Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how the Racer X frame has evolved over the past few years? I'm considering picking up an 05 frame and wondering how that frame differs from the 07. It looks like they went to carbon seat stays in 06. Are there any other differences? Was the frame weight still about 5 lbs. in 05? Any information would be greatly appreciated.
 

·
Hueston Woods Trail Crew
Joined
·
1,844 Posts
RX evolution

Several changes in '06/'07. Hydroformed chainstays along with carbon uppers and rockers knocked 130 grams off the total weight.
Shock now is RP23. 2005 might have Fox Float R, or possible other shock. Makes a difference.
Same dimensions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
631 Posts
Pedalfaraway said:
In 2006 Titus moved alum productinon overseas. If you get one get an american made 04/05. Hopefully thier sales of forgien built frames will fall and they will bring them back to the USA.
I don't claim to be an economics expert, but I'm not sure what makes you think that falling sales of their foreign made frames would bring production back to the states where their production costs are undoubtably higher than they would be overseas......:nono:

On top of that, I don't think falling sales could ever be a good thing for the consumer or company. Just one man's opinion.

later,
simp
 

·
Ti is addictive
Joined
·
2,894 Posts
GEEEEEZ, I always get a chuckle out of everyones complaint of "Taiwan" made frame.....It's been funny since a whole year plus has come and gone now and no real complaints about the Taiwan frames has occurred...(less the paint issues).

Gee How many Boutique frame owners will scream foul when SAPA increases their prices(and we all know that will happen sooner then later).....When all boutique frames with equal shocks,bolt kits, and bearings come into play, all of a sudden the foreign frame looks pretty good in pricing........

We b*tch over the front triangle welded by a foreigner dude, yet overlook the fact that the possible pothead in Oregon doesn't really cares that his Job/family/career depends upon every frame he/she welds.......

Gee I really like paying 200 BUCKS for my American Derailler (made in Taiwan).....geez, talk about the pot calling the kettle black.....

Sorry for my morning VENT........

Yes the Racer-X has evolve, it's become lighter, faster, less trail bike like it's earlier predecessor, but by evolving this way it has allowed the motolite to flourish......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
631 Posts
TiEndo said:
GEEEEEZ, I always get a chuckle out of everyones complaint of "Taiwan" made frame.....It's been funny since a whole year plus has come and gone now and no real complaints about the Taiwan frames has occurred...(less the paint issues).
And I could be wrong here, but I don't recall hearing that the RacerX had the "paint issues".....

simp
 

·
Ti is addictive
Joined
·
2,894 Posts
simplton said:
And I could be wrong here, but I don't recall hearing that the RacerX had the "paint issues".....

simp
Sorry simp, I lumped All the "foriegn" made frames together (Motolite, Racer-X, supermoto)

:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
631 Posts
TiEndo said:
Sorry simp, I lumped All the "foriegn" made frames together (Motolite, Racer-X, supermoto)

:D
No worries man!! It's all good.:thumbsup: And like I said, my not remembering hearing about doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Of course, us ti guys have no paint to worry about. :cornut:

simp
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,402 Posts
TiEndo said:
Yes the Racer-X has evolve, it's become lighter, faster, less trail bike like it's earlier predecessor, but by evolving this way it has allowed the motolite to flourish......
TE I'm with you. Old discussion and make it where you like as long as it performs the same. W ant a discussion worth while I want the old Titus back that I could call and get small parts and consistent service from. But we'll save that for another post.

The Racer X has become more trail bike IMO. It went from an 80mm only bike to a 10mm bike. The Carbon stays are on the ML so it isn't like the weight has made it more fragile and the Hydro forming should have made it stronger no?

I'd say an '05 is not hurting for too much of the new technology as long as it is a 100mm frame (And that's what you want). The shock could be outdated as Bob pointed out.

I'd expect frame weight to be slightly closer to 5.75+ lbs for 2005 frames depending on size.

-T
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
699 Posts
I wouldn't shy away from an 05. It should have the Carbon Links and the rear triangle is plenty stiff even if it does weigh a 1/4lb more...I mean we're talking a 1/4lb here (which to some I know is a lot). ;)

The 100mm or geeze, to stay with the 'Merican theme, 4" of travel makes the bike a little plusher than an 80mm model. However, understand something here, a Racer-X is a true "racing" platform...ie; the suspension is stiff, which makes it climb like a goat and hold corners like it's on rails, but it's no where near as plush as the ML.

