Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
will rant for food
3,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For sake of conversation beyond "Why?!"

Trying to think of how to make this happen. Wondering if anyone has seen prior work.

·
Old school BMXer
2,695 Posts
Walt said:
Just get the Forward components EBB and run a standard 68 or 73 shell with the ISCG mount on it.

-Walt
If I recall correctly, the Forward Components EBB only works on 68 mm shells.

Instead of ISCG, I'd just use a BB mount guide on the EBB. Heck, the guide may give you a good lever to tighten the chain.

Although here's where the "why" question comes in. If you're using an EBB, presumably the bike is a singlespeed - what's the reason for the chain guide?

·
will rant for food
3,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not a chain guide so much as aiming for a dinglespeed, by way of a Hammerschmidt.

...which looks more complicated, upon second look. The BB axle and HS mount plate must move as a unit.

Wanted to see if tension could be achieved without having to rotate the HS plate upon doing so. Looks hard.

·
will rant for food
3,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Speaking of, buddy of mine was suggesting shoulder bolts and a slide plate instead of standard ISCG, but after dealing with the paths of the bolts, if at all possible, there's still the issue of asymmetry.

·
Premium Member
7,491 Posts
Eh?

For a dingle, you need 2 front chainrings. I am pretty sure you can't put 2 rings on a Hammerschmidt.

Am I missing something? If you just want 2 speeds, just use something that tensions the chain at the dropout end and run your Hammerschmidt with a standard mount/bb shell.

-Walt

Drew Diller said:
Not a chain guide so much as aiming for a dinglespeed, by way of a Hammerschmidt.

...which looks more complicated, upon second look. The BB axle and HS mount plate must move as a unit.

Wanted to see if tension could be achieved without having to rotate the HS plate upon doing so. Looks hard.

·
will rant for food
3,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Walt: HS is a two speed internal gear, but, yeah, was just looking to avoid a tensioner if possible.

Blaster1200: I'd stumbled on that -- I am skeptical of the sensation of efficiency loss, maybe I am not that perceptive a rider. I ride a NuVinci N360 and those NuVinci hubs are supposedly draggy as hell. I can't tell.

·
Registered
788 Posts
FWIW I have read that the Hammerschmidt is NOT compatible with BB mounted ISCG adaptors as they are not capable of handing the torque the transmission creates. No 1st hand experience with this, but I thought it worth mentioning.

I am currently trying to wrap my head around whether or not this same torque might have an effect on an EBB (assuming ISCG tabs integrated into EBB shell). Anybody smarter than me care to chime in?

Also @ Clockwork: Trick set up! However I don't think that would be HS-able as I'm pretty sure the mechanism requires the CG tabs to remain concentric with the BB.

·
will rant for food
3,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Right on.

So, you may be wondering, why ride such a gimped bike?

I have what I think are legit reasons, to me. I ride in the snow. This is my first year with a fat bike riding in snow for purposes other than just commuting (in other words, a perverse form of fun).

The modes of travel are one of the following:

A) Just Riding Along at usually 10 mph, maybe 15 mph going downhill.
B) Deep, untouched snow, granny gear.
C) On foot.

So, I like my NuVinci hub, it's snazzy. In the summer. I don't mind the weight so much as the location of the weight. Pushing and especially carrying an imbalanced bike is not so fun. I also found myself making very coarse shifts - from low to high and back - and wondered "Why don't I just ride a two speed? That's what I'm doing here."

1 - 13 of 13 Posts