Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently switched from a Calling to an Offering looking for a little bit more travel and better climbing position. I am 5’8” and had never tried a 29er before. Immediately I noticed the extra speed up and down with the bigger wheels but the I missed the playfulness the Calling is known for. I ride for fun, not for speed. I switched the rear tire of the Offering and got some of the playfulness back, but the handling was off and the climbing was negatively affected, probably because I was on x-low mode. Anyways, I decided to switch to 27.5 front and rear keeping it in x-low and I got what I was looking for and more. Right now the bottom bracket is extra extra low so the bike turns like nothing else, it is more playful and when going faster more stable than the Calling. Still climbs better than the Calling. I found nirvana! I rock a fox 36 at 150mm in the front and fox dpx2 rear. I ride Santiago Oaks, it know rips down Cactus and Yucca as it’s meant to be. I didn’t have a chance to ride chutes las week, but I will provide and update soon.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I went to Aliso today, I had a few pedal strikes climbing Choyan, as expected, but with some pedal planning it was doable. The downhill in rocket was awesome, but the short climb mid way was a pain. Lynx was awesome. I think I am going to try the 29er in the front only and switch to low setting, hopefully I don’t loose much of the playfulness and eliminate the pedal strikes, I will report next week.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So the offering reverse muller style helped in low setting reduced the pedal strikes and it was still very playful and super fast in Santiago Oaks Cactus, Yucca and chutes. Of course 27.5 front and back is still more playful, but I think I am going to keep it as a mullet for a while

·
Registered
54 Posts
my mullet

Do you have a picture of the bike in mullet setup?
What is the HA with the mullet setup in which geo position?
Thanks!
Heres mine with 160 fork low position and 64.9 head angle according to my angle pro app. best setup ive found yet on my offering or any other bike ive owned or ridden. I do not care if mullet thing is a fad or not or sticks around i just know it works for me. Been running it like this for 4 months, did not notice STA difference in climbing which im sure is slacker by close to a degree.

Attachments

·
Registered
87 Posts
What size tire are you running in the back? I'm thinking about building up an Offering with 27.5. Glad to hear it is better than the Calling. I was waiting for an update to the Calling and figured that the Offering was "the one" to replace it since it takes 27.5 x 2.6-2.8.

·
Registered
87 Posts
If anyone is wondering, 27.5 x 2.6 (Maxxis DHF) yields a super low 327mm BB.

To combat this low BB, installing a 185 x 50 shock from an EVIL Calling helps to keep your sagged BB height about 3-4mm higher than if you were to use the stock shock.

It also rides like a demon with the shorter stroke (50mm stroke = ~128mm travel). Super fast, poppy, like you're flying over everything. I run a 150 fork up front for reference.

Have not ridden this "short shock/SB 130 direct-competitor" with 29er wheels yet but I'm guessing it's going to be just as fun.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts