Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry, for posting here but there is no Evil board (yet).

Now that the snow is melting I've been getting some rides in and I've been tweaking my shock. I wanted to see what pressure folks were running and how it feels to them. Oh yeah, what fork are you running and what kind of pressure. I'll start first.

I weight 155 lbs. nekkid and I have a FloatX and a Pike160. I started with 155 psi and noticed I was only getting about 15% sag so I dropped it down to 140. I also tried it as low as 120. I noticed at 120 it still peddled well and wouldn't bottom out but it would wallow under bigger hits. I recently jacked back up to 140 and it stays really high in it's travel but it's a tad harsh. It seems to open up the faster I go though. Might try 135 for a happy medium. For my Pike I'm running about 35 psi with 1 token. It's pretty good but it's not great. I have an Avy kit coming for the Pike end of the month.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
I weigh about 190 or so and run my Uprising with 185 psi in the Float X. If the trails are super chunky I'll bump it up to 190, and it makes a notable difference. I ride the shock almost exclusively in the Trail-1 setting and it feels awesome. Plenty of lively feel for popping off features but it still takes the drops smoothly. Sometimes I play around with the Descend mode but that is really for more plowing.

I also have a Pike 160 with 1 token with ~52PSI, again in the super chunk I'll add 5PSI. I bought some more tokens and plan to add one more.

Wish I could swing the Avy kit for my Pike. Which kit did you opt for and how is riding so far?

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I went for the Open Bath kit for lower maintenance reasons. Craig was telling me that even with his add-on you'll still need to bleed that Charger damper pretty regularly to maintain the same feel. Now that it's dialed in it rides great. Rides much higher in its travel and it's very firm at low speeds, which is great for standing up and hammering. When the you start going faster it opens up and is quite plush w/o the mid stroke dive. Which was exactly what I was going for. I noticed that even with 2 tokens it still would dive on me if I landed nose heavy.

To update my shock settings I'm running about 140psi now and I run it wide open. I added some more pressure after hitting some bigger drops and bottoming it out. My riding is pretty chunky overall so I tend to ride my shocks on the plusher side.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts