Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
crashes in parkinglot
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Went for a shake down ride on my wife's bike. It used to be mine as a rigid SS, now its hers as a 2x9 with my first favorite fork (I still remember my first ride on that fork). Its also the first time I've ridden in clipless pedals(mtb) in over 2 years. I was really conserned riding it as my bikes are so different (sc chameleon with a 5" fork 2.5" front tire and 2.35" rear beefy wheels, platform pedals etc.) So i figured i'd head up to some of the more mellow rides around here, and also hit some stuff that handles the wet weather we are finaly having.

Her bike (she calls it Goldy) is more of a weight conscious bike than I've ever had it, there are a couple of parts that could totaly weight weenie it out, but the rotational weight is pretty good. Thats why the rear tire was up at 60psi, didn't want any flats and didn't want to dent a new rim, worked well in that regard, but stuck to wet rocks like magnets sticking to glass.

1) feel like a road biker with 60psi in a 1.8 rear tire.
2) Goldy before she got all dirty.
3) through the looking glass.

Attachments

·
crashes in parkinglot
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
when I was in the parking lot getting ready the rain was very light "walk between the drops" as I got further from the car the heaver it got. I didn't see a person on the trail today. I always ride through the puddles like a good person and thankfully the trails i choose are mostly sand and rock. The one thing i really missed about my bike was the disc brakes, after riding through pudles and hearing the sand paper grind through the rims i will say every bike of mine will have disc brakes.

1) on the other side of the looking glass
2) some flowers that actually might make it through July now.
3) water

Attachments

·
contains quinine
4,639 Posts
My initial plan was to head up there, but instead bailed to Hall, which was super duper.

I've got a bass boat blue version of that bike, that's never really fit me. I'd should get rid of it, but I can't seem to do it.

·
Cleavage Of The Tetons
6,394 Posts
well, considering the new parts I bolted onto her Titus this week, I should be...
custom, handbuilt DT 240/mavic 3.1 DB/alloy nip wheelset
XT dual control hydro brake/shifter set
Carbon riser bar
XT rear derailleur
Schwalbe tires
ODI lock on grips
Marzocchi Marathon ecc fork
Salsa skewers...

but she still ain't got poop on my rides!!
(her bike IS 2 lbs lighter, though...)

·
old skool newbie
857 Posts
Oh yes, the sound and feel of rim brakes in the wet. Its about as great of sound as the dentist's drill. It makes me cringe just thinking about it.

I am not going to complain at all about the huge amount of rain we've had here in CO, but I did think Debaser was talking about getting out his blue bass boat for the trails.

·
contains quinine
4,639 Posts
goldenboy said:
Oh yes, the sound and feel of rim brakes in the wet. Its about as great of sound as the dentist's drill. It makes me cringe just thinking about it.

I am not going to complain at all about the huge amount of rain we've had here in CO, but I did think Debaser was talking about getting out his blue bass boat for the trails.
Oh so right about the sound of rim brakes in the muck!

Reminds me of a story where I was telling someone about my Schwinn and that someone turned to my dad and said something along the lines of, "Have you seen that color? It's just like the color on the boats at Bass Pro Shops!"

And yeah, coulda used a boat this weekend. After 15 mintues out I was soaked top down and bottom up. No need to avoid puddles.

·
crashes in parkinglot
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Those old schwinns are hard to get rid of, there are a couple of small chips/dents in the down tube paint (don't remember where they came from). I really like them cause you can fit a pretty large tire i think i had some 2.5" in there at one point and for a race frame from more than 6 years back; I think that pretty impressive.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts