Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys and gals, just wondering how often you guys wash your gloves. I've had mine for 3 years and haven't washed them yet. Kind of a good luck thing I guess. They smell like used hockey gear and I use them as kleenex while riding, but just toss them aside after my ride. :skep:

·
drunken pirate
1,414 Posts
I wash mine whenever I wash the rest of my cycling gear. That translates to being washed every two rides or so. Washing them does not make them wear out any faster it just keeps them clean.

Tip: make sure you close the velcro before washing. I damaged an expensive pair of shorts when the open velcro caught on a seam while in the washer :mad:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Wash em

I wash mine when they begin to get stinky. I do wash them on delicate cycles and add some vinegar...really, it helps kill the odors while keeping the dyes in the leather from fading.

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
I wash mine rarely. not never, but rarely.

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
driftwood said:
I wash mine whenever I wash the rest of my cycling gear. That translates to being washed every two rides or so. Washing them does not make them wear out any faster it just keeps them clean.

Tip: make sure you close the velcro before washing. I damaged an expensive pair of shorts when the open velcro caught on a seam while in the washer :mad:
Good tip on the velcro. :thumbsup:

I tend to wash mine every couple of rides as well. It's pretty essential if I think I may have contacted poison oak on my ride.

·
Registered
382 Posts
i wash them about every 7 rides because i dont like when they get stiff from sweat.

i also wash all new gear before i use it. most things come really starchy and irritate my skin a little bit until i wash them.

·
Save the Squirrels
85 Posts
Yuck

Remind me never to shake hands with any of you people until you take your gloves off and wash your hands.:D

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
my previous pair of gloves (Fox Static) fell apart when i washed them. i wore them for like a year or more before i washed them so maybe thats why they fell apart, i guess the sweat, dirt, and snot were holding them together. putting them in the dryer also probably didnt help. so if you do wash your gloves use the gentle cycle and only wash for a short amount of time, and let air dry.

·
Registered
382 Posts
i always use gentle cycle and low temp drying.

ive never had a pair fall apart from washing them. i bet yours died from abuse and the grime was playing the role of adhesive. ive washed my old Fox Sidewinders at least 12 times and they still have every stitch intact. the new ones i washed today look perfect too.

·
Master of None
1,462 Posts
Umm, I didn't use to wash my gloves until last year. I got some kind of weird fungus growing on my hands and I traced it to my gloves. I started washing my gloves and eventually it went away.

I now wash them pretty much every ride!

·
Registered
624 Posts
Jordan47 said:
Hey guys and gals, just wondering how often you guys wash your gloves. I've had mine for 3 years and haven't washed them yet. Kind of a good luck thing I guess. They smell like used hockey gear and I use them as kleenex while riding, but just toss them aside after my ride. :skep:
3 years! You've got to be kidding. By now you've got to have a serious case of "athlete's hand."

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I find it easiest to just fall in streams.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I guess I must be the weirdo cause I wash them after every ride. I tend to sweat a lot when I ride and my gloves really stink after each ride. I just throw then in the washer and dryer along with my other clothes. They tend to fall apart after one year, but who cares they only cost like $20.

·
ravingbikefiend
2,322 Posts
I hand wash my gloves on a regular basis and let them air dry... my current pair is going into their third season, are holding up well, and don't stink.

·
Just Joshin' ya!
1,980 Posts
I wash my gloves in the gentle cycle and the line dry them about every 5 rides. If you forgot to wash your gloves and notice they are stinky, you can spray them with a little rubbing alcohol. This kill the stench and the bacteria on there and usually dries in a few minutes.

By the way, the best mountain biking gloves I have ever owned are not mountain biking gloves. They are made by mechanix wear and are used by professional auto racing teams. They are incredibly durable, have a nice tackiness and grip to them, protect well, and breath well

Attachments

·
fnar fnar brrraaaaap
2,162 Posts
Jordan47 said:
In the summer.. after every ride. In the winter.. when they start to smell.

Not washing them is just plain wrong :D

·
I can't weld
547 Posts
I'm another every ride washer. I've never had a pair of gloves fall apart.

Washing them will extend their life, just don't put them in the dryer. Line dry like all your other bike gear. The only material that does well in the dryer is cotton, and nobody uses cotton riding gear. It doesn't breath and it retains odors.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts