Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every winter, my brakes lose power. And they start squealing like they are contaminated. When I look at the back of the pad, there is a wet ring. Looks like brake fluid. But no matter how many times I rebuild my avid juicy carbons, every winter it seems like they leak again. Could it be because I'm using castrol gt lma fluid? It is not 5.1, it is dot 3/4. The brakes will be fine all summer, but when it starts to get cold (20 degrees Fahrenheit) they seem to leak.

What should I do about this?

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
Cold temperature could result in the seals becoming less pliable. Or the different materials (caliper vs piston vs seal) could undergo contraction (and expansion while heated during braking) at different rates. This could cause the leak. As it warms up, the rubber may become more pliable again, the leak may remedy itself.

Are you riding them on the road? Salt on the road could explain the loss of power.

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
Bikeeveryday said:
Every winter, my brakes lose power. And they start squealing like they are contaminated. When I look at the back of the pad, there is a wet ring. Looks like brake fluid. But no matter how many times I rebuild my avid juicy carbons, every winter it seems like they leak again. Could it be because I'm using castrol gt lma fluid? It is not 5.1, it is dot 3/4. The brakes will be fine all summer, but when it starts to get cold (20 degrees Fahrenheit) they seem to leak.

What should I do about this?
Yup brakes will leak a bit in the cold 20F is pretty warm for this to happen though....

My XTR's can get way down -20 C before that may or may not happen....

First thing that happens is the fluid contracts, so the reservior gets low, then a little bit of air can get in the brake...

Then I will always get some snow, salt or muck on the rotors....

Then I will pull really hard on the lever to get them to stop...

Bingo I get a leak again only if it is really cold...

If on the other hand I fill the reservior, when it is a little cold and right full...the problem tends to be solved....

Don't know squat about your brakes though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.