Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

3201 - 3220 of 3246 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Anybody have any thoughts on sizing for the Following MB? I see the website recommends a large up to 6'4". I was wondering if that was consistent with experience. For the record I'm 6'1.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Anybody have any thoughts on sizing for the Following MB? I see the website recommends a large up to 6'4". I was wondering if that was consistent with experience. For the record I'm 6'1.
I always thought I was taller, yet measured barefoot at the doctors I'm 5'9" and ride a Large with 50mm stem + 800mm bars. This is after incorrectly (IMO) buying a medium frame. Whilst I can ride both sizes, the riding I do the most, involves distance and climbing where the Large is far more comfortable (seated reach) for me.

I suspect Evil's size guide is more reflective of the big bmx, skills and thrills side of their brand. If you want a compact jump machine (great fun) go with the sizing chart. If you want more of an all rounder and overall capable ride, then size up.

On One dropper on the larger frame helped me out. You can always run a really short stem when sizing up and gain more agility and front end pop for park use.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I noticed competitive cyclist had Following frames almost half off and they are sold out on Evils website which indicates perhaps a new frame design on the way. Anyone heard rumors?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hi Guys,

I’m thinking of picking up a Following MB on sale. I’m 5’7 with a longer wingspan than height. I normally ride mediums and don’t have issues running a 125mm dropper except with the medium Pivot 429SL I just bought where I have to run a 100mm dropper. Anyone my height on a medium able to run a 125mm dropper without any issues?

Thanks

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi Guys,

I’m thinking of picking up a Following MB on sale. I’m 5’7 with a longer wingspan than height. I normally ride mediums and don’t have issues running a 125mm dropper except with the medium Pivot 429SL I just bought where I have to run a 100mm dropper. Anyone my height on a medium able to run a 125mm dropper without any issues?

Thanks
I had a medium MB with a Gen 1 Oneup 150mm dropper that fitted almost slammed. You can adjust the travel of the these posts so you should be good to go. Alternatively if you already have a post, check the oneup specs to see if your current post will fit.

BTW I'm 5'9 and moved from a medium to a large with a 50mm stem. Think you'll be ok with a medium but anticipate a 50mm stem and wide bars to get the best fit.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi Guys,

Thanks
I am 5'-8" & have a medium Following MB with a 160mm Bike Yoke dropper, 160mm handlebars with a 50mm stem.

·
Titanium Junkie
Why Cycles S7
1,665 Posts
So I am considering a FMB but running it as a 27.5+. In other threads, I have read that it’s recommended (but not necessary) to run a 140mm fork. I currently have a CC Helm Works fork that is a 130mm fork, with no option to extend without buying all new uppers.

That being said, would the Wolftooth 10mm bottom headset extender work in the frame to give me the extra a-c? I assume the FMB uses a traditional internal bottom cup but the super huge HT is throwing me off.

https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com...ooth-lower-headset-cup-extender-zs-zero-stack

Thanks for any advice ~

·
Registered
5,802 Posts
I don’t think it’ll work. Evil uses an oddball lower cup. I think it’s 62mm vs the WT cup at 56mm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
156 Posts
So I am considering a FMB but running it as a 27.5+. In other threads, I have read that it’s recommended (but not necessary) to run a 140mm fork. I currently have a CC Helm Works fork that is a 130mm fork, with no option to extend without buying all new uppers.

That being said, would the Wolftooth 10mm bottom headset extender work in the frame to give me the extra a-c? I assume the FMB uses a traditional internal bottom cup but the super huge HT is throwing me off.

https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com...ooth-lower-headset-cup-extender-zs-zero-stack

Thanks for any advice ~
That Wolftooth headset wouldn't fit as you would need a ZS62mm lower cup. You could achieve the same effect with a 10mm Crown Race Extender - something like this:

https://www.reverse-components.com/en/products/05°-angle-spacer-tapered-forks

·
Registered
441 Posts

Thanks for any advice ~
I ran 27.5+ on my FMB - I had already gone with a 140 fork and noticed the lower BB / more pedal strikes with the plus wheels (2.8” tyres) - if you ride somewhere with rocks etc it’s a factor for sure, but if you have smoother trails you may get away with it. You could check the Axle to Crown of the helm fork to see how it compares to others (in case it’s more... long shot perhaps)

·
Titanium Junkie
Why Cycles S7
1,665 Posts
I ran 27.5+ on my FMB - I had already gone with a 140 fork and noticed the lower BB / more pedal strikes with the plus wheels (2.8” tyres) - if you ride somewhere with rocks etc it’s a factor for sure, but if you have smoother trails you may get away with it. You could check the Axle to Crown of the helm fork to see how it compares to others (in case it’s more... long shot perhaps)
Thanks for the feedback, I haven’t read that too much. Seems like people are relatively happy with the bike set up in 27.5+. If push came to shove I could get a longer fork but realistically I’m hoping to move most everything over from an existing hardtail build. My back is struggling these days with the constant pounding....

·
Registered
441 Posts
Thanks for the feedback, I haven’t read that too much. Seems like people are relatively happy with the bike set up in 27.5+. If push came to shove I could get a longer fork but realistically I’m hoping to move most everything over from an existing hardtail build. My back is struggling these days with the constant pounding....
Ah let me clarify - I did like it 27.5 (especially in winter when conditions are not as good) but I did notice having to be more careful with the lower BB. I moved to the Offering and am running 27.5+ now in fact. Switching back to 29 when the weather improves

·
Titanium Junkie
Why Cycles S7
1,665 Posts
Ah let me clarify - I did like it 27.5 (especially in winter when conditions are not as good) but I did notice having to be more careful with the lower BB. I moved to the Offering and am running 27.5+ now in fact. Switching back to 29 when the weather improves
Thanks for that. I am not a 29”er guy, yes I have ridden a newer one and the larger wheels just aren’t for me. Really hoping that I can find a compromise, rode a Following 1st gen a few years ago and loved it, this just seems to tick the boxes for me. I’ve kind of narrowed it down to a 5010 or the FMB.

·
Norðwegr
1,908 Posts
What would a fair price for a v1 frame be? Any pitfalls with the v1? Looking for a non-boost frame so I dont have to buy anything other than the frame.

·
Registered
262 Posts
What would a fair price for a v1 frame be? Any pitfalls with the v1? Looking for a non-boost frame so I dont have to buy anything other than the frame.
You can get a new following frame on Jenson for 1364.99, non boost. I'd say that's a good deal for a new carbon frame.

3201 - 3220 of 3246 Posts