Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright, ive been e-searching for directions to this place since i seen couple of pics in this forum of it a couple weeks back...where the hell is it?

i know the builders dont want people to knwo about it btu i heard there is some good north shore style stuff there...i cant even find a general location other than edmonton, so anybody know where this is or has directions from lets say revolution cycle (142 st and stony plain road i think)

please help me i want to pay this place a visit

·
Double-metric mtb man
4,482 Posts
It is below Forest Heights Park and above the Multi-Use trail between the Dawson Bridge and the Cloverdale (Muttart) Foot Bridge.

The easiest way to get onto it is to go to the Riverdale Golf Course parking lot and start west on the Multi-Use trail...you'll barely be started and there is a fairly steep climb that branches off to the left (it's "right there" so keep your eyes open). Take that left, climb up onto the single track and you're set. You'll eventually pop out onto the Multi-Use trail again.

Hope it helps.

·
Registered
171 Posts
where did the Ewoks go?

In two seasons I've yet to find Ewok forest, I've had friends take me there but to find it myself I can't seem to... so using your directions and some fancy(ok some what normal) google earth work I think I found it... can someone confirm this to me please. Then from the trailhead is it the forested area that heads west toward muttart or the forested area that heads south and skirts between the roadway and then field?

p.s. the green line represents one of my fave singletracks. I rode it yesterday and it's quite tracked down so it's a good ride right now.

Attachments

·
Double-metric mtb man
4,482 Posts
The green line you have on there is the lower part of the Ewok Forest that Travis mentioned. The other part starts just at the start of the MUT leading southeast from the parking lot. There is a steep climb on the left hand side (as you leave the parking lot). Go up and you're in :)

·
Registered
171 Posts
awesome thanks for the confirm. I"ve got an older GPS that I've got no clue how to use, thinking of getting a garmin geko I would love to help map. I'm also trying ot find Gretzky's Root. I know approx where it is but help to find it would be awesome.

·
mojo mofo
143 Posts
thekrow4jc said:
In two seasons I've yet to find Ewok forest, I've had friends take me there but to find it myself I can't seem to...
Oh, so that's the Ewok forest. I used to live in Forrest Heights and ride through there almost every week. Then, like last year, a guy at a LBS was telling me about this 'Ewok forest' that I had to check out sometime, but he was all secretive about its location. :madman: :rolleyes:

It's a great place to hang out and let a summer rain shower pass, the trees do a pretty good job keeping the light rain out. There's a pretty hard climb to get out of there back up to Forrest Heights from the parking lot for the golf course, just before the sidewalk that goes up Rowland Road.

I think I've ridden most of the public trails around, just don't know their names. Maybe when you guys map 'em out you can get a few names up with them.

·
Registered
44 Posts
ribaldmanikin said:
I was thinking that this summer I'd map out some of the edmonton trails, including ewok with the GPSr, but you've found it with Google Earth. Anybody else with a GPSr interested in mapping out some local trails?
I picked up a Garmin Legend in the Fall to use while riding; even have the bike mount installed for it. Wouldn't mind exchanging map files as I mainly ride the same areas (incl the lower ewok forest)

·
Registered
171 Posts
gretzky's root

my understanding was it's a very rooty section somewhere on the trails southside of the river from shaw conference center to kinsmen. I was told it's a on a hill that's v shapped and is all roots. teh trail is shaped like a hockey stick, hence the name.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I've never heard of Gretzky's Root.

It sounds like a lot of riders have GPSrs. That's always a good thing. I don't have a bike mount, I just stick mine in the camelback, and it picks up a signal fine. I use a Magellan Explorist 400.

I'm pretty sure all the GPSrs that have a PC connection will work with Google Maps.

If we get the trails mapped, I'll throw up a simple website that hosts them.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hey brian, when you are going to check it out gimme a shout! I'd like to check it out too...heard a few things about it.

Anyone got any info on the condition its usually in for some early spring riding??

And whats it got in the way of stunts??

·
Double-metric mtb man
4,482 Posts
If you're talking Ewok, you'll want to make sure that it has a chance to dry a bit before you hit it. It has a fair bit of cover and will stay wet for a while...and in some areas it gets very soft when wet (meaning erosion can be a major concern).

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
haha...never thought id see you on this end of the old interweb again.

this is an old thread from last spring, i was planing on checking it out then. now i have the trails here and rabbit...so the ride is not nesicary

so you still got next week off school? we are most likley building monday till about 5-6. and i get my license friday!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Yeah, I'm off all of this week. I would have came out and helped today but I was in Marmot.

You can tell its getting close to good weather again when i start comin back around the MTBR forums. hahah

Matt is talking about giving up biking this season. So I need new riding buddies...be my new riding buddy man!! hahaha

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.