Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Cassoulet forever !
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.tribesportgroup.com/telechargement/newsletter/20100106/index.html

Is this good or bad ?

Tribe is a pretty big group, they import recognisable brands from the US (Yeti, Rocky mountain, fox suspension...). They have a reputation for selling high end parts, because they charge kind of a lot for it.

So this will not be very good for the spreading of the 29" movement. On the over hand, they have strongs connexion with one paper mag, and a good visibility. They already published a very good review on line of some niner bikes (like they do for most of the stuff they sell). This is a big departure from the mostly anti-29" position before ! We will see if this was really a choice of the heart, or just jumping on an emerging market.
Anyway, i think it's a pretty good choice for Niner, because if tribe does what it does best, they will get publicity and a high end brand position. May be so they will be able to match the success they get in Italy !

For us rider lambda, there will always have other option to get a frame, for example directly from the us, or from the benelux...

·
Cassoulet forever !
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sean salach said:
Heheh, of course France would be one of the first to 'surrender' to the 29er movement!:thumbsup:
I don't know if we should say surrender, or rather "embrasse" :)

I think that italy may be a bit ahead of the other country in Europe.

France mathers because it is the second biggest market after Deutchland.There is a strong ridding culture here (and hoppefully not only tour de France drug followers).

Is there a Niner importator in Duetchland ? I don't think so.

·
2,818 Posts
20.100 FR said:
I don't know if we should say surrender, or rather "embrasse" :)

I think that italy may be a bit ahead of the other country in Europe.

France mathers because it is the second biggest market after Deutchland.There is a strong ridding culture here (and hoppefully not only tour de France drug followers).

Is there a Niner importator in Duetchland ? I don't think so.
Hi Vincent,

Europe is growing very very fast in regards to 29er sales. We do have a distributor - http://www.revolutionsports.eu/de/niner/index.htm

The biggest news comes from Germany which will help all of Europe and 29er growth. Many thanks to Konstantin for pushing this through:

http://revolutionsports.eu/blog/201...ei-mountain-bike-rennen-offiziell-zugelassen/

If you can't read German - "We have just received the confirmation that the German bicycling association will change our national rules and that the use of 29er mountain bikes will be officially allowed from now on in all mountain bike races like in UCI events worldwide. " This is HUGE for Germany and will accelerate growth in big ways moving forward. German are very traditional and slow to adopt new technology - *but* - once they try it the adoption rate is VERY fast. A good example of this is with shaped skiis. All it took was one ride and people were sold. I see Germany embracing 29ers the same way.

Aside from Germany, Niner Distribution is growing very fast throughout Europe so start seeing a lot more 29ers this next year :)

We would like to announce we have a new Spanish Distributor as well - TopFun http://www.topfunbiking.com/

Brett
Niner Bikes

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
2melow said:
Hi Vincent,

Europe is growing very very fast in regards to 29er sales. We do have a distributor - http://www.revolutionsports.eu/de/niner/index.htm

The biggest news comes from Germany which will help all of Europe and 29er growth. Many thanks to Konstantin for pushing this through:

http://revolutionsports.eu/blog/201...ei-mountain-bike-rennen-offiziell-zugelassen/

If you can't read German - "We have just received the confirmation that the German bicycling association will change our national rules and that the use of 29er mountain bikes will be officially allowed from now on in all mountain bike races like in UCI events worldwide. " This is HUGE for Germany and will accelerate growth in big ways moving forward. German are very traditional and slow to adopt new technology - *but* - once they try it the adoption rate is VERY fast. A good example of this is with shaped skiis. All it took was one ride and people were sold. I see Germany embracing 29ers the same way.
That's great news. Now maybe Schwalbe can get on the bus by releasing some of their better race and other treads in the 29"er size.;)

BB

·
Cassoulet forever !
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Brett,

Yes very good news from germany !

There was also another test this month in the BIKE magazine in think. Not sure if there was a Niner included.

I saw the german news on facebook, that's really good !

In france, the big competitions organized by the french association follow the UCI rules, and so are open to 29ers.

But there is another association, wich organise races for the less competitive racers , and wich is pretty popular because it is more friendly. This association (UFOLEP) do not accept29"ers...

I pushed one of my friends to try a 29". He is a high level racer, fininishing 3rd at the freinch marathon chanpionships last year. He seems to like it and plan to test it during races.
By the way, he is very small, ridding a size S !! We will see how it turn out.

I hope he wins a ufolep competition, so that i can put an official reclamation against him, to make a buzz and change the reglementation about 29er for the ufolep federation :)

2melow said:
Hi Vincent,

http://revolutionsports.eu/blog/2010/01/18/ab-diesem-jahr-werden-29er-bikes-bei-mountain-bike-rennen-offiziell-zugelassen/

Aside from Germany, Niner Distribution is growing very fast throughout Europe so start seeing a lot more 29ers this next year :)

We would like to announce we have a new Spanish Distributor as well - TopFun http://www.topfunbiking.com/

Brett
Niner Bikes

·
Scooterist
1,211 Posts
Noways distributer has also got Schwalbe and Fox.

They say that even with the market in the usa, schwalbe just hasn`t sold anywhere near the same volume as they do with non 29`er tyres. Thats also why they havn`t touched studded tyres for 29`ers....

·
Registered
821 Posts
BruceBrown said:
That's great news. Now maybe Schwalbe can get on the bus by releasing some of their better race and other treads in the 29"er size.;)

BB
Not to mention Continental!

Speed King and Race King in 29", supersonic casing and black chili compound would have mad grip and low weight.

·
Registered
105 Posts
You guys seem to think Europe is living in some sort of 'dark-age' because we haven't adopted Jesus Hoops™ yet.

The fact is it's a chicken and egg situation; until medals are won at World/National level on 29ers, most proper racers just don't care. Yes there are plenty of mid-pack racers on them in Europe, but they're more or less riding 29ers because they're new, cool, hip, and niche. If you're over, say, 6'2", riding a 29er makes a lot of sense, otherwise it's just fashion.

Maybe once the U.S gets it's head out of it's backside, and stops worrying about "I'm not riding the right size of wheel, man", it's athletes will see the podium at international events again.

·
bike tester
1,281 Posts
You guys seem to think Europe is living in some sort of 'dark-age'
And rightly so, when you say **** like this:

If you're over, say, 6'2", riding a 29er makes a lot of sense, otherwise it's just fashion.
You just proved the thing you were trying to disprove...This is 2005 mentality right here. In a young sport such as mtb, it really is a dark age away.

·
Registered
105 Posts
syl3 said:
You just proved the thing you were trying to disprove...This is 2005 mentality right here. In a young sport such as mtb, it really is a dark age away.
I think you'll find I was saying that 29ers are a great solution for taller riders, for everyone else it's impractical. I love seeing 5'6" folks riding around on what looks like their dad's bike.

Different sized children have different sized wheels, so why shouldn't adults? You wouldn't put a 5yo child on a 10yo child's bike would you?

·
Registered
406 Posts
dougal.s said:
I think you'll find I was saying that 29ers are a great solution for taller riders, for everyone else it's impractical. I love seeing 5'6" folks riding around on what looks like their dad's bike.

Different sized children have different sized wheels, so why shouldn't adults? You wouldn't put a 5yo child on a 10yo child's bike would you?
It can't be compared. :nono:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Drea said:
It can't be compared. :nono:
Why can't it be compared?

The 29er crowd need to do be better than IT'S BETTER, without any other reasons. Without telling or showing why it's better, people aren't going to buy them, and importers aren't going to make the effort.

So come on, convince me I must have a 29er...

·
bike tester
1,281 Posts
dougal.s said:
Heather Irminger is 5'4", Willow Koerber is 5'2". Their 29ers didn't seem impractical when they won the us national title and the bronze medal at the world championships.

It's clear this debate is way over your head... please stop embarassing yourself.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Bronze at WC? I'll respect that. I can't help feeling that her wheel size a sponsors decision, rather than her own, seeing as GF are pushing 29ers in a big way.

The debate is far from being over my head, but sermon won't win me over, good arguments and evidence will.

Will Absalon ride an Alma 29er this year? I'm going to go with no, and it'll be because he thinks he's faster on his 26er.

·
bike tester
1,281 Posts
dougal.s said:
Will Absalon ride an Alma 29er this year? I'm going to go with no, and it'll be because he thinks he's faster on his 26er.
Great example of arguments and evidence there buddy. Speculating on what pros are thinking, that is compelling stuff.

When results are achieved on a 29er, it's because gary fisher is pushing 29ers down sponsored riders' throats. But when absalon doesn not ride the alma 29er, somehow it's because the 26er is faster, not because the 29er isn't even sold in europe.

Most pros don't get much choice in their bikes, either because of sponsors or because they don't have the time or the inclination for experiments once they reach a certain level of success.

If there was a pro that would be relevant to this debate, it would be Lance. He could choose between Fishers and Treks and most of the time when he raced offroad he actually tested both on the course and more often than not went with the superfly

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.