Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
But the darned thing is sitting on my bench because Manitou didn't send the right eyelet spacers. I told Dave that the Nomad is an oddball with its 3/8" (9.5mm) spacer size...so of course I received some wimpy 6mm XC spacers of some kind...LOL!

It's a good looking shock, and I can tell by the body construction that it appears quite different structurally from my equally sized 4-Way Air on one of my Bullits. It's nice to have the low and high speed compression adjusters that I really appreciated on my old 5th E coil. It has a bottomout chamber but allegedly no SPV which should work well on the Nomad. It came with a decent manual but no exacting details for specific bikes. Can't wait to get the right spacers and see if this really is a big hit air shock...finally.

Attachments

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No kidding, SS. I was a little pissed to see those 6mm spacers, but hey...it's not like I don't have another shock...or three...to scrape by with...LOL! I even went home and tried to drill out a couple of the 6mm spacers. Even with a good pin vise on my drill press, it was darned near impossible to get the final hole perfectly centered...even with slowly stepping up the bit sizes. I think if I had been sent 8mm spacers it might have worked. Perfectly removing 3.5mm of material was a lot harder than 1.5mm. I experimented on a Fox sized 8mm spacer and was able to get it right. This is one issue I have a real problem with Manitou...those 12mm OD spacers vs. the nearly 13mm Fox (and just about everyone else). Good grief, just make your spacer size like everyone else.

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Boy, those look like some nice spacers and bushings. I've used some of their stuff in the past on a couple of FSR Enduros...good product. I see they they have 3/8" versions which is what the Nomad uses. Thanks for the info.

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is this for real?

Surfas said:
I install on my BLT the Strong bush from BETD, and is a improvement over Fox.
See the photos of the bush and reducers http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=259640.
I may have miscalculated, but I just tallied up the cost of a pair of these bushings and spacers for this shock. The parts showed 30 pounds (British) with 16 pounds shipping. The monetary conversion factor for 46 pounds to U.S. currency came to nearly $90. If that's right, I don't care how cool these things are, $90 for a set of bushings and spacers is insane. I bought some linkage parts from BETD awhile back for an older Spec FSR Enduro, and they were in this same price range for a lot more hardware. Did I calculate something incorrectly here?

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh yeah, I've been on the phone with Manitou the last couple of days. They seem a little bumfuzzled about a part number and dimensions of the 3/8" by 22mm Nomad spacers...or choose 9.5mm X 22mm if you're not metrically challenged. Finally Tyler at Manitou said they could just get their shop to make a set. I said, "I don't hear any grinding in the background, so what's the holdup?"...LOL!

·
Registered
14 Posts
thread hijacking. hey guys, the x9 AM build kit for the SC nomad, comes with dt swiss 340 hubs. problem is that which model of the hub is it ? theres the 340 MTB,340 disc brake,340 centre lock and 340 through axel. so which is included in the X9 am build kit ? many thanks !, sorry for thread jacking,couldnt find a place to ask my question. SWeet rear shock TNC, hope you'll get to mount it soon :)

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
TNC said:
Oh yeah, I've been on the phone with Manitou the last couple of days. They seem a little bumfuzzled about a part number and dimensions of the 3/8" by 22mm Nomad spacers...or choose 9.5mm X 22mm if you're not metrically challenged. Finally Tyler at Manitou said they could just get their shop to make a set. I said, "I don't hear any grinding in the background, so what's the holdup?"...LOL!
So any news on this front? Sorry about the betd thing, but at least you know they are out there in case you get desperate. I've been wanting to put a 6 way on my Nomad for a while and thought it was odd that Manitou used Nomads as the platform for demonstrating the Evolver to the media dudes yet didn't offer the bushings.

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah, that's somewhat disappointing on them not having their act together on spacer availability on a shock they're definitely promoting for the Nomad. However, I guess I'm not howling too loudly as the rain, ice, and snow has been consistent here in western central Texas for the last week to 10 days, so I couldn't ride anyway...very odd for us, even in the winter. This is usually some of our best riding weather...55-60 degrees and sun usually. Anyway, the spacers are supposed to be here next week. Bobby at Manitou got involved and said that I will get the right spacers, pronto. My experience in dealing with him through the shop has always been excellent. He's always done what he says.

Hey Martin, I'm going to be curious on how that 6-Way works on the Nomad. I had a 5th E coil off a Bullit, but I could tell I didn't want the kind of pedal platform and mid-stroke support that shock provided on my Nomad...and the 6-Way is basically a 5th E coil. I loved that shock on my Bullits. I'm not saying it won't work on a Nomad. Please let us know how it works out.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Yeah, I'm kinda interested myself, although where I am it is -15C and 3 feet of snow, so biking is minimal, although snow bikin is a riot (man I want a Pugsley)! I picked up the shock from SCs sale so for $99 what the heck.
I may have to call Manitou, but they tend to not be overly helpful to Canadians, they just tell us to go through their distributor but I think they just found themselves without one for the moment - might be my chance, and if they are knocking a set off for you maybe I can get a set too!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.