Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a V3 Following and got it assembled. I’m using the Shimano XT M8130 superboost crankset with Chris King bottom bracket. and have run into a problem. The Shimano chainring (30t) would rub on the rear swing arm when installed, just slightly. The assembly bolts on the chainring its self, would just rub. I ended up installing a 1 mm spacer on the drive side to resolve the problem. However, even with that, the chainring would rub excessively on the lower most portion of the chainguide ( the bottom of the mounting bolt bracket area). I ended up needing to remove the chianguide for it function. The chainline seems fine, it just seems like a problem with the width of the Shimano chainrings due to how it made. Have you run into this problem before? Do I need to use a non-shimano chainring? I’ve reviewed all the install documents from Shimano to make sure I had the spacers in the correct spots and orientation, and double checked the bottom bracket install instructions as well to make sure that was correct.
I've measured by chainline at about 57mm or so, (Evil states it should be 56.5mm, which makes sense with the 1mm spacer I added.

Has anyone else run into this? Which chainring is Evil using on there XT builds? The CRM-85?
IMG_7371.jpg shimano_corona-xt-m8100-sm-crm85-direct-mount_02.jpg

·
Void Ab Initio
81 Posts
I recently purchased a V3 Following and got it assembled. I’m using the Shimano XT M8130 superboost crankset with Chris King bottom bracket. and have run into a problem. The Shimano chainring (30t) would rub on the rear swing arm when installed, just slightly. The assembly bolts on the chainring its self, would just rub. I ended up installing a 1 mm spacer on the drive side to resolve the problem. However, even with that, the chainring would rub excessively on the lower most portion of the chainguide ( the bottom of the mounting bolt bracket area). I ended up needing to remove the chianguide for it function. The chainline seems fine, it just seems like a problem with the width of the Shimano chainrings due to how it made. Have you run into this problem before? Do I need to use a non-shimano chainring? I’ve reviewed all the install documents from Shimano to make sure I had the spacers in the correct spots and orientation, and double checked the bottom bracket install instructions as well to make sure that was correct.
I've measured by chainline at about 57mm or so, (Evil states it should be 56.5mm, which makes sense with the 1mm spacer I added.

Has anyone else run into this? Which chainring is Evil using on there XT builds? The CRM-85?
View attachment 1382739 View attachment 1382741
I had this same issue with my Following MB and the SLX chainring. I also used a 1mm spacer to push the chainring out and a couple of nylon washers to move the chain guide out as well. Maybe a different chainring would work better.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same issue on my Wreck LB. Evil told me to buy an xtr chainring which I did. Works great with the recommended spacing and no wonky spacer work around needed. It was not cheap and I am sure there are other direct mount chainrings that will work but I figured I would follow their suggestion; and the xtr direct mount chainring looks sweet.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got mine working with a Wolftooth chainring, no additional spacers required. It’s basically the space of the bolt heads on the XT chainring that cause the problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts