Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Just Wanna Ride!
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Eastern Woods Research made some great bikes back in the day...glad to see that they're at it again. Looks like good stuff and they've added a 29er to the mix. A steel hardtail that's designed as an all-round technical trail bike sounds good to me.

The guys at DirtRag have been testing one for a while now and have posted some impressions. Should be in the print mag soon.

http://www.dirtragmag.com/blogarific/ewr-owb29er-how-it-rides/

·
And He was Not
1,686 Posts
Looks like a nice ride. I like the NOT so normal look of the bike. It also sounds like it is built for my exact riding style.

Look forward to hearing more about this frame... Maybe we will get some feedback from some people on this forum

·
And He was Not
1,686 Posts
I was also interested in what the headtube length is on the large

I didn't see it on thier site either

Hey I can have my H2O bottle right there where I can snatch it out and not crash putting it back in

MSRP seemed a bit high,...not complaining ... just saying :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Enoch said:
MSRP seemed a bit high,...not complaining ... just saying :rolleyes:
They're not cheap, but are US made (Pennsylvania, no less) and I can tell you that there's a lot more labor in the EWR design than in most customs. I'd like to offer a production frame for about that amount, so I'm not gonna bag on 'em ;)

·
And He was Not
1,686 Posts
Duzitall said:
http://ewrbikes.com/owb29er_specs

All specs right there. I would like to try a small. Penn is kinda far from San Diego for a demo though :rolleyes:
Maybe you need to look again....

OWB29er Geometry:

Head Tube Angle: 70.75 degrees

Seat Tube Angle: 73 degrees (73.5 degrees Small)

Top Tube Length: 22.7" (Sm)23.7" (Med), 24.6" (Lrg)

BB Height: 12.25 inches

Chainstay Length: 17.43 inches

Standover - 26.75", 31.0" with water bottle cage

BB Width - 73mm

Seatpost Diameter - 29.4mm

Seat Tube Diameter - 32.0mm

Engineered for a 4" travel fork

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Small Frame???

Are the small frames production now? Or are they still a special order one batch run? Small seems to have a short top-tube, 22.7"

·
You know, for kids
1,570 Posts
There are frames with shorter chainstays, what makes this one special at 17.43"??

DirtRag guy sure makes it sound good but I don't get where the special feel of this bike would be coming from.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
These bikes are even better in person. BITD Jay DeJesus was credited with helping develop both modern slalom and trials geometry, and this bike is right in line with that. Thylacine's bike was a homage to the early EWR's I believe, but I will let them chime on on that part. There are so many little details on these frames that you cant see in the pictures- from tiny gussets behind the seat tube to the paint choice (it actually helps shed mud) even though they are production bikes, they have many of the same 'touches' you get on a full custom. As for handling heavy riders and flexy fronts? Tube choices take care of that and if you look at who developed the bike, you will see that handling is the primary concern and a flexy frame just wouldnt cut it. These bikes are the real deal and hopefully Ill be able to swing one in the near future.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Wish I Were Riding said:
Seems like he wasn't incorrect about anything? :skep:
except for the fact that both Enoch and Enduramil were looking for the seat tube lengths for both medium and large sized frames.... which aren't listed...
the pic shows a 16" seat tube which corresponds to their small size frame, and the specs list the tt lengths for the larger frames, but no mention of the seat tube lengths.

so yes, hes WAS incorrect about it being in the spec sheet
all specs are there for the small, not the medium or large.

thanks for playing!
:D

·
Registered
29 Posts
Seat tube/head tube lengths

Don from EWR Bikes here. I'd love to answer your questions about the seat tube length and the head tube length, but I'm sitting in KY and my medium 29er is at the Dirt Rag office in Pittsburgh, PA, being reviewed by Karl.

Shoot Kenn an email ([email protected]), he is probably within 10 feet of both a medium and a large 29er frame; he'd be happy to provide those numbers for you.

Also, to answer the question about the small 29ers; at this point they are special order only.

·
I don't huck.
2,543 Posts
dankilling said:
...As for handling heavy riders and flexy fronts? Tube choices take care of that and if you look at who developed the bike, you will see that handling is the primary concern and a flexy frame just wouldnt cut it.... .
So the tubes do not look that oversize to me, maybe they are. If they are not bigger around, to be stiffer, they much be thicker, yes? If so, then they must be heavier then a straight, butted, thinner wall tube.

I don't get that as a compromise. But if the priorities are to be rugged and the frame is over-built for that purpose, then that is cool. Just not my idea of custom.

Hey, that is why they make all kinds of bikes!

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Wish I Were Riding said:
Doh! It looks like the measurements are all there accept the seat tube length. They show 16" for the small, and never mention seat tube length anywhere on their site for M & L. So I stand corrected, and thank you for handing me my hat. :eek:
consider your hat handed only with all due respect, a bit of wit, and possibly over-caffeinated rhetoric... please don't take it the wrong way!
:D

logic in standard frame sizing says chances are if the small's a 16 then the medium's an 18 and the large is a 20
But really, with that standover, I kind of think it's a bit less relevant...
I figure with a max standover of a mere 31 inches (calculated with the water bottle cage?!)... you could easily stand to run the longest frame possible and have more than enough cojone-clearance.

The large EWR (assuming it's analogous to a 20" frame) has 2 extra inches of standover than my 20" KM. *shrug*
Nothing but good points there.

As to the comments concerningg whether the frame is weaker... the tubes are actually REALLY well aligned to resist the forces concerned in biking.
The seattube-downtube reinforcement will do a great job helping with resisting torsion at the top of the frame, and will certainly aid in resisting buckling of the downtube.
And the downtube being given a more perpendicular angle to the forces felt by the headtube is in a great position to resist the front of the frame buckiling at the headtube/fork steerer junction!

Ask them, they're smarter than me, but basic stresses and strains examinations of the forces of impacts will probably show a marked increase in the frame's overall ability to resist deflection, at the expense of a lot more prep and welding time! (and cost I'm sure)

Now if I could only convince them I was semi-qualified reviewer and they'd send me a bright orange large sized frame for "long-term testing"...

*sigh*

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.