Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Prez NMBA
719 Posts
I would seriously check out the route, from what Ive heard its mostly jeep road stuff. I would personally suggest just taking the 5 days in moab/grand junction and ride the most excellent single track on your own and stay in a hotel or camp on your own. for the price of a guide book or two and some time on the internet, you can put together a sweet set of rides.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
I'm doing a similar trip in the same area with Western Spirit tours. It in the same price range. I did another tour with Western Spirit in Mexico and felt it was well worth the cost. You could probably do all the same stuff on your own if you had a buddy who knew the area well, but it's nice to have someone handle all the details and to have great meals prepared for you every day. You really only need to think about riding.

·
Thread Pollution
1,734 Posts
nmba guy said:
I would seriously check out the route, from what Ive heard its mostly jeep road stuff. I would personally suggest just taking the 5 days in moab/grand junction and ride the most excellent single track on your own and stay in a hotel or camp on your own. for the price of a guide book or two and some time on the internet, you can put together a sweet set of rides.
Yep,. alot of two track.
Not knowing your skill level makes it hard . So... if your experienced do what nmba guy suggests, if your a newbie and totally codependent take a guided tour and if you fall in between the 2 categories you've already read too much of this blah blah blah

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
makachut said:
Yep,. alot of two track.
Not knowing your skill level makes it hard . So... if your experienced do what nmba guy suggests, if your a newbie and totally codependent take a guided tour and if you fall in between the 2 categories you've already read too much of this blah blah blah
Im a good sport racer and I do long rides on the road bike once in a while.

http://bikerpelli.com/ at $400 and 3 days over 143 miles seems much better. Yet, you really think the terrain will be boring? Check out the pics.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
It all really depends on what kind of ride you're looking for in the first place and how unique the area is in your experience. I've done a 3-day ride of the White Rim near Moab with a group of guys with our own support vehicle. While the scenery was awesome, it wasn't all that unique to general Moab area riding and the riding itself was mediocre; we're mostly singletrack seekers OTOH. I've had several friends do the Kokopelli thing that weren't very impressed, mostly due to the lack of singletrack or challenging riding, the scenery was a saving grace for some. YMMV.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bikinfoolferlife said:
It all really depends on what kind of ride you're looking for in the first place and how unique the area is in your experience. I've done a 3-day ride of the White Rim near Moab with a group of guys with our own support vehicle. While the scenery was awesome, it wasn't all that unique to general Moab area riding and the riding itself was mediocre; we're mostly singletrack seekers OTOH. I've had several friends do the Kokopelli thing that weren't very impressed, mostly due to the lack of singletrack or challenging riding, the scenery was a saving grace for some. YMMV.
So, your saying that 3 days of Moab is mediocre and Kokopelli is borring too? Why leave home?

·
Prez NMBA
719 Posts
not to put words in Bikinfoolferlife, but thats not what he said. THE Kokopelli trail loops near fruita/grand junction are awsome single track with amazing views, but thats just a really sweet loop system. The ride you are talking about goes from there, mostly on double track to Moab area. He was comparing that double track to the White Rim tour (NEAR Moab) he took, which is a similar situation, most old dirt road with pretty amazing views but not much in the way of single track. Moab itself has some great single track/slickrock riding as well as some pretty cool techinical jeep trails to ride. All with amazing views.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Killroy, like nmba guy said, you're putting words in my mouth. If you're willing to pay for a guided tour of dirt roads with good scenery and have someone tote your camp gear, either the Fruita to Moab or the White Rim rides with support from a tour company like Rim Tours or Western Spirit or whatever would be great. However, it's easy to camp or motel it on your own in both the Fruita/GJ and Moab areas and find plenty of good singletrack with a map in hand with plenty of views to keep you and your camera happy for 5 days and save some money to boot. YMMV.

Have fun either way and enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think I will do a combination of both. I will show up to the start of the tour early, do some day loops, by myself. Then go on a 3 day or so point to point suported tour.

I would like to do the self guided tour, but I do not have any riding budies at my level to go with.

Anyone MTBR peeps in NorCal want to go on a Adventure???

·
Thread Pollution
1,734 Posts
Bikinfoolferlife said:
However, it's easy to camp or motel it on your own in both the Fruita/GJ and Moab areas and find plenty of good singletrack with a map in hand with plenty of views to keep you and your camera happy for 5 days and save some money to boot.

Have fun either way and enjoy the ride!
That's the gospel.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Killroy said:
I think I will do a combination of both. I will show up to the start of the tour early, do some day loops, by myself. Then go on a 3 day or so point to point suported tour.

I would like to do the self guided tour, but I do not have any riding budies at my level to go with.

Anyone MTBR peeps in NorCal want to go on a Adventure???
So what you really want is company? Personally I enjoy exploring new stuff on my own. There's usually plenty of riders around both areas to casually hook up with for rides.

·
Shattering Glass
705 Posts
I've done kokopelli trail twice with bikerpelli.com and I'd have to say it's one of the best trails I have done in my life. There is lot's of parralelling single track/primitive trail to be had if you know how to read those Lattitude maps. Over 16,000 feet of climbing, plenty of technical oppotunities, lot's of downhill, beautiful singletrack, wildflowers and wildlife abound, huge canyon rims, aspen forests, cacti, rock formations.etc.. last year I logged over 180 mile in three days and about 18,500 feet of climbing because of some alt routes we took. Bikerpelli is a great way to go because logistically they have it down perfectly, mechanical assitance, it's budget minded, great food in sag and camp, campfires, Three kegs of locally brewed beer(colorado) and the crew just makes everyones experience to die for. Good luck signing up for it though; it's a hot commodity these days. The first trip sold out in less than an hour and the second in a few more (like a hot concert) which is only testament to what a great experience it is. Check out the web site and click on the forums to hear about other peoples experience's on this trip. It's a no brainer. I'm in on the first trip again and if this weather would go away I can actually get on my bike for some training!
Enjoy

·
another bozo on the bus
1,244 Posts
might i suggest the san juan hut trip? 1 week and 215 from durango to moab. true, alot of this ride is jeep road, there is plenty of single track if you are feeling advetureous enough to stray from the que sheet including a sweet section of the CT. food, water and sleeping bags at each hut. sanjuanhuts.com i think. iposted a thread in the colorado western slope forum a couple months back if you are interested in doing some research.

·
Cycling, FTW!!
478 Posts
washedup said:
might i suggest the san juan hut trip? 1 week and 215 from durango to moab. true, alot of this ride is jeep road, there is plenty of single track if you are feeling advetureous enough to stray from the que sheet including a sweet section of the CT. food, water and sleeping bags at each hut. sanjuanhuts.com i think. iposted a thread in the colorado western slope forum a couple months back if you are interested in doing some research.
Yeah! http://sanjuanhuts.com does a few guided trips. You would be treated to afternoon hail storms instead of 100 degree temps like on the Kokopelli trail.
If you have never been to southern Colorado then you have to come see the San Juans, they are breathtaking (literally).

G

·

I did a 5 day Guided trip to Moab in 1999.

Pluses, all I had to do was eat & ride, they cooked & provided the route & maps.
Did White Rim, Slickrock, Gemini Arches, hiked to Delicate Arch.

Minuses, our group was rather mixed...some avid XC guys,
some roadies doing a dirt vacation as a Hoot
a few people that just showed up not knowing what they were in for.
NY gal did an endo right in front of me on a 30mph jeep road down hill section! :eek:

If you've never been to Moab, I'd take a tour...you can always go back for more.

The Number 1 Big Plus for me:
they provided a sweeper that found my lost arse out in the middle of nowhere
looking at my map trying to find out where I'd made a wrong turn :madman:
I missed lunch that day & spent 2 hrs sitting on a red rock :rolleyes:

My 2nd trip to Moab was unsupported ( and no I didnt get lost this time)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.