Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
21 - 40 of 317 Posts

·
Registered
6,067 Posts
Same here. I really like this frame. I'm typically a solid medium no matter that frame manufacturer I go with. The Pole has a really long reach. My medium Banshee has a reach of 430mm and I use a 50mm stem. That has me spot on. With these super long reach bikes...even with the STA...more often than not...you'll see the saddle slammed forward on its rails. I wonder if I would go down one size?

If I ever get over my Banshee...the Evolink 130 would be high on my list.

·
Ride Fast Take Chances :)
3,329 Posts
Same here. I really like this frame. I'm typically a solid medium no matter that frame manufacturer I go with. The Pole has a really long reach. My medium Banshee has a reach of 430mm and I use a 50mm stem. That has me spot on. With these super long reach bikes...even with the STA...more often than not...you'll see the saddle slammed forward on its rails. I wonder if I would go down one size?

If I ever get over my Banshee...the Evolink 130 would be high on my list.
The seating position on this bike is much more forward then a normal bike. This shortens the effective seat tube length. You should go with your normal size otherwise you are not getting the benefit of the new geometry. The whole idea is to try something new, not match what you are on now. Love it or hate it, at least try it as the designers intended.

·
Orange Bikes USA Dealer
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
To be honest, I think the frame shipped was around $2k +/- due to the currency conversion. There were no other fees involved.

I read on Pink bike that someone who is 5'10" was riding a large.

At 5' 9", it seems like the Medium with a 50mm stem is going to fit me just fine, but I won't know until Wednesday evening. Eyeballing the fit, it does not look like I will be stretched out at all.

I intend to ride it either Wed, or Thursday.

All in weight is around 27lbs. As shown, it's a bit heavier (look closely and you can see the post, seat, and chain), but I have a different post, saddle and much lighter pedals I will be using than what is shown hanging off this bike.

With different grips and brakes, it could be in the 26 lb range which is probably where I will eventually go over time.

As my Knolly Endorphin was at 27 lbs, I feel this is a great weight for what will be my trail bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
569 Posts
Very curious/interested in these super long bikes. Nice weight too, considering the frame/shock weight.

For comparison my medium Canfield Riot frame with shock, axle and headset is also 4.1kg. my finished build was 31lb with dropper, Pike and mostly mostly carbon everything else.

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
I just don't get this new geometry where the saddle is almost right above the BB, in a position similar to what a TT or Triathlete would be in. I run my saddle "X" distance behind the BB, that doesn't change, no matter the bike I'm on, it means I'm either moving the saddle for aft on the rails on a straight post or setback depending on the STA. On this bike, I'd have to have my saddle slammed all the way back on the rails, on a setback post to get even remotely close to where I run my saddle. I don't just endure climbs for the descents or only do rides that are basically all climbing to then descendind, I enjoy pedaling my bike all over the place, up, down, rolling, flat and that stupid STA just does not work when that is how/what you ride.

·
Orange Bikes USA Dealer
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Well, it seems that everyone who rides this bike loves the STA and that it climbs just fine. Maybe if you tried something different, you may like it.

Because I buy about 4-5 bikes a year (and then sell them), if it climbs like **** tomorrow, I'll let everyone know. I'm not emotionally invested in any bike that I have bought except for my Norco Revolver which is the best bike I have ever ridden. I will never sell that bike.

And, because I will be comparing it to the 21.5 lb Revolver, which climbs very well, we will have an direct comparison - of sorts based on some Strava times for my local trail.

If there is no traffic tomorrow I will time it, and give you the results. Granted, I'm sure this bike will be slower, possibly due to the weight, but let's see by how much. If it's five minutes slower over 14 miles then maybe it's not all that. But 1-3 minutes with nice climbing ability - I'll take that.

I have a feeling I will be pleasantly surprised.

·
WTF is downcountry?
708 Posts
About 80% of what he said made no sense to me, the reason why he had the saddle slammed all the way forward, whaaa? It honestly sounds like he is making it all up just to rationalize the crazy geometry.

The part where we only ride "rubbish" trails here in the US so we only ride rubbish bikes??? It's comical really. It's like a mutant where they are taking what works for DH and what works for XC and sticking them together on one bike.

**edit- the slammed saddle part was from the review of the Pole not the article on Chris Porter. Wheelbase absolutely matters as far as how the bike feels and handles, when someone says they can't feel the long wheelbase in tight sections of trail I immediately stop listening

·
Registered
529 Posts
FWIW- Guerilla Gravity has similar reach and slightly higher stack numbers and very steep STA (similar to Pole and Mojo) and is made in USA.
The largest diff I see is the chainstay length (aside from the rear link setup) slightly steeper HTA.
I have an XL GG Trail Pistol ordered now.

·
Orange Bikes USA Dealer
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
FWIW- Guerilla Gravity has similar reach and slightly higher stack numbers and very steep STA (similar to Pole and Mojo) and is made in USA.
The largest diff I see is the chainstay length (aside from the rear link setup) slightly steeper HTA.
I have an XL GG Trail Pistol ordered now.
Essentially the size large GG Megatrail is the size medium Pole. Give or take.

Seems like they are similar weight as well.

Good find.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Please don't forget to take it on some pedally trails, where you are in the saddle constantly pedaling, undulating and flat and don't just putz along like the modern trend, put some good effort into it, really hammer, don't just pedal to get the descents as your reward. Will be very interested to hear how a ride like that feels on a bike that basically puts you in a position to have much less power available because of your position.

Well, it seems that everyone who rides this bike loves the STA and that it climbs just fine. Maybe if you tried something different, you may like it.

Because I buy about 4-5 bikes a year (and then sell them), if it climbs like **** tomorrow, I'll let everyone know. I'm not emotionally invested in any bike that I have bought except for my Norco Revolver which is the best bike I have ever ridden. I will never sell that bike............I have a feeling I will be pleasantly surprised.

·
Formerly of Kent
12,524 Posts
About 80% of what he said made no sense to me, the reason why he had the saddle slammed all the way forward, whaaa? It honestly sounds like he is making it all up just to rationalize the crazy geometry.

The part where we only ride "rubbish" trails here in the US so we only ride rubbish bikes??? It's comical really. It's like a mutant where they are taking what works for DH and what works for XC and sticking them together on one bike.

**edit- the slammed saddle part was from the review of the Pole not the article on Chris Porter. Wheelbase absolutely matters as far as how the bike feels and handles, when someone says they can't feel the long wheelbase in tight sections of trail I immediately stop listening
Yeah, some of the statements he makes are just laughable.

·
Orange Bikes USA Dealer
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Please don't forget to take it on some pedally trails, where you are in the saddle constantly pedaling, undulating and flat and don't just putz along like the modern trend, put some good effort into it, really hammer, don't just pedal to get the descents as your reward. Will be very interested to hear how a ride like that feels on a bike that basically puts you in a position to have much less power available because of your position.
Lynx, do you read?

You quoted 1/2 of what I said.

I said the trail was 14 miles and I was going to time it - pending no one is in the way, and compare it to my time on the Norco.

·
WTF is downcountry?
708 Posts
Lynx, do you read?

I said the trail was 14 miles and I was going to time it - pending no one is in the way, and compare it to my time on the Norco.
There's a reason why your Norco revolver is your fav bike :)

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Yeah, but I like to make sure I read correct and try to encourage the test :D Seriously, looking forward to someone who isn't just an adrenaline junky who climbs as slow as molasses on a cold day and doesn't care how long it takes to get to the top and never pedals anything rolling or flat, just once they get to bomb the down :skep:

Lynx, do you read?

·
Orange Bikes USA Dealer
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Yeah, but I like to make sure I read correct and try to encourage the test :D Seriously, looking forward to someone who isn't just an adrenaline junky who climbs as slow as molasses on a cold day and doesn't care how long it takes to get to the top and never pedals anything rolling or flat, just once they get to bomb the down :skep:
Well, there is really nothing to bomb on this trail. It's mostly flat, with short steep climbs. Probably 4-5 difficult climbs at most. The rest will come down to pedal efficiency.

So when ridden with the Norco, I'm not taking my leisurely time. My best time is here is under 56 minutes. If the Pole can do it under 1 hour I'll be impressed.

·
Orange Bikes USA Dealer
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
21 - 40 of 317 Posts