As TiEndo and other's mentioned...the 05's I believe came with Progressive 5th Elements, which in the day weren't bad but it's amazing how suspension has evolved in 2 years. So you might want to consider going to a Fox RP3 or 23. Other than that, don't dis an 05!!!
 

·
thats right living legend
Joined
·
6,360 Posts
Waite?

Dropin%Dug said:
I wouldn't shy away from an 05. It should have the Carbon Links and the rear triangle is plenty stiff even if it does weigh a 1/4lb more...I mean we're talking a 1/4lb here (which to some I know is a lot). ;)

The 100mm or geeze, to stay with the 'Merican theme, 4" of travel makes the bike a little plusher than an 80mm model. However, understand something here, a Racer-X is a true "racing" platform...ie; the suspension is stiff, which makes it climb like a goat and hold corners like it's on rails, but it's no where near as plush as the ML.

As TiEndo and other's mentioned...the 05's I believe came with Progressive 5th Elements, which in the day weren't bad but it's amazing how suspension has evolved in 2 years. So you might want to consider going to a Fox RP3 or 23. Other than that, don't dis an 05!!!
I woulda swore the 05 RX came with an Rp3??? the ML did.
 

·
thats right living legend
Joined
·
6,360 Posts
Yep!

I'm sitting here with my 05 catolog and it's got about every shock available. Rp3, R, 5th, Swinger 4way. It's pictured in the adds with an Rp3, so I'd bet that's what came with it, which in my experiance is in no way outdated..... updated ? certanly!.... outdated?.. not quit yet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,211 Posts
blackagness said:
I woulda swore the 05 RX came with an Rp3??? the ML did.
Yep, good catch blackagness. That's what I was thinking as well. The RP3 is still a good shock. If you want have it Pushed and it will match up or exceed any shock currently available.

As far as frame differences: An '05 will still be a great frame. Stiff, solid, and fast. The CF chainstays on the later models is mostly bling imo. Everything else is the same.

In '05 the RX 80 and RX 100 were offered as separate options so make note of which one it is. Other than that just check what kind of shape the frame is in, check for cracks at the seat tube/top tube junction, check for play in the suspension pivots, and buy with confidence.

My '02 HH100x has thousands of hard miles on it and is still rock solid and I would put it up against any new four inch design out there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,402 Posts
Actually for 2005 the 3 way swinger was standard and the RP3 was an option. At least that is how our LBS sold all of their Racer X's at the time.
 

·
"El Whatever"
Joined
·
18,889 Posts
Dropin%Dug said:
As TiEndo and other's mentioned...the 05's I believe came with Progressive 5th Elements, which in the day weren't bad but it's amazing how suspension has evolved in 2 years. So you might want to consider going to a Fox RP3 or 23. Other than that, don't dis an 05!!!
Other than the horrible reliability, the 5th puts to shame many shocks... Its damping is top notch.

Too bad they were so unreliable. Mighty little shock there otherwise.
 

·
Ti is addictive
Joined
·
2,894 Posts
The Fox Float R was the standard shock in 04/05(not the rp3).........back in the day, it was the standard shock and all others were upgrades.......That was also the reason why the jump in price in the Racer-X the following year as rp3 then became the standard.....I was hemming and hawing over a Racer-X for 3 years before I caved in this year to get one and that was the one thing I was miffed over was a 85-125 dollar upcharge if I wanted a rp3 or 3 way swinger over the standard shock......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
699 Posts
Warp said:
Other than the horrible reliability, the 5th puts to shame many shocks... Its damping is top notch.

Too bad they were so unreliable. Mighty little shock there otherwise.
Geez Blacky...I dunno..:rolleyes: ...my 2005 Racer Exo-grid had a 5th on it. It might have been an early 05.

I found the 5th to be a little harsh for my liking. I hear ya TiE, I blew the 5th on my Switchblade out. It was totally not holding air and the rebound adjustment was shot...I just junked it and went with a FloatR. The ride of the 5th to me was harsh in that it seemed the platform took some powerful hits to over come. Ya might think that I didn't have it dialed in quite dead on, but it seemed to me to be a fine line between having a nice stiff platform to work off from during climbing and having a supple ride. I've found the RP23 to have a much broader range of adjustment in this regard and that's what I think has developed in just the last two years.. Then again it is a Push, so that may have something to do with it!!! :thumbsup:

In any case, whatever this bike has on it an 05 Racer-X is a fine frame to work from. Again I wouldn't shy away from it just because it doesn't have the carbon tail.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top