Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

evil offering vs following?

23K views 28 replies 14 participants last post by  ghetto 
#1 ·
Is there a huge difference in offering vs the following?
they all use same SRAM 12 speed.

Discussion starter · #3 ·
Ya. Seat tube angle. If your trails aren't steep or chunky you will be fine on a following. If you ride anything kinda steep or go to bike parks or anything like that the Offering is a much better option.
is the offering a enduro bike? I test ride the following recently and found its suspension to be the same as Pivot mach 5.7.

does Delta suspension act the same way as dw-link?

Discussion starter · #11 ·
You need suspension to be soft off the top and firm at the bottom, so that it absorbs small bumps and supports you on bigger hits. It's all about balance. The leverage ratio of evil bike frames are progressive, the spring rate of an air spring is also progressive so the net outcome is more progressive than needed. The extra support might be nice for really big hits, but at the cost of traction (compliance). Matching a linear spring, aka a coil shock, to the progressive frame provides a good balance. In addition to that air springs have additional seals that create stiction (notchy feeling suspension), so a coil spring will move more easily both off the top and towards the end of the stroke. Imagine you're blasting through a rock garden with a g-out turn at the bottom, you air spring might be packed down and basically not moving by the time you get to the turn, so you'll loose traction. A coil spring will remain active deep in the stroke and provide supple traction through the g-out turn. I'd 100% recommend a coil shock on any progressive leverage rate bike. You don't need to buy the crazy pricey Push shock. But it is a good idea to have your shock tuned for your weight, bike, riding style and terrain. I have a very inexpensive DH shock (RS kage) on my wreckoning that was tuned by Diaz Suspension Designs. It only cost me $350 total and it is absolutely amazing, the stock air shock feels like a harsh wooden damper by comparison. On my new bike I have the new Marzocchi Bomber CR ($250, it's old DH tech with modern metric sizes) and had Craig at avalanche tune it ($300). It's even better than the one on my wreck and i bet very close to the 11-6 in performance (they share the same size piston and porting design). The advantage of the 11-6 is there are two independent circuits, so you can have two setups in one, but I don't think it's necessary or worth the cost.
Thanks for the explanation

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.