Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate when you see a bike for sale, the perfect bike, great price but it's too damn small. This '12 looks like it's never been ridden and it's only four bills but it's a 16 inch frame. I'm 5'10". I have a bike that has almost the same measurements but the ST is one inch longer at 17. Even the TT is the same, I did swap to a longer 100mm stem. And I do run my saddles a little lower than average. So I keep staring at this bike telling myself I can get it to fit, and I can but man it looks so tiny.

Someone talk me into it. Looks like it never touched dirt. From the saddle rail down I would have about 10.5in/265mm of seatpost exposed.

·
Registered
12,904 Posts
You will regret it, I guarantee.

You can "make it fit" by stretching out the cockpit and saddle position, but that will definitely throw off the handling. That's like buying a pair of shoes that are two sizes too small and cutting open the toe box so your piggies can stick out.

·
Up In Smoke
Dirt Roadë
3,281 Posts
Ever try a pair of shoes that were too small? They probably weren't too comfortable and cause pain. A bike is no different.

Edit: Dang mack, you edited your post while I was posting. Good point, I like the way you think. ;)

·
powered by peanut butter.
879 Posts
FWIW, I'm 5'6'', and I'd pass on that bike because it's too small for me.

The ETT is like 570mm... that's pretty dang tiny. My previous bike was a S El Mariachi with an ETT of 585, and it still felt too small for me with a 90mm stem.

·
Always in the wrong gear
3,330 Posts
Gonna add to the dogpile.

Hard pass on that. Its a sweet deal, but you'd regret it I think, *especially* because it'll be singlespeed.

I'm of the opinion that SS bikes need to be longer than if geared because of the increased amount of 'body english' used when mashing.

My 5'5" wife's bike is a 16" Spec Fuze, so obviously I've ridden it. I'm 5'9" and it feels way too small for me. It does have a 60mm stem and a 0-setback post, but it's pretty easy to feel that stretching the stem and saddle apart to make it fit me would put the pedals way to far forward when seated, and my weight right up over the front axle when standing.

Not confidence inspiring.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, dammit, I know it's too small but I was hoping you guys would talk me into it :lol:

If it wasn't a four hour round trip I would just check it out in person.

·
Registered
827 Posts
If it were closer I'd take a look. I rode a 2012 size large (don't remember the # size at this point) Unit and am also 5'10 and though it was a bit too big. IIRC it had a 80mm stem and felt stretched out.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I hate when you see a bike for sale, the perfect bike, great price but it's too damn small. This '12 looks like it's never been ridden and it's only four bills but it's a 16 inch frame. I'm 5'10". I have a bike that has almost the same measurements but the ST is one inch longer at 17. Even the TT is the same, I did swap to a longer 100mm stem. And I do run my saddles a little lower than average. So I keep staring at this bike telling myself I can get it to fit, and I can but man it looks so tiny.

Someone talk me into it. Looks like it never touched dirt. From the saddle rail down I would have about 10.5in/265mm of seatpost exposed.
That's called "almost perfect"

But I agree, that bike is entirely too small for that tree trunk.

·
the beat goes on
284 Posts
still has the reflectors too!

at 5.10 you should be on a M or L. i've tried to do that - make a small frame fit with offset seatpost and longer stem. i made it fit but when i look at it - i say "durn that looks small - wish i had a bigger frame". wheels on that bike arent that great - brakes are bb7s it looks like (not bad but there are better).

i think you could make it fit if - as you say - the numbers are similar except for the seat tube.

BUT - are you feeling lucky?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.