Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a GT DHI TEAM and even with the MRP chain guide the chain comes off the front chain ring when the suspension is in full load. The local bike shop, who are really good. adjusted the tension on the rear derailer and said it was the problem . Now I don't doubt them but I asked if the chain needs replacing and they said no. The teeth on the front chainring are not bent or worn down and the rear derailer is not bent all the teeth are fine . Now my question is. " Is this adjustment a sign of a stretched chain or a is it some other problem that is not yet surfaced enough to show itself. ie; bent rear trianle, or something along that line?" Please help and I am only in my second year in MTB, so there is allot I don't know yet and want to learn about how to fix them.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Assuming your lbs analyzed it correctly it just sounds like the tension in your rear derailleur was too low...they did solve the problem, yes? The derailleur's spring tension wouldn't have anything to do with your chain, or frame, maybe something to do with your MRP...some derailleurs have a way to increase spring tension if needed, sounds like yours needed it and got it.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Usually the simplest reason is the most likely and in your case it probably would have been chain tension as well as the position of the rollers on your MRP. If there is enough of a gap it is possible for your chain to still come loose. Did they check that out?
Seems to me that it probably would be a good idea to see if your chain device is setup right as well. Ever since i have had my Blackspire i haven't one problem with dropped chains.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.