Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Incidentally, the DiscoVolante has an Audi Pearl White paint job on it. Just stunning. If you don't know this color from Audi, it was an extraordinarily expensive paintjob that went back to the 80's, and was a $500 option, which they canned due to the many extra processes needed to make it look right. Again, no details, as no one was interested in speaking to me. Unfortunately, this was the mode at several manufacturers. People either didn't want to get involved, or wouldn't peel themselves away from text messaging for a minute.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Uncle Cliffy said:
I gotta say; I pish-poshed the idea of Karpiel's return, but WOW! Guess I was wrong...

Very nice looking indeed.
why, their old bikes looked pretty cool too, they just weren't heat treated, you couldn't get support, there were some fishy things to say the least about getting bikes to shops and money. It was the business that crashed last time more then the bikes.

Its like going out of your way to buy a laher.

·
Living Ghetto Fabulous!
3,748 Posts
William42 said:
why, their old bikes looked pretty cool too, they just weren't heat treated, you couldn't get support, there were some fishy things to say the least about getting bikes to shops and money. It was the business that crashed last time more then the bikes.

Its like going out of your way to buy a laher.
Exactly... That's why I was sceptical. A riding friend of mine used to build shocks for Risse Racing and dealt with Karpiel on a lot of their bikes. I also used to ride with a sponsored racer who had an old Disco. (I've heard all the storys.:skep: )

Looking at these frames it seems Jan's figured out a few things. Specificly; not using a 2.25 stroke shock to get 9 inches of travel. I really like the looks of the Disco frame. The evidence is in the photos that they're at least moving forward and not using the old designs. It's only a bike show; but they're sure to have a lot of interest in these designs. (Maybe not the Appocolypse, but that Disco... :thumbsup: )

I say: Here's to second chances! Good luck Jan.

·
Equal opportunity meanie
2,781 Posts
Those new Discos are exactly what I would have done to revise and polish up the old versions. Looking very very nice. I'd like to see some geometry numbers and a plot of what the axle path/leverage curves are now (looks like that lower link angle is a lot less extreme than it used to be - less retarded pedal kickback?).

The only thing that's sketchy is having to skim down welds to face the headtube, and the headtube gussets have kinda an oldschool look to them..

·
Registered
22 Posts
Jerk_Chicken said:
Incidentally, the DiscoVolante has an Audi Pearl White paint job on it. If you don't know this color from Audi, it was an extraordinarily expensive paintjob that went back to the 80's, and was a $500 option.../QUOTE]

For poseurs.

·
SILENCE! I KILL YOU!
1,253 Posts
Still looks like friggin tanks to me, but the Polish champs use the Disco V.

Would these lure Bender out of retirement?

·
Banned
161 Posts
William42 said:
It was the business that crashed last time more then the bikes.

Unless Bender was riding that day, then the bikes crashed way more!

Either way stoked to see Karpiel back...

·
Single(Pivot)and Happy
1,778 Posts
Hesh to Steel said:
So there's going to be an '09 Apocalypse?
As I was walking into a liquor store two days ago, a truck pulled in with an Apocalypse on the back. I asked the guy if it was his, he said it was his sons', and that his son was sponsored by Karpiel. He said it was the new model, and that he was suprised that I had heard of Karpiel. He also said they had just got back from Whistler, a two week trip, and his son destroyed two 888's, and the one on the bike was the third one in two weeks!

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Boulder Pilot said:
As I was walking into a liquor store two days ago, a truck pulled in with an Apocalypse on the back. I asked the guy if it was his, he said it was his sons', and that his son was sponsored by Karpiel. He said it was the new model, and that he was suprised that I had heard of Karpiel. He also said they had just got back from Whistler, a two week trip, and his son destroyed two 888's, and the one on the bike was the third one in two weeks!
The kid is absolutely ridiculous. I've seen some of his videos and will be surprised if he lives to make 21.

He's 14 and is doing Bender sized drops and gaps.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts