Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always been surprised that nobody I know has ever been hassled by the police because their hitch mounted bike rack obscured the license plate on their vehicle.

My wife and I both have Thule T2 rack on our vehicles and they pretty much block the view of the plate on both cars when folded up (not carrying bikes) We also know lots of other riders with similar racks and none of them have ever been pulled over for this seeming infraction.

Maybe I'm mistaken, but isn't it a problem if your plate is not visible to Johnny law?

·
Registered
26 Posts
i have a trunk rack anf the way i do the straps it blocks the plate and the other day my gf got stopped for it. but in this little town the cops gpot nothing better to do than stop ppl for little things.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Not yet, and on one car I drilled a one inch hole through the center of the rear license plate to connect the rack to where the rear towing eye can screw in. So even without a bike on the rack I worry about getting busted (or at least questioned).

·
turtles make me hot
11,574 Posts
I've never received a ticket and I always have the T2 on my truck, either folded up without bikes or with a bike or two. I know for a fact when I was down in Florida once, it prevented me from getting a photo ticket for accidentally taking a Sunpass lane getting off the Florida Turnpike.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Knock on wood, but I have never had an issue with my Thule T2. My good friend is a CHP officer, and he says its because people with high end bike racks tend to not be "bad guys". Now he also says if they pull you over and you are going to get tagged with something else they will most likely add the plate obstruction on to the charges, especially if they receive any attitude. Now if they suspect you of DUI they will use the rack as an excuse to pull you over, but generally speaking it is no problem.

·
Registered
43 Posts
......nobody going to make a joke about not being ticketed because of their rack?

I asked an officier this week about bike racks when he stopped me to inspect my boat/trailer. He said its become an issue but bigger problem is the bikes & rack obscuring brake lights.

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
Cop let me off because of my huge rack!

......nobody going to make a joke about not being ticketed because of their rack?

I asked an officier this week about bike racks when he stopped me to inspect my boat/trailer. He said its become an issue but bigger problem is the bikes & rack obscuring brake lights.
How's that? Happy?

The punchline is that I'm a dude. :eek: :D :thumbsup:

:drumroll: :band: :cornut: :rockon:

Good to know about obscuring brake lights. My rack definitely obscures my brake lights... at least partially. I have a bud who made a magnetic stick on light set for his T2 that plugs in the trailer light plug.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Sitting at a traffic light and the cop pulls up behind me. Light turns green and whoop whoop goes the siren. I pull over on the other side of the intersection. The cop said I would receive a ticket for obstructing the plate if I didn't take the rack off. Ok rack comes off, not too big a deal right? Wrong. I went to stash it on the side of the road figuring I would come back for it later and he informs me that would be a $2000 littering ticket. Unfortunately I had my wife and kids in the car so I couldn't tell him to F off and couldn't accept a ticket like that. There was no room in the back because we had just finished school shopping and the hatch was full so in the pouring rain I had to open the roof and have my wife hold the rack as we drove away.

Dic khead proceeded to follow me to the state line where, ten feet over the line, I stoppped and put the rack back on. F'n Danbury CT PD can go to hell!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sitting at a traffic light and the cop pulls up behind me. Light turns green and whoop whoop goes the siren. I pull over on the other side of the intersection. The cop said I would receive a ticket for obstructing the plate if I didn't take the rack off. Ok rack comes off, not too big a deal right? Wrong. I went to stash it on the side of the road figuring I would come back for it later and he informs me that would be a $2000 littering ticket. Unfortunately I had my wife and kids in the car so I couldn't tell him to F off and couldn't accept a ticket like that. There was no room in the back because we had just finished school shopping and the hatch was full so in the pouring rain I had to open the roof and have my wife hold the rack as we drove away.

Dic khead proceeded to follow me to the state line where, ten feet over the line, I stoppped and put the rack back on. F'n Danbury CT PD can go to hell!
Was it a Danbury PD or CT State PD?

·
Registered
635 Posts
Should only be a secondary offense at best. I've gone for months with my bike rack on the back, both in CA and in WA.... never had a second glance.

If you have a T2 like I do (or similar rack), then keep a red colored rag in the vehicle with you. If you get popped for obstructed plate, then fold the rack back down flat and tie the red flag on the end of it and be on your way. Even the Maybury City Barney Fife couldn't complain about that.

·
Professional Slacker
3,271 Posts
Got pulled over by Texas highway patrol for my T2 rack with bike, gave me a warning...as if there was something I could do about it while road tripping in an Impreza with luggage inside the car. :rolleyes:

In Europe, there are strict rules (and expensive but simple solutions) about that sort of thing, here in the US we don't. [rationalizing] With so many people who run around with plates under windows, and no plates at all, you'd think the cops would have better things to worry about. [/rationalizing] How about just using some consistency?

Course, I was going nine mph over the limit with out of state tags, so it was probably 100% my fault.

·
"2 Wycked"
986 Posts
I drive with my hitch mount on my truck all the time, I never take it off. I've never been pulled over or harrassed for it so I don't know for sure but I would think that if you did get a ticket for it that it would be easy to fight in court. You are using it for its intended purpose and consistant with the racks installation/use directions.

·
"2 Wycked"
986 Posts
Or if your really concerned about it you could write you tag info on a piece of paper then laminate it and attach it to the last bike somehow.

·
Retired User
854 Posts
...I would think that if you did get a ticket for it that it would be easy to fight in court. You are using it for its intended purpose and consistant with the racks installation/use directions.
Me thinks that state motor vehicle laws trump manufacturer's product data. Further, the Thule T2 specifically has a disclaimer in the product manual that reads, "Check local and state laws governing projection of objects beyond the perimeter of a vehicle."

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.