Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the wrenkoning a small DH bike?
other youtube users said it does very well on rocky down hill.

does the wrenkoning perform well over slow technical roots, rocky uphill?

·
Registered
80 Posts
I believe the Wreckoning qualifies as an enduro bike, but it has won DH races. It is quite the capable DH/park bike. Slow technical descents? I'm sure it's great with 160mm travel Delta suspension. Rocky uphills? All Evils can pedal, with some being more efficient than others. (Following/Offering)

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I've never ridden a Wreckoning but I have ridden the Offering and Insurgent and there's nothing at a bike park I'm willing to ride that I wouldn't ride on either of those. The Wreckoning would likely handle the chunky DH even better.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I think you're asking two questions. The first, is it a small downhill bike? And the second does it climb tech well? Easy answers no and yes. It's an enduro bike, not a dh bike. If you rode a new 29" dh bike at race speed in the park you would never try to compare the two. But it can handle double black park trails at cruising speed no problem. It does climb tech well cause it maintain traction very well, but it's not the most efficient bike for climbing in general. I love my wreckoning and have kept it for three seasons. I'd like a steeper sta, but no new bike has me interested enough to let the wreckoning go.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Demon Cleaner
784 Posts
It’s not my line but it stuck for me. The Wreckoning is overrated as a DH bike and underrated as a trail bike.

Love mine but I think it was so huge (160 mm on a 29er!!??) when it came out that everyone viewed it as a mini-DH bike. However, it’s an Evil which means short chainstays, modest head angle and pumpable suspension. Things that aren’t typical of modern super-enduro bikes. The result is a super fun to ride bike, but maybe not as all out fast as the newer generation of big bikes. Perfect for real riding if you have rough n rowdy trails.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am building up custom bike. I am thinking of getting size small with 180mm lyik fork.

Size medium would be too big for me.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
44 Posts
Is the small wreckoning frame = medium offering?
The specs of wreckoning medium top tube seems longer than the offering medium.
The steep seat angle of the offering makes it harder to compare the frame size. If you look at the reach, the offering is longer than the wreckoning. Same goes for the wheelbase. For the offering, I'd follow Evil's sizing recommendation, for older models I'd consider sizing up. For example, I'm 6' 2" and I hopped on a large offering and that felt just right to me, however my Calling is an XL and that feels just right.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
The boxxer would be too heavy. I don't want a full scale DH bike. I need an aggressive enduro version.

No it isn't. I've got a lyrik with the Vorsprung Smashpot coil. It wights 50 grams more than the boxxer 29". I really wish I just got a boxxer instead. The lyriks are great but there isn't enough bushing overlap in the 170 and 180mm travel versions to keep them stiff.

·
Registered
5,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No it isn't. I've got a lyrik with the Vorsprung Smashpot coil. It wights 50 grams more than the boxxer 29". I really wish I just got a boxxer instead. The lyriks are great but there isn't enough bushing overlap in the 170 and 180mm travel versions to keep them stiff.
Is the lyrik sensitive to big rocks and roots?

Would the boxxer make the front end too heavy to steer for enduro bike?

DH bike does not have to be agile like enduro bike in steering?
Am I right?

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Is the lyrik sensitive to big rocks and roots?

Would the boxxer make the front end too heavy to steer for enduro bike?

DH bike does not have to be agile like enduro bike in steering?
Am I right?

No the boxxer won't feel too heavy. It has a shorter axle to crown so you can run a longer travel fork and not mess up the geometry. The biggest different is the boxxer won't deflect and bind as much. So you'll hold your line a lot better and the fork will stay supple even when your smashing gnar.

·
Registered
5,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No the boxxer won't feel too heavy. It has a shorter axle to crown so you can run a longer travel fork and not mess up the geometry. The biggest different is the boxxer won't deflect and bind as much. So you'll hold your line a lot better and the fork will stay supple even when your smashing gnar.
Are you saying the lyrik tend to deflect from big rocky hits compare to the boxxer?

·
Registered
5,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My LBS mechanic said that the boxxer fork would create extra stress on the whole frame and the top tube. He does not recommend using the boxxer

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.