Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2006 ETSX 70, and would like to upgrade her shox from RP 3 to RP 23. Is the upgrade worth it cos I hear people saying that RP 23 has a better pro pedal system?

I've noticed that Rocky put the shox up side down, and in the official website they stated that the shox is a custom valved shox. Would the performance be affected if I upgrade to a regular RP 23 and put it up side down? or Does fox produce the up side down shox like the ETSX's one?

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
jangdika said:
I have 2006 ETSX 70, and would like to upgrade her shox from RP 3 to RP 23. Is the upgrade worth it cos I hear people saying that RP 23 has a better pro pedal system?

I've noticed that Rocky put the shox up side down, and in the official website they stated that the shox is a custom valved shox. Would the performance be affected if I upgrade to a regular RP 23 and put it up side down? or Does fox produce the up side down shox like the ETSX's one?
I suppose it is custom valved for Rocky, but the "upside down part" only means that the sticker on the sleeve is installed upside down.... you could probably check the "propedal level" that the Rocky-stock RP23 has and try to get a similar one (see the pick below for what I mean by "propedal level")

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply guys. I've send email to fox but no reply from them, and I am still waiting for RM answer.

Regarding PUSH'd Fox, I could not do it because I live in Indonesia, not US; in which, the custom tax, shipping and handling would cost me arm and leg.

I found an article from Mountain Bike Action , Desember 06 edition, that has the same opinion as Crissilo. It claims that flipping the shock has no minimal/difference effect in performance. However, my LBS told me not to change the fox since it is custom valved. It is really confusing, and anyone opinion is welcome. Should I upgrade or not?

Has any owner ETSX out there ever upgraded their rear shock?

·
LBS Manager
1,918 Posts
I had an 05 with a RP3 and now have an 07with a RP23 and can tell you the diference is minimal. There are some small improvments don't get me wrong but I would not spend the money to upgrade for such a minimal change in performance

·
"scared shitless"
264 Posts
Johnny Hair Boy said:
I had an 05 with a RP3 and now have an 07with a RP23 and can tell you the diference is minimal. There are some small improvments don't get me wrong but I would not spend the money to upgrade for such a minimal change in performance
sorry for being offtopic: how does the increased max. travel on the '07 compare to the max. 4,5" of the ets-x '05? can you tell the difference or is it just not noticeable?

·
LBS Manager
1,918 Posts
That is noticable. The newer angles are a big improvment for me. When you put the bike in the long travel mode the BB dops a bit and slakens the HA ( it usd to be the oposite). To me this makes more sense because we all know how the ETSX can feel like it's on stiltz at times.

·
Registered
55 Posts
What are the required Shock specs for the ETSX?

I have a 2002.5 and would like to maybe upgrade it later on, however it seems the RP23 comes in a variety configurations. Is it Total Length and Stroke?

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
ViperZX said:
^^^ Thanks!

It has to be those numbers? What if the shock has more stroke?
You could get a bit more travel (in theory), but clearance might not be enough, so parts might collide at full extension (better stay stock I'd suggest)... also the geometry of the bike might change...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.