Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

3181 - 3200 of 3240 Posts

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I'm 5' 9.5" too. I have a medium V1. Love how it handles. Personal preference, of course, but it doesn't feel the least bit cramped to me.
Yeah... Was gonna mention 9mm of reach difference might not be very noticeable.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Sorry only just seen this thread but for future ref, I wouldn’t use a a power drill. I snapped the head off one my linkage bolts on my first following. Using a tiny 2mm metal bit in an old fashioned manual hand drill did the job in 10 min. This gives you way more control than a power drill. Good news you got it out though :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Anyone out there have or know about someone who has a medium orange Following MB frameset in great shape for sale? Very interested! I prefer it over the Offering. I have a V1 Following currently. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
OK... so I decided to ditch the Monarch shock and go with a Mcleod. The Mcleod comes as a 190x50 so you need to install a reducer. I contacted Manitou to get one. Sent a self addressed envelope as asked by Manitou, well that envelope got lost in the mail on its way back to me. Contacted Nick at Manitou and he sent out another one. Here's where it gets interesting. In my impatience to get the shock installed I figured let me just see if the shock would fit and function without interference anywhere on the frame. Well it does, but it increases BB height by 5/8" raising it to 13.9" and decreases HA by 2* giving 67.5*. So I decided to flip the chip to the low setting and see where it goes well all works fine and no interference. Giving me aBB height of 13.5" and HA of 66.5*. So I know some people have had interference problems on their Followings, mine is a size large and this shock works with no issues and increases travel to somewhere around 140.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
How's this setup working out for you? Ride/handling : good or bad???
So the extra 6mm of travel pushes the rear wheel travel to 150mm. There is no frame contact at full compression but the wheel will contact the seat when the seat is dropped all the way down. First thing that was noticeable was the brake jacking when hitting front brake you can feel the seat come up underneath you, not so noticeable on the trail though when braking with both brakes. One other thing I did notice was understeer when turning in certain situations and it does cause the suspension to wallow at low speeds. I'm going to bring the bike back down to 120mm when I get the spacer for the shock. I think to really make this work if I wanted, I would need to install an angle set to get the BB a bit lower and slack the head angle and also probably bring the fork to 150mm. I liked the bike the way it was at 120mm. With the fork at 140 and the rear at 120 the bike has a head angle of 65.5 with a BB of just around 13" and feels livelier the 150 was a bit much for where and what I ride.

·
Registered
123 Posts
So the extra 6mm of travel pushes the rear wheel travel to 150mm. There is no frame contact at full compression but the wheel will contact the seat when the seat is dropped all the way down. First thing that was noticeable was the brake jacking when hitting front brake you can feel the seat come up underneath you, not so noticeable on the trail though when braking with both brakes. One other thing I did notice was understeer when turning in certain situations and it does cause the suspension to wallow at low speeds. I'm going to bring the bike back down to 120mm when I get the spacer for the shock. I think to really make this work if I wanted, I would need to install an angle set to get the BB a bit lower and slack the head angle and also probably bring the fork to 150mm. I liked the bike the way it was at 120mm. With the fork at 140 and the rear at 120 the bike has a head angle of 65.5 with a BB of just around 13" and feels livelier the 150 was a bit much for where and what I ride.
Let us know how Mcleod compares to Monarch.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I'm building up a 120/120 MB and was wondering if anyone has tried the new Float DPS shock in this configuration vs the standard Super Deluxe RCT3. I'm aiming for a light and snappy bike to complement my 150/140 Offering, which I run in x-low with a pretty burly kit.

If anyone is interested, I may have a brand new RCT3 for sale shortly.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've never got on that well with the RCT3 and I'm thinking of a Topaz to replace it. Would be very interested in your thoughts if you change to the Fox.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I've never got on that well with the RCT3 and I'm thinking of a Topaz to replace it. Would be very interested in your thoughts if you change to the Fox.
The Topaz will probably be a much better option than the Monarch.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Let us know how Mcleod compares to Monarch.
Only have one ride on the Mcleod at 120. Shock is way better than the Monarch for me. The Monarch required too high of pressure for my weight to get the right sag, I think that's why it never felt good just kind of dead feeling. The Mcleod with the spacer and volume reducer feels way better. Running 185psi to get 25-30% sag. Rebound at about 3/4. Shock feels much more active. The rear tire stays in contact with the ground much better now especially on loose over hard chatter and the rear wheel moves into it's travel much easier especially on square ledges. It's a much smoother ride and less jittery. So far I like the way this shock feels much better than the Monarch. I think the Monarch would probably be fine for lighter riders but in my case not so much. The tune on the Monarch just wasn't right for me I even tried the standard air can to see if that would help but it was actually worse that way, still needing too much air to get proper sag and giving a harsh ride. This is the second bike that I have put a Mcleod on and both times it's been a winner. So if you're considering one of these shocks I'd say go for it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Only have one ride on the Mcleod at 120. Shock is way better than the Monarch for me. The Monarch required too high of pressure for my weight to get the right sag, I think that's why it never felt good just kind of dead feeling. The Mcleod with the spacer and volume reducer feels way better. Running 185psi to get 25-30% sag. Rebound at about 3/4. Shock feels much more active. The rear tire stays in contact with the ground much better now especially on loose over hard chatter and the rear wheel moves into it's travel much easier especially on square ledges. It's a much smoother ride and less jittery. So far I like the way this shock feels much better than the Monarch. I think the Monarch would probably be fine for lighter riders but in my case not so much. The tune on the Monarch just wasn't right for me I even tried the standard air can to see if that would help but it was actually worse that way, still needing too much air to get proper sag and giving a harsh ride. This is the second bike that I have put a Mcleod on and both times it's been a winner. So if you're considering one of these shocks I'd say go for it.
That sounds like a winner.

How much pressure were you running on the Monarch for your weight? I'm 180lbs running 235-240psi to achieve 25-30% sag. I did get mine tuned by Avalanche and that made it feel much better off the top, but I did take out all the spacers, pos and neg, compared to what Avalanche recommended.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
That sounds like a winner.

How much pressure were you running on the Monarch for your weight? I'm 180lbs running 235-240psi to achieve 25-30% sag. I did get mine tuned by Avalanche and that made it feel much better off the top, but I did take out all the spacers, pos and neg, compared to what Avalanche recommended.
330psi for 235# weight.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
What makes the Mcleod allow you to run such a low pressure compared to the Monarch? I don't know much about the shock or its design. Air volume (pos/neg), damper???
I don't really know or ever thought about it. If I had to guess I would suspect the IFP charge may be higher than the Monarch. It could also just be the way the shim stack functions. When I swapped the RP23 on my RIP9 it was the same thing, I was able to run lower pressure while getting more support.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Installed McLeod 190x50 on my Following V1. Awesome! Much better than Avalanche tuned Monarch. The rear feels planted, controlled, and smooth. Shock aired to 155 PSI to achieve ~30% sag.

With Fox 36 set at 140mm, -1 angle set, in High position, HA is 67. Don't know exactly what the rear travel is, but it's definitely >120mm. Full compression without any air in the shock, rear wheel does not contact seat tube. In fact, it's same as stock Monarch without air. I might bump the fork travel up to 150mm and change to Low position to get back to 66 HA that I had previously with 140/120 setup.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Installed McLeod 190x50 on my Following V1. Awesome! Much better than Avalanche tuned Monarch. The rear feels planted, controlled, and smooth. Shock aired to 155 PSI to achieve ~30% sag.

With Fox 36 set at 140mm, -1 angle set, in High position, HA is 67. Don't know exactly what the rear travel is, but it's definitely >120mm. Full compression without any air in the shock, rear wheel does not contact seat tube. In fact, it's same as stock Monarch without air. I might bump the fork travel up to 150mm and change to Low position to get back to 66 HA that I had previously with 140/120 setup.
I tried the shock at 190x50 on my Following V1. I measured the travel at 150mm. It doesn't contact the seat post but it will contact the seat when it's fully dropped. I didn't like the way the bike felt with the extra travel. It seemed to wallow a bit too much which for the terrain I ride is not a good thing. I like it much better reduced to 184x44.

3181 - 3200 of 3240 Posts