Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I just replaced the seals on my Manitou Magnum Expert fork. Is there any post ride maintenance I can do to keep it running smoothly for longer periods of time? I have been cleaning the fork tubes prior to every ride. Today I wiped the tubes with fork oil, compressed fork a few times then wiped as much as possible off. Any help appreciated.
Thanks, MikeB

·
Registered
6,094 Posts
First, make sure the bath oil is set according to the directions and if possible, use the knew seals that forgo the oil seal. I also use Prep-M grease on the inside of the seals which helps. For day to day stuff, invert the bike and wipe off any dirt and grime around the seals (I invert to make sure stuff falls down and does not get pushed into the seals). That should be all you need to do.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Manitou has a one piece oilseal, dust seal. I didn't know that is what I was getting until it got here. They are marketed as low friction, pre packed with slickoleum?? if I remember. I do like the upside down idea, thanks.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Brush off the dirt, if any, on the stanchions.

Brush off any dirt particles on the seals. A tooth brush works well (not recommended to use the toothbrush of those people whom you like). Ask me how I know.
Enjoy your ride.

As for inverting -isn't that like a sin or something. People get all bent out of shape about flipping the bike over which "allows air into the brake system". haha kidding, it won't happen. But yeah, people have firm beliefs about not inverting. If you are that meticulous with your fork stanchions, you too may believe the inverted bike and air in brakes thingy.

·
Registered
9,488 Posts
Brush off the dirt, if any, on the stanchions.

Brush off any dirt particles on the seals. A tooth brush works well (not recommended to use the toothbrush of those people whom you like). Ask me how I know.
Enjoy your ride.

As for inverting -isn't that like a sin or something. People get all bent out of shape about flipping the bike over which "allows air into the brake system". haha kidding, it won't happen. But yeah, people have firm beliefs about not inverting. If you are that meticulous with your fork stanchions, you too may believe the inverted bike and air in brakes thingy.
Inverting the fork allows oil to "bath" the oil seals which is a good thing. Never understood the inverted brake issue as I have left bikes upside down for days w/o issue.

To each there own but I am not going to spend time tooth brushing seals if anything you are scrubbing abrasive dirt onto the seals / stanchions.

·
Registered
10,053 Posts
The foam rings and seals get soaked from capillary/pumping action of using the fork.

Want truly butter smooth performance? Maintain your fork oil often. No seals or anything, but change the oil. If a service makes a big difference in feel, you went way too long!

It takes 10 cents in oil, and 10 minutes. You can do this monthly if you're really riding a lot. Nothing works better or even close.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
The foam rings and seals get soaked from capillary/pumping action of using the fork...
Not in my experience. I've serviced a good number of forks on frequently ridden bikes that had sufficient bath oil but bone dry rings. I find it convenient to store my bikes hanging from their front wheels, which has the benefit of allowing bath oil to run up and saturate the foam rings and lube the bushings. Servicing bikes stored like this, the rings are still saturated even if the fork is long overdue for service.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
The foam rings and seals get soaked from capillary/pumping action of using the fork.

Want truly butter smooth performance? Maintain your fork oil often. No seals or anything, but change the oil. If a service makes a big difference in feel, you went way too long!

It takes 10 cents in oil, and 10 minutes. You can do this monthly if you're really riding a lot. Nothing works better or even close.
Completely agree! Ive even taking it one step further and got an injector that'll allow me to squeeze slick honey betwee the seal and the stanchion without completely taking the lowers off. Combined that with what you suggested and all my fork misses is some slick honey on the o-rings in my air spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.