Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My oldest daughter (15) got accepted to do a business course at Lycoming College last week. Since Raystown was somewhat on our way home, we decided to pack up the bikes and ride Raystown when we picked her up yesterday. Got to the college at around 10:00 am, took a walk to the quad and checked out a car show they were having. We were in Huntingdon around 1:00. Stopped at the Original Pizza shop and ate lunch and then off to the trails. I think we got on the trails around 2:00. Decided to ride Buck > Doe > Osprey > Sidewinder > Rays > Ridge > Loco > Redlegs > Allegripis > Buck. Well, the best laid plans. Somewhere around the end of Osprey, I felt my rear end getting squirrely. I checked my tire on Sidewinder and it was getting low. Yes, my pump was safely in my bike bag in my vehicle:madman: I figured that we'd see someone, and instructed my wife and kids to go ahead. If they saw someone, tell them that I needed a pump. Well, we got on Rays, and when we were supposed to make a left on to Loco, I guess we went right on Rays. I was already pushing my bike, hoping to see another human. About 45 minutes to an hour later, I caught up to my wife and kids, and there was no happiness, we were still on Rays. I was still pushing and hoping. A while later we made it to the 'outlook', where Rays and Ridge meet, a place we are familiar with. We gathered ourselves and I figured we had 4-5 miles back to the car. And, again, I was hoping to run into another person. I pushed for a while before I decided enough was enough, and started riding the downhills. I was getting concened about making it back to the car before dark. About a quarter mile from the Grippis/Redlegs junction, I finally ran into someone with a pump. A nice couple, who were happy to help. I felt bad, since they just started their ride and I was taking time from them. More bad decisions! So I pumped up my tire, and could hear the air leaking out. Decided to use the tube in my Camelbak, but my rims were drilled for presta's and I had a shrader!:madman: :madman: :madman: So I pulled out my quick patches, and pumped up the intertube. Ran it past my lips until I found the hole. It was on the outer part of the tube. I patched and figured I could catch up to the family. Put the tube back in and the tire on, the nice couple left, and during all this my youngest called my cell phone. When I went to pick my bike up again, I could hear the tube losing air.:skep: I never checked the tire for something penetrating it.....until this morning. It was a thorn. As soon as I put the patched tube back in, it put another hole in the tube. I know better. I knew I had to get moving to make a mile or 2 before the tire went flat again. I got to an uphill, where I needed to push so I decided to call my youngest back. I took off my pack and noticed that the pocked I keep my cell and wallet in was half open.:eekster: When I opened it the entire way, I found only my wallet, no phone. I said a few choice words and decided to leave my bike, hoping someone would take at this point, and go find my phone. Then I decided against, jumped on and road, with the flat, looking for the phone. About 50 yards from where I started, I heard my phone ringing????? I looked around and didnt see anything. Then I tore my pack apart. It wasn't where I normally keep it. Then I opened a compartment, that I think I've never used, and there was my phone. Bitter sweet! Have my phone, but now I'm totally flat and 50 yards further than where I was. I decided to ride as much as I could to make time and push up the hills. It killed me hearing my rim hit metal to rock, and it was treachorous doing the 'whoopdee doos' and then a sharp turn. It was squirrely, but I was doing fine. Then I came to the uphills at Buck:skep: I started pushing up Buck (mind you, I've pushed my bike approximately 6 miles) and I started to cramp in my calves. I caught the one in my right calf by pressing as hard as I could against the cramp. I only had 1.5 miles back, but I was whooped. I'd been out in the 90* heat for about 3.5 hours. I gingerly walked up the hill with my bike. When I got to the top I started riding again. This time the flats and downhills. I got another call from the family, they made it to the car. I told my wife to load the bikes and meet me at the campground entrance. I was pumping my tattered bike down the paths, figuring I'll need a new rim, tire and tube, by the time this was over. I made it out of the woods at around 6:15. Only to have a 2 hour drive home :thumbsup: My biggest hope was that I didn't ruin my kids (12 & 15) from ever wanting to come back. They had a tough day, but made it through. I won't say they enjoyed themselves, but they said they still wanted to go back in October for our fall trip.

Moral....My crew now has direction to ensure that we have all our supplies before we leave on a ride. I obviously can't be trusted to be prepared as I should be. Must be due to my increasing age!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Wow. I had a rough time at Raystown only b/c I slipped on the slick rocks on the uphill beyond the bridge on Sidewinder and fell to the right, messing up my rear derailleur. So I didn't have access to about 3 gears on the rear, which made the ride back to the lot less than fun. Got back to the lot, fiddled with it a bit but couldn't never get it right, so rode the southern end w/o those gears. B/c of my difficulties, neither myself nor my friend I was riding with were willing to tackle Allegheny, as the thought of getting stuck out there was too much.

However, as for your issue, the good thing is that you know what you did wrong so should be able to prepare better for the future. In my case, I've always got a patch kit and 1-2 tubes in my camelbak, and always have a pump strapped to my bottle cage on my bike.

Good luck next time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry,but I am really having a hard time finding any sympathy for you--4 riders and no one has a pump--you have a tube,but it is not the right valve size--once you did find someone with a pump,you forgot to run your hand inside the tire to feel for a thorn or whatever.
The trails there are lightning fast, how long would it have taken for one of the other riders to go a few miles back to the car and get the pump,or you as the leader ,borrow their bike and get the pump ? the avg speed there is 20 mph. Was this your first ride ? Was this your first flat ?No sympathy here--get a road bike--you dont belong out on the trails

·
Gravity's Gone
1,384 Posts
forkless said:
Sorry,but I am really having a hard time finding any sympathy for you--4 riders and no one has a pump--you have a tube,but it is not the right valve size--once you did find someone with a pump,you forgot to run your hand inside the tire to feel for a thorn or whatever.
The trails there are lightning fast, how long would it have taken for one of the other riders to go a few miles back to the car and get the pump,or you as the leader ,borrow their bike and get the pump ? the avg speed there is 20 mph. Was this your first ride ? Was this your first flat ?No sympathy here--get a road bike--you dont belong out on the trails
First post after joining three years ago - now that's lurking. I gotta agree with Forkless although I probably woulda tried to sugar coat it a little more. Harsh but true.

·
Registered
324 Posts
forkless said:
the avg speed there is 20 mph.
Dude you need to be racing pro if you can maintain a 20mph avg. You could be making a living on riding! Maybe on some of the downhill sections, but you did say avg., so that means to me over the course of the entire ride. And to do all the trails will net you over 40 miles, a 20mph avg for 40 miles is deffinatly PRO level! You da man!

You guys are tough for sure. We all had to start somewhere, and we all have to learn lessons our own way. I'm sure we have all made choices that turned out to be less than the perfect choice. I guess maybe there are some perfect people that never forget anything and don't make bad choices, and can maintain 20mph avg at Raystown, but I certainly ain't one of them.

The important thing is that you learn from past experiences.

·
Gravity's Gone
1,384 Posts
I'm not hating on anybody I'm just saying - my kids are the same age as the OP - 15 & 12. My oldest doesn't ride much but my youngest does. You can darn well bet when I take them out I'm prepared for anything from a broken chain to multiple flats. They're kids for godsakes, the last thing I want is for them to be scared one or all of us won't make it out. Be prepared and as WindWalker said - learn from it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
your missing the point---big time
all we are saying is that a 4 or 5 mile ride back to the car( especially on those trails) is not a big deal
stick with the point of the origional posting--you drifted way out there
nanker is 100%right
I mean you can walk that far in a few hours
the first thing you want to teach your kids is have enough water/a tube/and a pump
get real this guy has been a mtbr member for over a year and he doesnt teach his wife and 2 kids to at least have a pump--4 riders no pump
its not like im asking him to carry an extra derailler !!
so he writes a 2000 word epic of this ordeal that should never have happened
in the first place
still no sympathy from me !!
Ok now you go and count the words in his post and tell me im wrong about the amount
im sure you will be more concerned about that than what we are discussing

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
forkless said:
your missing the point---big time
all we are saying is that a 4 or 5 mile ride back to the car( especially on those trails) is not a big deal
stick with the point of the origional posting--you drifted way out there
nanker is 100%right
I mean you can walk that far in a few hours
the first thing you want to teach your kids is have enough water/a tube/and a pump
get real this guy has been a mtbr member for over a year and he doesnt teach his wife and 2 kids to at least have a pump--4 riders no pump
its not like im asking him to carry an extra derailler !!
so he writes a 2000 word epic of this ordeal that should never have happened
in the first place
still no sympathy from me !!
Ok now you go and count the words in his post and tell me im wrong about the amount
im sure you will be more concerned about that than what we are discussing
Forkless you are a forking icehole:D You must be a youngster brought up shielded from adversity and have no idea how to handle it, but that's ok. I didn't post this for your sympathy or anyone elses, just to have a laugh at my expense due to my unpreparedness. You are very familiar with Raystown and can AVERAGE 20 mph on the trails:rolleyes: , but fail to realize it is a LOOP? We were never in danger, just had to deal with a little adversity. I wouldn't do it on purpose, but I wouldn't change that day for anything. My kids are stronger for it, didn't ***** about it and just pushed through and know that they not only can count on their parents in tough situations but they can count on themselves. Every day is a learning experience whether it's a tough lesson or a blessing. Your lesson today is that you're an idiot.:thumbsup:

I've been mountain biking since the early '90's. As I said in my "2000 word epic of this ordeal" I KNEW I should have had my pump, and also KNEW that I should have checked the tire for a foriegn object, I had an off day. Flame away or laugh it up. I know I've been laughing about it for a couple days now.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I guess I'm showing my age. Hasn't everyone seen the movie "Johnny Dangerously"?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts