Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me preface this by stating I do not personally have anything against E bikes. If it gets people on a bike and out in nature, more power to them.

That being said, definitely not something I would be interested in. I am on my 5th Evil and enjoy the somewhat...."ride with total abandonment"......philosophy that they have come to represent.

With the advent of YT, Pivot, and now Santa Cruz designing and implementing E bikes in their lineups, do you think it's only a matter of time before Evil follows suit?

Or are we unlikely to see them enter that realm of bikes for the foreseeable future?

·
Registered
605 Posts
I think they are no doubt working on one. I hear Yeti is close too with one pretty far in development.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
943 Posts
If I were to guess, I would say: Yes.

Mostly b/c (and I'll sound like a Evil hater, but that's "ok") I think Evil has manufactured their image more than anyone. As much as Yeti has cultivated the "Tribe" and their "performance first" image, Evil has mfg'd their "outlaw ethos" image.

I'd really be shocked if Transition came out with an e-bike...then again: nothing's really all that shocking.

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
If companies want to sell...especially in Europe...they have to make an e bike. I'm noticing more and more e bikes at the trails I frequent. Like electric cars...electric bikes are the future.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
If companies want to sell...especially in Europe...they have to make an e bike. I'm noticing more and more e bikes at the trails I frequent. Like electric cars...electric bikes are the future.
Not sure that analogy is appropriate. Electric cars are to reduce the carbon footprint. An ebike actually adds to the footprint over a regular bike, by adding a battery, motor and accompanying wires and extra lube products necessary for said motor to function as well as the draw from the energy system to "fuel" it.

But in strict numbers, I agree. Ebikes will increase, though I doubt they'll replace regular bikes; just supplement. And maybe even replace cars. I can see an e-cargo bike replacing runs to the grocery store, depending on distance and environment.

·
Registered
441 Posts
The clue is in the names, which were secretly planned out years in advance. Evil, yEti, spEcialized.....but somehow santa cruz messed it up. ;-)

·
Cleavage Of The Tetons
5,970 Posts
Santa CruzE

·
Registered
122 Posts
Anyone hear anything in the works with Evil's venture down the eBike hole? I rode a friends YT Decoy and it absolutely ruined me. Never thought I'd ever be considering an eBike, buuuuuuuuuut... if Evil made one, I'd be done and already shuttling myself up for another run.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Not sure that analogy is appropriate. Electric cars are to reduce the carbon footprint. An ebike actually adds to the footprint over a regular bike, by adding a battery, motor and accompanying wires and extra lube products necessary for said motor to function as well as the draw from the energy system to "fuel" it.

But in strict numbers, I agree. Ebikes will increase, though I doubt they'll replace regular bikes; just supplement. And maybe even replace cars. I can see an e-cargo bike replacing runs to the grocery store, depending on distance and environment.
Actually, it takes a long time for an electric car to get its carbon footprint equal or less than a ic car, mainly because of the energy cost of producing the battery. 500,000 lbs of dirt excavated to get the lithium needed for one battery.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

·
Registered
122 Posts
The biggest problem I see with an Evil E Bike is packaging. The delta system that brings many of the riding characteristics to Evil bikes sits in exactly the same place where an e bike motor is located.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
I think we'll see a lot of new ebikes after Shimano announces their new motor at the end of the month. Seems like a lot of manufacturers are just waiting on that.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I know the name of the Evil e-bike.
The Fu*kining

MTBR automatically adjusted my spelling

"I can't say what I want to even if I'm not serious"

·
Cleavage Of The Tetons
5,970 Posts
I know the name of the Evil e-bike.
The Fu*kining