no one else is playing these games and it's not hurting they're results being open, really!
Fab turn it down a notch bro, lol.

PIT BITS - Enduro World Series 1, Ludo May's Canyon - PIT BITS - 2014 Enduro World Series 1, Chile - Mountain Biking Pictures - Vital MTB

·
Mtb Guide
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sic as pic of MM (Martin Maes) this kid is going to be huge!

saying he is in the men's!

#EWS
Stage 4 is fast flowing and impossible not to enjoy. Martin Maes of Atherton Racing is taking a big step into the men's field this year but it doesn't look like it's stopping him have any fun out there. #ewschile #throttlejam

·
Registered
267 Posts
If Maes is racing in the men's, ill go out on a limb and wager top 10 for him on this first enduro. I think the older men will have the advantage of experience on the various terrain down there.

·
Registered
6,420 Posts
AC completely dominated the Women's today, TMo in second and AB in third. Maes took Stage 1 by .2 sec overall! Fab had a massive crash on 1 and ruined his chances for an overall. Graves killed everyone on Stage 2 and is leading by 13 seconds now. Waiting for the full results from Stage 3, but EWS says that Graves leads, Clementz second, and dark horse Florian Nicolai in third. CG had a super fast run on Stage 3 and looks like he might have taken the stage.

Adam Craig is the top placed American rider in 13th currently. Once again Keene is the top 29r, but way off the pace. I wish Spec would either let him ride the Enduro 26 or give him a works E275.

Here are the top 20

1st Jared Graves Yeti / Fox Shox Factory Team (AUS) 17:42.08 3:31.89 (5th) 10:30.22 (1st) 3:39.98 (3rd)
2nd Jerome Clementz Cannondale OverMountain (FRA) 17:53.59 3:30.83 (3rd) 10:42.42 (2nd) 3:40.34 (6th)
3rd Florian Nicolai Rocky Mountain Urge BP Team (FRA) 17:54.71 3:29.98 (2nd) 10:44.43 (3rd) 3:40.29 (5th)
4th Cedric Gracia Santa Cruz (FRA) 17:58.83 3:35.06 (12th) 10:46.07 (5th) 3:37.70 (1st)
5th Justin Leov Trek Factory Racing Enduro Team (NZL) 18:03.77 3:34.37 (10th) 10:47.50 (6th) 3:41.89 (8th)
6th Nico Lau Cube Action Team (GER) 18:05.95 3:33.17 (7th) 10:52.61 (7th) 3:40.17 (4th)
7th Martin Maes GT Factory Racing (BEL) 18:07.18 3:29.73 (1st) 10:56.11 (10th) 3:41.34 (7th)
8th Alexandre Cure Rocky Mountain Urge BP Team (FRA) 18:09.12 3:38.31 (17th) 10:45.27 (4th) 3:45.54 (14th)
9th Remy Absalon Scott SR Suntour Enduro Team (FRA) 18:10.53 3:32.98 (6th) 10:53.41 (8th) 3:44.14 (12th)
10th Rene Wildhaber Trek Factory Racing Enduro Team (SUI) 18:12.15 3:31.42 (4th) 11:01.62 (18th) 3:39.12 (2nd)
11th Bryan Regnier (FRA) 18:15.77 3:34.33 (9th) 10:58.00 (13th) 3:43.44 (10th)
12th Francois Bailly-Maitre BMC Enduro Racing Team (FRA) 18:19.74 3:38.64 (18th) 10:53.93 (9th) 3:47.17 (20th)
13th Ludovic May Canyon Factory Enduro Team (SUI) 18:24.57 3:33.19 (8th) 11:06.82 (23rd) 3:44.56 (13th)
14th Aurelien Giordanengo Polygon UR (FRA) 18:24.78 3:35.84 (13th) 11:02.92 (19th) 3:46.01 (15th)
15th Fabien Cousinie Polygon UR (FRA) 18:26.17 3:39.55 (19th) 11:00.36 (14th) 3:46.26 (18th)
16th Damien Oton Devinci/Alltricks.com Enduro Racing (FRA) 18:26.60 3:36.84 (16th) 10:57.46 (12th) 3:52.30 (30th)
17th Adam Craig Giant Factory Off Road (USA) 18:30.38 3:43.62 (31st) 11:00.69 (15th) 3:46.07 (16th)
18th Iago Garay Santa Cruz (ESP) 18:30.43 3:36.24 (14th) 11:07.99 (25th) 3:46.20 (17th)
19th Jamie Nicoll Polygon UR (NZL) 18:31.79 3:43.98 (32nd) 11:00.93 (17th) 3:46.88 (19th)
20th Theo Galy Devinci/Alltricks.com Enduro Racing (FRA) 18:32.54 3:36.27 (15th) 11:08.68 (26th) 3:47.59 (21st)

·
Mtb Guide
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Good stuff SP

Good to see someone on the ball this morning, bit slow getting out of my tent today.

Yeah Graves is meaning business as is AC both stomping it, see graves and Maes and few Fox boys running the new 36? seems Fabians had an issue be good to here what that was? maybe more time riding his bike keeping it simple and less secrets playing with stuff?

So was this a win for 26" again lol btw just threw that in even though I'm totally on board with bigger wheels since I'm now a ***** these days! Haha.

Barring luck Jared is gonna be hot this year, he's not the most lucky rider though, many WC champs have missed by bad luck. Still good ride so far.

Justin Leov great result for him too he's on it!
Jamie Nicol top 20

Adam Craig representing aye!

And Cedric the entertainer is on it too.

top 20 within a minute of each other!

Nick Geddes in 41st, rode with him couple years back in Qtown NZed, go boi braap, another young DHer gone Enduro!

ManuelD in 33rd
Valentina 16th

Anyone know if these guys testing anything new from XFusion and Ibis?

·
Registered
6,420 Posts
Yep, a lot of riders on the new 36 including Nico Lau even after he stated he was sticking with the 34. Maybe he actually likes the stiffness of full size stanchions and a 20 mm axle....

Fabian crashed HARD and fell off a 10M/30Ft cliff! Can't believe he still finished the stages today, but I have a feeling he may not show up to the line tomorrow. The day after is always worse as the body stiffens up from all the swelling. Was stoked to see Leov high up the rankings and was honestly surprised to see how well CG is doing. Lau is not doing to badly either.

Overall a great first day of the season!

·
Registered
607 Posts
What a bummer for Barel, and also Josh Carlson, both crashed.
And Keene was way off pace too..
JC vs JG battle of enduro, and others ready to sneak up front, very close.
CG is not done yet, still kicking S....
Why Brian Lopes wasn't even there? Too late to register maybe?

·
Mtb Guide
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah man great day. Good write by Fab on his face plant page!

Hope he can ride, I suspect I been riding all week with broken ribs, so I hope he continues, I did my last two stages in intense pain anyone who has broken ribs knows what thats like Im was sucking up blood today loading the bikes at the end of the ride, 2hrs in a hot pool enthused, almost fell asleep haha.

As for forks there is no comparing 36s to 34s they have they're place but at this level and on 160mm bikes imo it was always pushing it, marketing at its best, everyone thought the end of 6" was happening last year, know everyone's going gang busters, the 36 damper is better even if ya haven't been testing it, you'd be mad not to ride it, look at JG 26"/36 and killing it to be fair he would killed it prob on anything competitive. 34 is no match for the Pike though! 36 looks like it has some guts finally.

I had a NZ junior champ DH rider ride my bike today, jumping hucking it, check out me TGB faceplant page for some vid, he came back saying man your bike is sick as dude, loved the XF and his sponsor is also riding with us, 7time National champion and legend totally cool with it a great dude on off the bike, still kicking arse too.

Fabs page for those interested to read his thoughts!
https://www.facebook.com/fabienbarel.co/posts/10152332984611291:0

Def great start to season.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts