Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All
I`ve just read the rearviewmirror post When will Europe see the light? and Ihave some thought about Old World and 29er.
I live on the right side of Big Water (Central Europe) and this is a fact that 29ers are still rather rare in here... When I ride on my bike I still catch the stare of other bikers who look at my bike and whant to ask:
"hey what is wrong with your stuff"?

So this is my idea. For all of those who live in Europe, ride Big Wheels and are users of MTBR.

GET UNCOVER
Show us who you are and what bike you have.
Lets start the FIRST EUROPEAN SHOW US THREAD.
Show our brothers from US that we are here and we are growing strong.

So I start.
My name is Peter. I live in Warsaw in Poland.For now I ride something build on GF Paragon frame (my custom build SS steal frame is going to see the light really soon).

Attachments

·
bike tester
1,281 Posts
I endorse this product or service :D Great thread idea.

I'm Alex from Romania and i've got the big wheel bug for 2 years now. Started with a Stevens hybrid, onto which i managed to fit 29x2.1 motoraptors after a few adventures (scraped the paint off the inside of the chainstays, so i had to cut off the side knobs on the rear tire).

Here it is in the original form, with a magnificent 6 pound coil Suntour fork with 2.5 inches of travel:

(you can prolly tell which one is the big wheel bike)

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
20.100 FR said:
And my GF 293
Great stable of bikes (and of course, I can relate to owning a KM, a Dos and a Sugar);)

I don't live in Europe any more, but I got a pair of those Mavic Speed City wheels in 2003 for my Trek 8000 when I lived in Austria and that quickly led to the end of my 26" days.

A question about your poplock lever on your Sugar's bars. Have you tried the more "normal" position for that on your bars? I know I went though a few glasses of wine and posts on MTBR until I finally got the thing mounted in the right location for ease of use.

BB

·
Cassoulet forever !
2,261 Posts
BruceBrown said:
Great stable of bikes (and of course, I can relate to owning a KM, a Dos and a Sugar);)

I don't live in Europe any more, but I got a pair of those Mavic Speed City wheels in 2003 for my Trek 8000 when I lived in Austria and that quickly led to the end of my 26" days.

A question about your poplock lever on your Sugar's bars. Have you tried the more "normal" position for that on your bars? I know I went though a few glasses of wine and posts on MTBR until I finally got the thing mounted in the right location for ease of use.

BB
Thanks Bruce :)
Things have evloved a bit since the pictures.
I've got a manitou minute on the 293, wich has given it a more nervous handling. I have a set of 20mm c29ssmax that would be nice on this frame, with a new reba with uturn air. But i may get a new full susp frame to replace this one (who comes from Austria, by the way !)

So the old reba is now on the DosNiner in 80mm mode. Man this is one GREAT frame to go fast. The poplock thing was installed in the same way. I use xtr shifters very on the inside of the bar (like my brake levers, to be able to brake from the index at the end of the lever), so there is no room to put it in another place. By the way the lock out doesn't really lock the fork, so i was planning to remove it completely...

The rotor ring is really great for singlespeeding. I love it ! It prevents you for getting stopped at the dead spot, when you are turning the cranks really slow uphill. I haven't seen anybad effect on high rpms. I use it without a chain tensionner, because the chain is under tension at the very moment you pull on it the harder. Never had a slip.
I'm having a new whellset buid for the km, around an alfine. I plan to keep the rotor ring.

·
President
14 Posts
I live in a swamp in Bavaria.
As we neither have tarred roads nor gravel roads in Bavaria, fenders are absolutely necesssary!

Cruising on the main road (1):

Cruising on the main road (2):

In summer, when the snow falls, I usually use my 69er:

·
Registered
5 Posts
My custom 29er:

Handmade *Julie Racing Design* Colombus Gara frame + Paragon dropouts
Salsa Cromoto Grande fork (thx to alternativebicycles.fr) +Chris King headset
Thomson Elite stem+ On-One Mary bar + Oury grips
Avid Ultimate levers + Avid BB7 brakes + Avid Flak Jacket cable set + 185/160mm rotors
Salsa Delgado Disc rims + DT comp spokes+ White Industries ENO hubs + Salsa QR
Kenda Nevegal 2.20 + Kenda Karma 2.20 + Michelin C4 Latex
WTB Laser V Stealth + Thomson Elite seatpost + Salsa LipLock
Middleburn UNO 32t crankset + BB-UN73 115mm + KMC Z710 SL + White Industries 19t freewheel
11,0 kg
Personal artwork + *Julie Racing Design* paintwork

More pics here.

EDIT: The framebuilder's blog is here.

·
Registered
85 Posts
XL Ellsworth EVOLVE

XL EVOLVE, with parts coming from my XL GF293 (still have the frame actually).
with 195 mm custom cranks from hscycle :thumbsup: .
I also recently made the REBA coil conversion with the u-turn revelation kit :thumbsup: .

Attachments

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.