Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a Giant Glory this last season in Whistler, and rode it about 3 weeks (it was great). Now, back in SoCal, on the occasions I get to a trail where I can let this monster go (and which require much more peddling than in Whistler:), I keep smacking my knee into the top of the fork/crown tubes on the Fox 40.

The clearance is roughly 2" from knee to tube (when seated & the bars are straight). This is my first Dh specific bike, so I was just curious if other people have such tight cockpits on their DH rigs? I'm 6'2" and I tried the next size up on the Glory before I bought the Large, but its wheelbase was 2" longer and was just too darn huge!

Thanks,

·
Equal opportunity meanie
2,781 Posts
2" from your knees to the bars/fork uppers in the seated position is waaaay too small. That's the size of a DJ bike. My rule of thumb is about the length of your hand from fingertip to heel. I'm 6'-6'1-ish and the 46.5" wheelbase on my DH bike feels perfect. Anything more than a 1/2"-1" shorter on the wheelbase feels really twitchy.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
DHidiot said:
2" from your knees to the bars/fork uppers in the seated position is waaaay too small. That's the size of a DJ bike. My rule of thumb is about the length of your hand from fingertip to heel. I'm 6'-6'1-ish and the 46.5" wheelbase on my DH bike feels perfect. Anything more than a 1/2"-1" shorter on the wheelbase feels really twitchy.

I'm 6'2" and mine is the M/L at 16.5, but when I sat and rode the 17.7 It felt like a chopper....lol. Think I should go XL? Thats really big.

Sorry but I only have my wide angle lens, so the pictures REALLY exaggerate the effect & I have on baggy pants (I mean its a big bike with a 45" wheelbase) but its only 2" from knee to fork.

·
Equal opportunity meanie
2,781 Posts
proxy said:

I'm 6'2" and mine is the M/L at 16.5, but when I sat and rode the 17.7 It felt like a chopper....lol. Think I should go XL? Thats really big.

Sorry but I only have my wide angle lens, so the pictures REALLY exaggerate the effect & I have on baggy pants (I mean its a big bike with a 45" wheelbase) but its only 2" from knee to fork.
WTF size stem are you running? Your bars look like they're about a foot in front of your steerer/fork legs. If you're running a 50-60mm stem you should be hitting your knees on the bars as well as the fork legs with that setup. You def. need a large. Try one with the right size stem and the seat right between your knees when you're standing up with the cranks level and you'll be set.

·
Fort Valley = Gnarl Fest
603 Posts
I hit my knees from time to time on the top of my stantions, when I first got my bike. Then I changed my style of cranking while I was standing. Now I look really goofy but it works, you just gota stick your but out and wear knee pads. That was the fix for me. Good luck

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
DHidiot

That IS the Large :(

Saddles all the way back. Its a 70 mm Diabolus Stem which I put on because the 30 mm felt to cramped (I was mostly riding ladders & tight trails (well for me anyway) like Smoke and Mirrors, Devils Club, Angry Pirate, Schleyer and etc.), so I wanted to be a tad forward.

Thanks for all the input! Once I got to Whistler (and discovered the bike I brought was inadequate for that place) there wasn't allot of time to shop around, it was XL or L (I chose L).

So you think XL then with 30 MM?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
DelTaco said:
Are you hitting on the actual crown?
Im nicking the top of the fork/shock (where you see the bright blue adjustment knob), if I slightly turn the bars while seated of sprinting (wagging side to side).

·
Sugary Exoskeleton
4,657 Posts
You probably have the same problem I do... I am only 6' tall, but most of that is legs. I need a pretty short cockpit to fit my torso, but then my knees come close to the bars. I bought an Ironhorse 7point7 in Large so I would have leg room, but then I couldn't get any weight on the front of the bike and it rode badly. I ditched it and bought a Medium, I am much happier even though my knees are close.

Wear kneepads?

JMH

·
Oh, So Interesting!
5,877 Posts
Thats a pretty short tt at 22.3" (for your size) but the XL jumps up to 25.4", which is huge for a dh bike... this frame might not be the one for you?

I hit my knees on my last frame occasionally, it was a little bit too small for me... if youre not wearing pads its painful. My new bike has a bit over an inch more tt, feels much better so far.

·
Banned
2,004 Posts
man, you're a pretty big guy. you really need an XL for sure, the longer TT and a direct mount/very short stem will make the entire cockpit shift rearwards and make the bike steer how it is supposed too

you don't even have room to wear a set of pads that way.

I tried everything to make a bike with a TT too short fit, from a super long stem to moving the rails mack on the seat...which only RUINS the rails...sigh. all it ends up doing is making the bike more expensive, and seriously hampering you ability to actualy ride better

·
Registered
548 Posts
I'm 6'1", and I used to hit my knees on the fork and bars all the time, but somehow, I've essentially stopped entirely...

Just give it some time and see what happens.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
davec113 said:
Thats a pretty short tt at 22.3" (for your size) but the XL jumps up to 25.4", which is huge for a dh bike... this frame might not be the one for you?

I hit my knees on my last frame occasionally, it was a little bit too small for me... if youre not wearing pads its painful. My new bike has a bit over an inch more tt, feels much better so far.
First I really appreciate the input from everyone:D

I am unfortunately coming to your conclusion Davec, that the Glory may not be the right frame for me. I think the Cdale Judge might work better as its TT (in size L) is 24.2" with a seat tube @ 17.3 and a wheelbase of 46.6 [which rolls in at an inch+ less on the TT than the XL Glory (my only other choice in Giants sizing), but unfortunately, still has that monstrous wheel base (well its .1" smaller).

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.