Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, after a recent bout with a bad infection in the, *ahem*, nether regions, *ahem* stemming from a ton of activity in the summer heat without proper attire, I have determined that I need to start wearing compression shorts most every day to avoid chafing and infection in the future.

I always wear shorts w/ a chamois when I am doing any kind of ride over 5 miles, but I like to ride my bike often for quick little trips instead of driving. I also do a good bit of hiking with my lady friend (1-2x a week), play golf regularly (2x a month), and play disc golf (at least 3x a week). I also sweat like hell anytime I am active (not overweight, just a sweater). One big issue for me is that I often ride to lunch from work, and/or to a local disc golf course to play rounds during my lunch break. This is not conducive to changing into my chamois shorts in the least….. Sso I am looking for a wicking compression short that I can wear daily to work that is comfortable for 8-10 hours and will prevent chafing.

Can anyone suggest a well-fitting compression short (w/o chamois) that is both comfortable to wear all day, yet won’t be astronomically expensive to buy 3-5 pairs of?

Thanks in advance for any input!

·
Registered
312 Posts
I don't wear compression shorts while cycling but do wear them during long-distance trail runs. Mine are made by Under Armour and I pay about $25 for them at Acadamy Sports. Not sure you will find top quality compression shorts for a lot less than that.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Plenty of synthetic, compression style underwear out there. UA, Nike, etc...

don't sit around in sweaty gear... that's always bad news

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't wear compression shorts while cycling but do wear them during long-distance trail runs. Mine are made by Under Armour and I pay about $25 for them at Acadamy Sports. Not sure you will find top quality compression shorts for a lot less than that.

There is a UA outlet near my work... I may have to drop by and see if I can find a good price.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
don't sit around in sweaty gear... that's always bad news
I usually take precautions to ensure I do not. My issue with the infection began with a bar-hop ride that was interrupted by down pour, in 90 degree weather. 9 hours, 50+ miles riding, lots of standing around drinking, and sopping wet the entire time, The next day I played a round of golf in 90+ heat and it just torched my groin area as I was in pants and cotton boxer briefs. I thought it was the start of some mild chafing, which I'm sure most of us have dealt with, but it was an infection and took off quickly after that . I feel that if I had some proper wicking compression shorts on while golfing I never would have gotten the infection (or it certainly wouldn't have exploded like it did).

So do any of you guys have experience wearing these types of shorts as underwear on an All-day basis?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I use Under Armour compression shorts occasionally. They are worth checking out. I use them on short rides, usually less than 20 miles.

·
gran jefe
2,692 Posts
That surprises me? Is it the tight fit, or just the fabric not wicking well enough to keep things dry?
I was pretty amazed myself. I have tested it several times. Both are extended leg briefs and fit the same. I think maybe the synthetic has slightly lower wicking ability, but i guess I thought synthetic would wick better.

·
Registered
312 Posts
So do any of you guys have experience wearing these types of shorts as underwear on an All-day basis?[/QUOTE]

I do a week-long hunt for sharptail grouse and Hungarian partridge in Montana
each year and we walk many miles each day from sunup to sundown. I begin each day with a clean pair of of UA compression shorts. I find them to be quite comfortable all day long for the entire week. But the only way you will know how they feel to you, is to go buy a pair and wear them all day.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So do any of you guys have experience wearing these types of shorts as underwear on an All-day basis?
I do a week-long hunt for sharptail grouse and Hungarian partridge in Montana
each year and we walk many miles each day from sunup to sundown. I begin each day with a clean pair of of UA compression shorts. I find them to be quite comfortable all day long for the entire week. But the only way you will know how they feel to you, is to go buy a pair and wear them all day.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the input from experience, that is good to hear. I figure there is no reason they would be any worse than wearing my bike shorts all day, which I do all the time.

·
All Fun Rider
218 Posts
I've got one particular pair of underarmour compression underwear that I try to always wear when mountain biking. I tried to find more online, as the newer blue/red boxed ones didn't feel great to me. Of course, they're discontinued.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I had a similar problem back in my army days running 100 miles a week(give or take a couple). Under Armor boxer shorts for me nowadays. The dont completely replace my cotton boxers, but if im going to be active and sweat they do.

They make a few different styles of thickness, and cut. Also some with vents front to back in the hot regions, which are my favorite and dry fast.

I walked around the sporting goods store looking at all the brands. UA, Nike, etc. They are all basicly the same. Pick your logo and color scheme.:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts