Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, give me some feedback. I'm sure I'll get an earful, but go ahead and give it to me, I asked for it.

What are your thoughts on how the spider compares to the etsx?

Me? 6'2", 200lbs, 40yo, XC/AllMountain.

Thanks for any and all. :D

·
Registered
138 Posts
I had the exact same dilemma

HardTail610 said:
Hey guys, give me some feedback. I'm sure I'll get an earful, but go ahead and give it to me, I asked for it.

What are your thoughts on how the spider compares to the etsx?

Me? 6'2", 200lbs, 40yo, XC/AllMountain.

Thanks for any and all. :D
Before I bought my ETSX I actually had a deposit on an Intense Spider... I test rode the Spider before I rode the ETSX and thought this bike was for me... (The Spider had great pedigree, killer looks, all wrapped up with 4" of VPP travel). After test riding the ETSX, I can honestly say the ETSX climbs way better. Also with the 4.5" of travel the ETSX descends slightly better.

The Spider is a better overall stable platform bike, however in the 3.5" mode the ETSX holds it own in the stable platform department.

The Spider is slightly lighter however not really noticeable, especially climbing where the ETSX really shines.

The ETSX is plusher over rooty trails. However for all out hauling (high speed) the Spider wins out with its more XC stance.

In the stiffness category I would say they are both equal. No advantage. At your weight (2 bills) you may notice a bit of flex out of the saddle if you hammer the bikes, But at 185 (all geared up) I couldn't feel any flex....

If you are looking for more of a trail / all mountain design the ETSX wins if you are looking for a XC racer the Spider is your bike.

When you think about it.... You can't lose with either.... ;)

Hope this helps....

Jag

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks...

Thanks, those are good comments. I am tired from all this talk, and I just wanna ride! :cool:

And yea, I know you're right, like who is gonna climb on either of these bikes and complain? Shuttup and go!!!

Thanks to everyone, these forums have been really helpful!

:D

·
Registered
196 Posts
maybe you should compare to the 5.5

the spider is a crosscountry racer........the etsx is a light enduro racer........all mountain use at 200 pounds give a try to the intense 5.5

a friend of mine at 190 pounds, 50 year old doing majorly enduro rides in east canada as snapped two ETSX frames last season

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
ErrAzIb said:
a friend of mine at 190 pounds, 50 year old doing majorly enduro rides in east canada as snapped two ETSX frames last season
ErrAzIb, I think you need to elaborate on such a statement. I can do 3' to 4' drops/jumps on a XC hardtail frame with the tire pressure at 30 psi front and 35 psi rear all day without damaging anything (never even got a flat tire in several years of riding).

What is your friend doing to break two ETSX frames in one year?

·
Registered
196 Posts
GearHead said:
ErrAzIb, I think you need to elaborate on such a statement. I can do 3' to 4' drops/jumps on a XC hardtail frame with the tire pressure at 30 psi front and 35 psi rear all day without damaging anything (never even got a flat tire in several years of riding).

What is your friend doing to break two ETSX frames in one year?
If you are worry about the broken frames........the guy don'T.do.drop with these frames..

Short story: 2000 miles of trail riding last summer at the half season broke the first frame a 2004 ETSX 70, replaced under warranty seat tube snapped just under the rockerlink, this winter during the no-riding-because-too cold-season the LBS tech. found a cracked weld at the seat tube-BB junction replaced again under warranty.......

look at the 2005 frames, there is added gussets on theseat tube, probably for a good reason

ETSX is a good bike but IMO there is many bikes others too look at for heavy riders, and the comparaison with Spider is not right i think

thats all

·
Registered
196 Posts
!!!!

you have to look at the kind of rides you are doing (XC race, marathon, epic rides???),
look at the kind of terrain in the area you ride and finally know how much distance you will ride and how long you want keep the bike.

Hardtail610 look at ETSX or Spider, 2 dream frames on the light side of the force, i suggest the 5.5. All thoses frames if ridden seriously will have shorter life.....

The RM remain a very good choise but if you ride hard , do drops, ride very rocky terrain and ride more than 1000 miles on trail a year...it will perform very well but ''maybe'' not last longer than you wish.......... if you don't race.........the new giant (i think it is the trance) with 4 inchs rear and front. on the costy side..frame olny..turner 5 spot, the new (maybe not available) santacruz Blur LT

for my case: i'm 6.1foot , 200 pounds ride in the same terrain with my friend who have broke the ETSXs and i ride a Devinci Banzai 2004 last year and the new Remix 5 this year.

·
LBS Manager
1,918 Posts
ETSX will be fine

If you are at all smoth than the ETSX will be fine if your Element is still going strong than I don't think you will have any issues. You will be getting an 05 I assume so the seat tube breakage issue has been fixed as far as the guy who broke the BB shell weld it was more than likely an isolated case ( defective frame) or just a case of launching drops and landing like a idiot. The lightest xc bikes will handel reasonable drops if you are a smooth rider and land properly.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yea, I wondered what he was doin' to snap two frames too...

I'm not riding hard enough to be snappin' stuff, and I also don't want to be pushin added strength (weight) up hill if I don't need it...long story short, I think that my riding style (and my age) makes it ok for me to err on the side of lightness over strength...

I'm a little new to all these flavors (xc, xc racing, enduro, light enduro, all mountain, all mountain racing...) so perhaps there are subtleties being lost on me...and since this is my first FS, it's a little hard to predict how it will impact my riding...though I sure can't wait to find out!! :D :D :D

And sheesh, when did someone 6'2" become a "clydesdale" at 200# :rolleyes:

btw, even the folks who opted for the spider had nothing but good things to say about the etsx's climbing abilities...

·
livin' large
534 Posts
Have many buddies (7) who ride estx bikes (rockymountain is the brand of choice round these parts the out number everything else 3 to 1), and one who rides a spider. My obeservations are that if you want an allrounder get the Estx if you want a racer get the spider. Both types have their own mechanical maladies, both companies will step up if it's a warranty. Both bikes are very nice, Both bikes will suck a substanial wad of cash out of your wallet. If you're a halfway decent rider you can make either bike go very fast.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have an ETSX and really like the bike I also weigh 225. I find that I use all of the shock and have bent the Derailer hanger to the point it had to be replaced. I also notice flex in the frame which at times may affect handling. I think if I were going to ride in a location where there were drops, at my weight I would get something as metioned before with a bit more travel and a stiffer frame. If I am going to ride singletrack XC with small drops then the ETSX is it. Just a little more input from another heavy guy

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.