Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on racing SS at the Fat Tire Festival in Eureka Springs, AR this coming Sunday 15th. Just wondering if anyone out there has raced this and what was your experience. Looks to be a lot of fun. Thanks.

·
Banned
4,348 Posts
Man, you have got to be a masochist to do that. I rode there last year. Not in the race but on the race course and it can be extremely steep. I was on a Titus Mot-lite and it handled it alot better than I did. If I'm not mistaken the race starts in the city itself on an extremely steep paved street. But I will say that it was some of the best riding that I have ever done. I also have a 29er SS and I would not ride it on some of those trails. Maybe I'm just a big wuss but those hills kicked my a$$. But damn it was fun. I will go back.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am with you on how hard some of the hills are. I am sure/positive that I will be running/pushing on a few if not several of them. I have ridden all but one of the trails and they are really tough, but a lot of fun. I seem to get stronger as I go throughout a ride, so I think that I'll be alright. Anyways thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Great experince no matter what your on. Imagine - all things mtb for 3 days... 2nd 1/2 of course is different depending upon category. All have the start from town, (pavement and gravel), with two places for SS difficulties; the short climb before the Crescent Hotel and the single track after Harmon Park - you will then spin out on the road to the Park entrance. Once you descend into Leatherwood Park there will be a few short steep climbs, then downhill or single track rollers and gravel road. Sport & Expert get additional climbing up to the North side and then the switchbacks, (7 of em), and a few other steep sections - descending to the lake level with mostly roller but rough trail going around the lake.
Best thing to do is to try to hit one of the pre-rides and adjust your gearing accordingly. With the diversity of the course you will either be walking the steep or spinning out on the rollers / flats. If you are in the beginner or citizen category, most may be walking the steep anyway - geared or SS.

·
Switchback Prince
816 Posts
a little late posting here. I can't wait for this race. be so much fun. I will be beginner class and my 9speed bike only has one front chainring. I've been told to expect to walk the hills. I was almost thinking about no riding because of it. then I thought "stop being a damned wimp". good to hear other geared riders may have to walk, I don't want to feel all alone.

·
Single Speed
117 Posts
I rode it SS 34:17. Great fun. Many sharp little rocks and Lots of flats out there. I had 2 flats and and 1 crash associated with the first flat. (Should be Flat Tire Fest) But still great fun. The short track on Friday was exhaustingly fast and fun. Trials and downhill was great to watch Saturday. The after parties were off the chain, with fire eaters and such.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
fatad said:
I rode it SS 34:17. Great fun. Many sharp little rocks and Lots of flats out there. I had 2 flats and and 1 crash associated with the first flat. (Should be Flat Tire Fest) But still great fun. The short track on Friday was exhaustingly fast and fun. Trials and downhill was great to watch Saturday. The after parties were off the chain, with fire eaters and such.
I raced it also on 34-17 gearing, I was riding a red Carver 96er. I recall a SS rider saying that he had already had two flats so I am guessing that was you. That was my first MTB race and only my 3rd ride on a SS and I was happy just to have actually made it to the finish. Looking back I should have raced in the beginner class and just rode my SS. Although it was hard it was a lot of fun. Hopefully next year my legs will be better prepared.

·
mosquito magnet
141 Posts
I looked at the site but couldn't find the results for the downhill race.
Any hints on finding it?
Also, at the downhill race there were a bunch of film crews around, anybody know how to contact these guys, I don't remember who they were with (I was stressing about the race and not paying attention).

·
Switchback Prince
816 Posts
i didn't even wanna look. I was doing so good, pacing myself, passing people; then i wrecked hard trying to pound out the first set of switchbacks. my handlebars got shifted a little to the side. I stopped to fix it and all these people passed me. later, the headset felt loose (prolly related to first issue), stopped once again. then, going down a fast hill, through a dip (that one just before ball feilds) my handlebar shifted again through that dip, sending me and the bike to the ground; must've not torqued clamps well enough when fixing headset. stopped again, more people passed. I stopped again one more time a little later just to ham fist the stem clamps; i was so angry. when climbing miner's rock there was a huge rattlesnake in the middle of the trail, had to get off the trail and walk around it. not a big deal by this point in time, it was actually kind of a treat. by the last mile of the race, I was feeling disheartned; I had to make myself go ahead and push hard, no matter what. still, all in all, it was a lot of fun. I love that trail.

·
Registered
217 Posts
BIBO

So far only the XC is posted - not even shure if they will post the DH.

The film crew guys said you had to source the footage through the promoter.
What was your plate #? I took a few still shots at the top.

·
mosquito magnet
141 Posts
I saw the results at the lunch afterwards, so I'm pretty sure I got 5th in the open class (19-39) I just wanted to make sure. I really don't care what my ranking was, so it's no biggie if they don't post it.
My plate number was 49.
I had a great time except for no shuttles on Friday :mad: , I bummed a couple rides from some guys that were cool enough to give me a lift but the shuttle would have been nice.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts