Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
Yeah.. they are a good brand... Bikes are german design..made in Asia I think... a couple of my buddies have had some Cubes and no problems... they are very easy to find here in Germany..

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Interesting Next Generation 4-bar

jtcastillo said:
I only saw them in the German Press, where they got very high marks in the 4-5" all-mountain category (won a couple of comparos, with the Liteville). It is a next generation, for lack of better word, 4 bar-linkage (note the horst-type rear, combined with a chainstay-mounted linkage activated shock)

Attachments

·
Registered
412 Posts
Davide said:
I only saw them in the German Press, where they got very high marks in the 4-5" all-mountain category (won a couple of comparos, with the Liteville). It is a next generation, for lack of better word, 4 bar-linkage (note the horst-type rear, combined with a chainstay-mounted linkage activated shock)
Seems that everybike made in Europe uses the chainstay pivot. Another highly acclaimed manufacturer is:

http://www.canyon.com/mountainbikes/index.html?b=41

They only sell direct, so are able to offer sick builds for cheap. If I didn't have enough bikes already, I would be tempted to pick up one of these. :D

·
Ami Schwein
304 Posts
sus13 said:
I don't think they can sell them in the US, since they use a true 4 bar suspension and Specialized holds the patent there. I've read quite about them from BIKE magazine from Germany, and they have always received excellent reviews.
BIKE's reviews are a joke. Every German bike company gets great reviews, especially Canyon....hmmm and just about every issue comes with a nice glossy Canyon bikes catalog...:skep:

·
Registered
412 Posts
k-stein said:
BIKE's reviews are a joke. Every German bike company gets great reviews, especially Canyon....hmmm and just about every issue comes with a nice glossy Canyon bikes catalog...:skep:
Could be that the German made bikes are good... they don't seem to make it too far outside of Europe (or Germany for that matter), so really hard to know. Even MBUK seldomly mentions anything about them.

To BIKE magazine's credit they gave high ratings to Specialized and Kona bikes in the past. They seem to have a scientific approach to reviewing bikes... white lab coats, testing equipment, etc. It is interseting to see the differences betwen manufacturer and BIKE magazine tested specs on weight, travel, etc.

btw, since Canyon only sells direct I would expect them to pay more on advertising. :p

·
Ami Schwein
304 Posts
sus13 said:
Could be that the German made bikes are good... they don't seem to make it too far outside of Europe (or Germany for that matter), so really hard to know. Even MBUK seldomly mentions anything about them.

To BIKE magazine's credit they gave high ratings to Specialized and Kona bikes in the past. They seem to have a scientific approach to reviewing bikes... white lab coats, testing equipment, etc. It is interseting to see the differences betwen manufacturer and BIKE magazine tested specs on weight, travel, etc.

btw, since Canyon only sells direct I would expect them to pay more on advertising. :p
There's many good German Manufacturers no doubt. All you need to do is flip through the pages though and you can see who's going ot be on top(or at least very positively reveiwed)..."Kauf Tip" usw. the sponsors of course. Just my view on things. Its not about "who made what", its a sponsorship biased thang.

Oh and to the OP my brother in law rides a 04 Cube XC PRO and he seems to be happy with it.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Sort of unethical, but I suppose ít happens... or a coincidence that the bikes are good and the manfufacturer just happens to advertise.

Anyway, nice to have an offering of 4-bar bikes without them all being offered by Specialized. Don't get me wrong, I like my SX Trail... but I hate having my options limited.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I'm from Austria, so I'm pretty familiar with the bikes from our neighbours. They're decent bikes but nothing special really. Actually they are very common due to the low(ish) price, so ppl who like individual, rare bikes keep their hands off of them. Funny that these very bikes would be 'alien bikes' in the US...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi.

In europe are very popular CUBE, FOCUS, CANYON, GHOST, WHEELER

For us in EU are pretty cheaper like bikes from USA, Canada

I do not heard critics about german bikes, except for Wheeler. My friend broke two frames.
Another friend broke one frame. But they use for hard ride and jumps.

But i like bikes from USA and Canada: Trek, Cannondale, Specialized, Kona, GF,...

Here are links:

www.cube-bikes.de
www.ghost-bikes.com
www.focus-bikes.de
www.canyon.com/_en
www.wheelerworldwide.com

·
Registered
356 Posts
iv beeb looking at the 'stereo' and the 'frittz', bn told they had hav bad reviews on the stereo?? my mate got a xc cube, his looks the bollocks .... but r u jst payin 4 a really nice paint job?

·
Registered
461 Posts
Davide said:
That shock is going to get caked in crap VERY quickly!!!!

·
lidless ascender
812 Posts
I've tested the Fritzz for a short while and have been very impressed.First of all, the bike is PLUSH.Even at slow speeds.I actually thought there was something wrong with the fork (Lyrik 2-Step) on the first climb because I was getting feedback from the terrain from under the front wheel and nothing from under the back one.Well, it turned out the fork was fine, it was just the rear that was so sensitive.
In a perfect world I'd prefer a more progressive curve towards the end of the travel for park riding though.I managed to use up all the travel on 2 ft jumps.Didn't try anything bigger but I'd probably bottom the suspension on bigger jumps.This could probably be fixed with a more adjustable shock (DHX Air, Evolver,...).The bike actually had a Swinger x4 in previous years that probably fared better in such situations.
The bike seems a bit high on first look but it's ok once you sit on it and ride it.I'd have to take it on some really techy terrain to see if performance suffers in low speed situations but it behaved nicely in moderately tehnical/tight section.The reason behind this might also be its light weight (32 lbs) and the resulting flickable nature.It's stable at speed, and likes to jump despite the plushness.I really like the idea of a Maxle on both ends, too.
You might have problems with sizing if you have long legs though.The seat angle is very slack and it might put long legged riders' weight too far back for climbing steeps with max efficiency.
All in all, it's a really fun bike.Not perfect but damn near it.For my type of riding (a do it all bike that'd handle everything from epics to playing it rough in the parks) I'd prefer a more progressive last part of the travel, a degree slacker head angle and a slightly lower bb.Ok, and a more aggressive set of tires for park riding.

Marko

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.